Attaching Solar Panels Options- Fasten to a Yakima rack?

Acunat

I have an older Ranger.
The FWC shop in Woodland replaced my roof skin in early January, since I was plagued with leaking.

FWC reinstalled my solar panel using 4 flanges- 2 flanges on each side, front and back.
They were supposed to reinstall the 2 long side rails of the Yakima system, but instead installed 2 shorter rails (gratis) on each side of the roof.

Then, I noticed that my solar panel was lifting off of the roof in April.
They have said that it was installed incorrectly.

I have been working w/them to solve this since May 13.
Their engineer recommended a "fix" to be done where I live in Portland.
It appears that they would pay for it.
I will be talking to them since their fix isn't sound and could develop problems.

I haven't heard how they would warranty it.

I don't know if I should petition to get a new roof skin and put the 1 long Yakima rails back on.
That would involve another 1000 mile RT trip to Woodland.
OR, if I should do a fix here.

I researched past discussion on how to attach a panel.
I am especially interested in attaching the panel to the cross bars for the protection of the panel.

It would be nice to hear from members (esp leadsled9, who posted extensively on mounting a panel to the crossbars in 11-2010) ---

How stable has the method of mounting the solar panel to the yak rack cross bars worked out over time?

Attached is a pic of the current/faulty installation.
Thanks!
Acunat

Attachments

• Acunat- roof screws loose (pass. side).jpg
    Acunat- roof screws loose (pass. side).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 471
The solar panel mounted to the cross bars has worked out great!

I have literally pounded this set up and it has proven itself sturdy. I was initially afraid to mount the panel to the roof for exactly the problem you describe.

I had initially mounted the panel to the cross bars as a temporary solution....but have since then decided to make it a permanent solution. It is very sturdy.

I've never mounted a solar panel specifically, but we have Yakima racks on some of our work trucks and I used tube clamps for mounting various things and it seemed plenty durable.

IIRC, the Yakima tubes use 1.25" tube clamps

The nice thing about mounting to the Yakima racks is that it allows plenty of flexing so when you are twisting down those jeep trails there is not enough torque to rip the screws out of the roof like in Acunat's picture.

I switched out my 85 watt solar panel for a larger one. I ended up removing the middle section of Yakima rails on my camper roof to make room for the larger panel. I sold my 85 watt panel to my camping friend, who also has a Hawk. He went to the local hardware store and bought two aluminum "L" shaped rods, and installed my old solar panel to his Yakima rails. You can order the Yakima plates for the rail that the bolts will fasten to. Now I look at the mess I did with my upgrade and wish I had mounted my new panel to the existing Yakima rails. If I was buying another FWC, I would consider mounting my solar panel on to the Yakima rails rather than directly to the roof.

The solar panel plug is a tight squeeze under the panel (which means the panel sits nice and low) but my friend thinks it will be fine and is pleased with his new solar panel.

Steve

Acunat, looks like FWC replaced your old roof with the new one piece roof. Nice! On the Yakima tracks, the longer track is just another piece of track. The tracks comes in 5' increments.

It looks like a relatively easy repair. I would take up FWC's offer have it repaired locally and install another another 5' track and mount the solar panel on the track. But having the work done by FWC would bring some continuity incase of failure in the future that's within the specified warranty period.

Back
Top Bottom