Astro Thread

Well, if the weather cooperates -- clear-skies-wise. Right now it doesn't look good for the far-West.
sad.gif

I sympathize. I've been clouded out of the three solar eclipses I have chased. Bad karma, I guess.

I sympathize. I've been clouded out of the three solar eclipses I have chased. Bad karma, I guess.

Might get lucky after all -- there are some gaps between cloud-cover here in central Oregon, and the moon was completely clear a few minutes ago, now with some thin wisps in front of it.
I've seen total lunar eclipses before, so this won't be once-in-a-lifetime...but still worth catching if I can.
So, I've got my camera with telephoto already mounted on tripod -- optimistically.
smile.gif

We'll see in a couple of hours...

Might get lucky after all -- there are some gaps between cloud-cover here in central Oregon, and the moon was completely clear a few minutes ago, now with some thin wisps in front of it.
I've seen total lunar eclipses before, so this won't be once-in-a-lifetime...but still worth catching if I can.
So, I've got my camera with telephoto already mounted on tripod -- optimistically.
smile.gif

We'll see in a couple of hours...

Overcast, and zero chance of a view. If the rain hadn't stopped, I would say it was like growing up in Seattle.

It's cleared out here in the Sacramento Mts. and the eclipse is looking good. There looks to be a fair amount of red transmitted through earth's atmosphere for this eclipse. Must be a lot of dust, etc. up in the atmosphere tonight. We'll see how it looks during totality.

Hope your weather is holding, MarkBC. I'm too lazy to set up a tripod, and i don't have a very good camera.

It's cleared out here in the Sacramento Mts. and the eclipse is looking good. There looks to be a fair amount of red transmitted through earth's atmosphere for this eclipse. Must be a lot of dust, etc. up in the atmosphere tonight. We'll see how it looks during totality.

Hope your weather is holding, MarkBC. I'm too lazy to set up a tripod, and i don't have a very good camera.

I caught it down here in Las Cruces, clouds cleared and the night went from very bright to quite dark. Not much color.

I saw it! Very thin overcast (thick enough to obscure most stars), but the moon still quite visible.
Didn't bother to photograph -- not that clear.
(I went to bed to get a couple of hours of sleep before the eclipse, with the alarm set for midnight. Alarm goes off and I get up and glance out the window: "Uh oh -- looks dark, no moonlight...I guess it must be cloudy. Oh...wait, that's right -- no moonlight because the moon is eclipsed." Duh.
tongue.gif
)

In case you missed it, I got a couple of half-way decent pics. Too lazy to haul out a mount and my battery died ('cause I forgot to charge it), but here you go anyway:
10-12-21-Eclipse01.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse02.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse03.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse03.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse04.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse05.jpg

10-12-21-Eclipse06.jpg

In case you missed it, I got a couple of half-way decent pics. Too lazy to haul out a mount and my battery died ('cause I forgot to charge it), but here you go anyway:

Nice sequence, Brett. :)
Where were you for this?

Nice sequence, Brett. :)
Where were you for this?

Just south of Denver. Heavy clouds over the mountains, but from just about Golden on east it was crystal clear. Storm stayed in the high country thankfully.

Thanks, highz. I'd heard it was coming, but didn't know the details.
I guess that means I'll have to camp on the west side of Steens Mt tonight so I can see the western horizon. :).

Thanks, highz. I'd heard it was coming, but didn't know the details.
I guess that means I'll have to camp on the west side of Steens Mt tonight so I can see the western horizon. :).

Better get packing! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up Mr. highz!

OK, I'm all ready for the big show!
Camped at Rock Creek Reservoir, NE of Hart Mt Refuge, with a clear view of the WNW horizon, telephoto already on my camera. Alarm set for 5am. (I don't care about penumbra, I'm all about umbra :D )
For better or worse, we're still under the big high pressure, so skies remain clear. :)

We had a ring side view.Actually we just laid in bed and watched it out the bathroom glass slider.Buy the time it became full it was too hazy over the ocean and it was getting light as the sun was coming up .It was still fun to watch.This is the only picture to share.

frank

Attachments

• DSCN3866.jpg
    DSCN3866.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
I tried, I walked down to the beach to get away from the street lights but with no tripod it was a poor attempt. Awesome to see though...

gallery_311_152_1111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom