Autumnal Equinox 2016!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
The Sun "crossed" the Earth's equator, "southbound", at 7:21 a.m. PDT (14:21 UT) today.

A lot of people also call today "the first day of fall/autumn"...but meteorologists and climatologists say that fall/autumn started September 1. And since "seasons" are mostly about "weather" -- I'm going with the weather professionals. ;)

Whatever season you call it, it's the time when, for a couple of days, all over the world -- pole to equator to pole -- there's (more or less) the same amount of daylight and same amount of night. Which I think is pretty cool. :)
Maybe calls for a chorus or two of kumbaya.

I like this season!

NASA-seasonalvariations.jpg

Start singing Mark.
Looks like you have been having some cool weather.Maybe some "snow" at the high peaks of the Sierra/Cascades.
Enjoy the fall,Christmas is just down the block.
Frank

Don't say that Frank!Vernal EQ be danged! I mean just because we had an almost 30 degree drop in temp in a couple of days to a cool 59 and low's in the 30's (20's and snow in the high country) and I just started a fire in the fire place and it is raining-a cool rain not a happy summer one! On Friday it will be back in the low 70's and 89 by next Monday-nothing unusual going on here but I refuse to buy X-mas gifts much less think about them :cautious: ! Well maybe the cold will kill off the meat bees anyway :D !

Smoke

Think I'll celebrate tonight at one of my local spots, old school style, sans camper. Hope to encounter similar temps.

Smokecreek1 said:
Don't say that Frank!Vernal EQ be danged! I mean just because we had an almost 30 degree drop in temp in a couple of days to a cool 59 and low's in the 30's (20's and snow in the high country) and I just started a fire in the fire place and it is raining-a cool rain not a happy summer one! On Friday it will be back in the low 70's and 89 by next Monday-nothing unusual going on here but I refuse to buy X-mas gifts much less think about them :cautious: ! Well maybe the cold will kill off the meat bees anyway :D !

Smoke
No Christmas gifts here either. Actually we came home from the trip and decided that this will be our last family trip to Barcelona for a few years,our cal. daughter is having a baby in the spring,so they won't be traveling much for a while. So this one is all of us going to Spain for the holidays. OK with me I was having a Spanish food withdraw.
Any way happy autumn.
Frank

Looks like we're in for a wild ride, temperature-wise, over the next 10 days in Bend, with 'summer' making what will likely be its final 2016 appearance Monday.

Weather_20160923-1.jpg

Yesterday I turned the furnace on for the first time since spring.
We've had a very light rain so far this morning.

One of our autumn rituals early tomorrow morning, we celebrate a satire written in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin on how Parisians could save on candle wax.

6-8 inches of wet heavy white stuff yesterday afternoon and overnight. Got the holiday tree cut and dragged into the house as it began to come down. Ran "Ole Brute" the 37" snowblower for over an hour this morning. Sun's out now, maybe a little more snow overnight. Just a few more days until meteorological winter!

Wow, that's pretty cool (no puns intended)! All we have here is rain and fog. Have only had a couple of nights below freezing (just barely) so far. Mother Nature is very confused.

There's a Winter Storm Warning for the Oregon Cascades.

NWS_Map_20161127-1.jpg

Bend has just a High Wind Warning, but there's Winter Weather Advisory for the higher elevations on three sides of us.
From the National Weather Service Western Region HQ webpage.

It's 36° F at my house at 7 p.m., but it felt colder when I went to the store a while ago -- maybe just not yet used to (almost) winter.

Well, I better get the shovel out and get to work on my front steps before it gets any deeper!

20161128_074415.jpg

;)

Back
Top Bottom