Atwood Everest Star: Berkon Industries

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
8012 12k BTU Atwood Everest Star-- $391.44, freight prepaid.
atwood7916furnace.bmp

I think "probably" the catalytic heater is safe enough, &c, but I decided to use worst case analysis. BTW, after researching the heater topic 'exhaustively' I decided to remove the soft copper, flexible propane line and quick disconnect from my camper as well. I replaced the soft copper with corrugated SS tubing.

I'll try to do an installation report in the appropriate sub-forum.

This is the one FWC is using now.

I decided to remove the soft copper,

Background info on this? Issues I might be unaware of? All I can think is vibration fatigue depending on how its supported.

<snip> Background info on this? Issues I might be unaware of? All I can think is vibration fatigue depending on how its supported.

When I remodeled a while ago, I noticed there were some spots where the soft copper tubing had been rubbing on things, and showed wear. I was going to replace with soft copper, but heard corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) doesn't work harden like copper, doesn't crack like copper and doesn't kink like copper. It has become the new standard for connecting gas appliances instead of loops of soft copper.

So, no issues, except that I intended to replace the old tubing anyway, and CSST is the new standard practice.

Weird. I JUST found your post, after buying the exact same furnace from the same company. I'm replacing an older Hydro Flame OP 8012PF in my camper. I installed it tonight and it works perfectly.
One word of advice - fire it up outside the camper or the stink from the parts getting hot for the first time will make your eyes burn.

Frank

If soft copper can flex at all it will eventually work harden enough to crack. I've never seen it do that, but I know that it can happen. So check any soft copper lines for movement, they need to be supported so that they can not vibrate.

Also, just in case anyone happens to be reading this and has a diesel fueled furnace (long shot, I know); copper and diesel fuel do not play well together. The copper appears to catalyze (?) a sludge forming reaction in the fuel.

Back
Top Bottom