Astro Thread

I sure wish I could drive to Death Valley for the weekend like many of you. Alas, I have to plan a cross-country expedition. It's hard to escape the lights of civilization here. When I do, I am usually in the woods- not ideal for star-gazing. I suppose there is some relatively dark prairie to the west. Might have to check that out one day.

I sure wish I could drive to Death Valley for the weekend like many of you. Alas, I have to plan a cross-country expedition. It's hard to escape the lights of civilization here. When I do, I am usually in the woods- not ideal for star-gazing. I suppose there is some relatively dark prairie to the west. Might have to check that out one day.

You shouldn't have to travel to see comet Pan-STARRS. You'll be looking in the west in twilight, anyway, so a dark site isn't an advantage in this case. The comet is naked-eye, but will look better in binoculars.

Hoping to catch a good view in this neck of the woods with the comet visible just above the Three Sisters Mtns west of Bend. Throw in a sliver of a moon and it might make for a nice pic. Extended forecast is showing some clouds with rain, finger crossed for a clear sunset.

You shouldn't have to travel to see comet Pan-STARRS. You'll be looking in the west in twilight, anyway, so a dark site isn't an advantage in this case. The comet is naked-eye, but will look better in binoculars.

Highz, thanks for the tips. I was reacting to the earlier photo and thinking more in general about truly being able to see the night sky, which I really can't being in the city. And I can't see the horizon either due to buildings and trees. That's why we got the camper! But I like looking for comets and will look for this one.

Highz, thanks for the tips. I was reacting to the earlier photo and thinking more in general about truly being able to see the night sky, which I really can't being in the city. And I can't see the horizon either due to buildings and trees. That's why we got the camper! But I like looking for comets and will look for this one.

I understand. Your idea of going to the prairie for dark skies sounds good. There used to be a big star party (maybe it still happens) in north-central Nebraska where the skies were really dark.

Here's a pic of PanSTARRS from Apache Point Observatory. The silhouette in the right foreground is the Sloan Digital Sky Survey telescope.

Photo credit: Richard Richins

PanSTARRSandSloan.jpg

Here's a pic of PanSTARRS from Apache Point Observatory. The silhouette in the right foreground is the Sloan Digital Sky Survey telescope.

Photo credit: Richard Richins

View attachment 16072

Cool!

Cool indeed. We've been looking every night since Friday. no joy thus far. We'll be on it again tonight...I have faith.

Well, it's time to give this thread a bump. There's a bright nova in the constellation Delphinus that should be easily visible to the naked eye from a dark site. Even in the city, you should be able to see it with binoculars. Here are the relevant charts and info:

Hope you wanderers get a chance to see it.

Up to yesterday comet ISON has been something of a bust. However, reports are coming in that it is undergoing an outburst, and may reach naked-eye magnitude. It should be easy to spot in binoculars. The catch is it's a morning sky object, so you have to get up before dawn to see it. Should be perfect for the ski3pins. ;)

Here is the info: Earthsky

There's a new comet, Lovejoy on the rise.
Saw this post on FB, by Jeff Sullivan. He took the shot at Topaz Lk, NV

"This is the recently discovered Comet C/2013 R1 Lovejoy, captured approximately 3 am on November 14, 2013. Not yet visible to the naked eye without binoculars of a telescope, this comet doesn't reach the sun until Dec 22, so it still has 5 weeks to warm up and throw off a bigger tail of debris, and brighten considerably. It could be spectacular in late December, perhaps well into January!."
1461112_10152009142529645_1175126596_n.jpg

credit Jeff Sullivan Photography

GEMINID METEOR SHOWER THIS WEEKEND! :eek:

I've read (somewhere) that the Geminid shower is typically the best of the year (not counting the 30-year extravaganza by the Leonids). According to the December 13th note on the 2014 ONDA Wild Desert Calendar, up to 100 meteors/hour may be spotted if seeing conditions are good.

Saturday (tomorrow) night to Sunday morning (Dec 13-14, best after midnight on the 14th) is when it's happening.
Unfortunately, the Moon will interfere...but still could be worth catching before the Moon intrudes if cloud-conditions permit.

Check the link at the top of this post for details.

Resuscitating the Lovejoy reports. I was surprised HighZ or someone else hadn't given us a 'heads up!'.

I've been hearing the Lovejoy was in the solar neighborhood, but hadn't really followed up on it. Yesterday was the peak at 4.3 magnitude, quite visible to the naked eye, especially for wanderers like us who shy away from city lights.

I just went out back with a pair of 8x42 bino's and spotted a suspect grey fuzzball, which was quite clear with the 'nocs. Lovejoy is to the west of Orion and below the Pleiades (the Seven Sisters). Good location info here

Back
Top Bottom