AT Overland Fuel Can Corner Bracket

eyemgh

We just added Mule awning mounts. Our AT Overland jerry can holder will mount directly to it without the AT bracket. I was going to throw the bracket away and then I remembered I paid for it and was sort of aghast at what they were charging. Turns out it was $88!!! It's only 90º aluminum with 6 holes drilled into it.

I love the can holder, but think the bracket it a complete rip. As a result, in a pay it forward sort of way to the WTW community, you pay shipping and it's your...gratis. I'll be incommunicado for a few days. To be fair, first reply gets it.

https://atoverland.com/products/four-wheel-camper-fuel-can-corner-bracket

I'd take it, but it looks like you need the corner jack brackets installed to make this work?

I have both the AT holder and the Mule Awning brackets. I just went out to look at mine and I can not figure out how you can attach the can holder by itself to the Mule bracket. Unless they changed something it looks like the FWC screws that go into the jack bracket will throw the can holder to far out.
Part of the AT mount is the plate that goes underneath the overhang at the bottom of the can holder. To me that is a key part in holding up and stabilizing the weight of a full jerry can. If you give away your mount (which is very generous and would have jumped on it) you will/should go out and buy a new heavy piece of aluminum plate.
I put my can on the other side of the awning because the weight of those brackets and the weight of the awning (ARB 10’) was enough, IMHO, for one jack bracket going down a 4X4 road.
I too poo poo’d the price until I called around to metal fabricators trying to find heavy aluminum angle and plate, most had a minimum more than I needed and where an hour away, had to go buy bolts etc and in the end the AT was not that much more expensive and a heck of a lot easier.
Just a few thoughts before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

@eyemgh ; which awning brackets from Mule did you get that you can attach the Jerry can holder to?

The bracket has been updated. It's now raw and looks like stainless. Seems a little too shiny and heavy to be aluminum, but it might be. Hope the pic attaches.

Attachments

• Mule-AT.jpg
    Mule-AT.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 86
JWL said:
Part of the AT mount is the plate that goes underneath the overhang at the bottom of the can holder. To me that is a key part in holding up and stabilizing the weight of a full jerry can. If you give away your mount (which is very generous and would have jumped on it) you will/should go out and buy a new heavy piece of aluminum plate.
Yes, I'm keeping the little piece under. It doesn't attack to anything because without lifting the camper, you can't get to where it would attach. I don't have jacks.

To stop any swing, I drilled a small hole into the bottom side of the holder and larger hole into the thickest part of the angle bracket on the camper exterior behind where the can mounts. I epoxied a male external threaded, female machine screw internal threaded device (Iit has a name, but for the life of me, I've forgotten) Then I put a 1 cm sleeve on the bolt as it exited the holder to stand it off the camper by that much and be parallel with the back wall. It's bulletproof.

I'm keeping the AT bottom plate pictured here because I figure that even without it being attached it'll protect against downward shear on bumps.

For visual reference, that’s the bottom of the can holder top left, the plate that comes with it on the bottom, the camper to the right, and the 1 cm over the stainless bolt that goes into the threaded insert.

https://www.rockler.com/steel-threaded-inserts-select-size?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQjwssyJBhDXARIsAK98ITQtmhhUtKO47ymtOCS4oqd_QW53NExtsWWonqAi-IcTO80LWvNm7g8aArHPEALw_wcB

Attachments

• AT shim.jpg
    AT shim.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 55
bajaphile said:
I'd take it, but it looks like you need the corner jack brackets installed to make this work?
Yes, like the Mule awning mount, it’s designed to mount to FWC Jack brackets.

Final product.

Attachments

• IMG_6063.jpeg
    IMG_6063.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 82
eyemgh said:
Yes, I'm keeping the little piece under. It doesn't attack to anything because without lifting the camper, you can't get to where it would attach. I don't have jacks.

To stop any swing, I drilled a small hole into the bottom side of the holder and larger hole into the thickest part of the angle bracket on the camper exterior behind where the can mounts. I epoxied a male external threaded, female machine screw internal threaded device (Iit has a name, but for the life of me, I've forgotten) Then I put a 1 cm sleeve on the bolt as it exited the holder to stand it off the camper by that much and be parallel with the back wall. It's bulletproof.

I'm keeping the AT bottom plate pictured here because I figure that even without it being attached it'll protect against downward shear on bumps.

For visual reference, that’s the bottom of the can holder top left, the plate that comes with it on the bottom, the camper to the right, and the 1 cm over the stainless bolt that goes into the threaded insert.

https://www.rockler.com/steel-threaded-inserts-select-size?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQjwssyJBhDXARIsAK98ITQtmhhUtKO47ymtOCS4oqd_QW53NExtsWWonqAi-IcTO80LWvNm7g8aArHPEALw_wcB
I just wanted to add that with my Hawk and Tundra I did not have much room and did not want to jack up the camper to attach the plate. I wedged a piece of wood (1/4-3/8”?) between the plate and the truck rail and from inside the truck, using my x-Ray vision, multiple prayers and dubious methods of measuring, I drilled a hole through the shelf of the camper and through the plate. The first one actually hit the hole that was pre drilled into the plate and the other not but it was more where I wanted it. I then put the nut in a box wrench with a piece of masking tape on the bottom to hold it in place, had my wife line it up with the bolt coming down from the camper, tightened it up and the plate was attached. All in all probably took less time than jacking up the camper.

Back
Top Bottom