Atwood On-Demand Water Heater

PJorgen

Anyone using the Atwood on-demand water heater? I'm considering replacing my Atwood 6 gallon water heater as a winter project at the end the season.

The Atwood is supposed to fit in the same opening as the 6 gallon model and use the same connections. Probably not quite plug and play, but doesn't look too difficult. Cost is about $700-800.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experience with this unit. Worth it?

I'm not sure if anyone has ever done this mod. I've seen lots of exterior on demand water heaters but never a direct replacement. I'd love to see pictures of how it works if you end up doing it.

Glad someone enjoyed the humor.

I may do this mod next winter, although we don't have much of a winter here in the Bay Area. We rarely use the water heater because we usually want only a small amount of hot water and it takes a lot of time and propane to heat 6 gallons.

From what I've seen the difficult part of the installation will be accessing the back of the unit to connect the water, propane and electrical. That will have to be done through the cabinets in the interior. Access is limited and I don't want to have to disassemble the cabinets. Maybe there is enough slack in all the lines to connect them from the exterior prior to fully installing the unit.

I'll continue to think about this over the summer and hope someone posts a YouTube video of the install. Will report back if and when I do it.

Agreed, that is what we do, and probably will continue to do unless I decide to pull the trigger on this thing.

I'm interested also. 6 gals is a lot to heat when you just need to was some dishes, not to mention the space it takes up.

COBlue said:
I'm interested also. 6 gals is a lot to heat when you just need to was some dishes, not to mention the space it takes up.
As far as space goes, it appears that the on-demand heater takes up almost as much space as the standard 6 gallon. Not absolutely sure about this, just going from pics I've seen on-line.

Back
Top Bottom