At long last - The official All Terrain Campers WTW flatbed edition thread

Regarding the door - ...I don't remember all the factors that went into deciding on a right-side door. There are only a few flatbed campers in the US and they all have the door on the right side so I know there's another reason for it I'm just not thinking of it right now.

Isn't it because in the USA we park on the right side of the road, so if the door is on the right side you don't have to stand in the traffic lane to enter?
All camp trailers and motorhomes have entrance doors on the right side too, (in non-British-Empire countries, anyway), so I bet that's why.

One reason the door is on the right side is so you don't step into traffic when you exit the camper when parked on the street.

Mike

How about getting in and out of the camper on the non traffic side if need be.....or Are y'feelin' lucky? Well are ya.

We bolted the camper to the bed.

Once you're used your rig a bit I'd like to hear your thoughts on it combined with the UTE bed. I'm ideally still going to shoot for tie downs in the corners for an easier install but I've got blocking in my floor pack to do bolt through as well.

The hose I use on my propane tank is long enough to reach on the other side. Nice being able to cook on either side. Never know how you'll wind up situated.

OK so Darwin specified that passenger side doors are the standard.

I am happy when there is a post on WTW that just brightens my day. :rolleyes:

Hey DD

Just wanted to make a quick post you say congradulations on the new camper.

That truck & camper look awesome together !

A+ on all your hard work on designing it.

I wish you the best on your travels and new adventures.

Happy Camping

:)

After finally spending some significant time in the camper I can now say I am extremely pleased with how it all turned out. Extra props for ATC for delivering a product of outstanding quality - especially in light of a very difficult custom build.

At this point the only thing I would change are the dimensions of the bench seats inside. I designed them around a certain sized container I wanted to store under them (through the outside storage hatches). Now that I have used the camper I know that the benches are too tall to be ideal seats. Knowing that, I would reduce the size of the storage a bit and reduce the height of the seats probably about 2 inches.

My thinking about this project has always been "what would make a good stock layout for a hypothetical production flatbed camper". With that in mind the sink-in-a-drawer didn't seem like an ideal final product feature (note that Marty came up with this to save me from my mistakes in planning). I've had inquiries as how I'd do this differently and after much discussion and thought on my part my conclusion is I wouldn't want to change any of the cabinet dimensions to accommodate a sink. So that means its either the SMEV I originally planned around and could not get, or the sink in the drawer. Despite its complications I do have to say I like my sink in a drawer a lot.

It sure looks like a great design. Seems like the too-tall seats can be easily adjusted with a footrest (folding or otherwise). Do you have a mod in mind?

It sure looks like a great design. Seems like the too-tall seats can be easily adjusted with a footrest (folding or otherwise). Do you have a mod in mind?

I don't have anything in mind right now. An unexpected benefit of my Engel is it makes a great foot rest when I have it slid out into the walkway :)

How tall are your seats currently?

I'm currently wandering the Earth like Cane from Kung Fu. No tape measure.

I'm currently wandering the Earth like Cane from Kung Fu. No tape measure.

Haha, good deal. Whenever you get a tape throw out a measurement, also curious how tall your door is and how well it works out with the folding steps which have their first step at the flatbed level. I'm thinking seriously about just going to single door now in the lower camper (works okay in my FWC since I'm stepping down), I'm just wondering if dealing with that first step/ledge makes it a little harder or not.

I'm currently wandering the Earth like Cane from Kung Fu.

Barefoot? Watch out for those cacti!

Ugh sorry for repeatedly forgetting about this! The seat height of the cabinet is about 20.5 inches with cushions that are about 4 inches thick. However the cushion height doesnt mean much as it gets compressed a lot. Anyone know the seat height of a standard FWC?

Back
Top Bottom