Meteorological Winter

We just returned from a great mid-winter break in South America. The respite from our central Oregon winter was much needed. I love getting a chance to look down on recognizable terrain while flying between cities. The views of the HIgh Sierras on Tuesday afternoon were stunning as we made out final connection form LAX to our local airport in Redmond. The entire Sierras are holding an amazing amount of snow and it looked like the snow on the Sierra eastside and White Mtns was significant also. Spring skiing in the high country should be quite satisfying. Wished I had a better seat (just behind the wing) for taking a phone pic but the location combined with a really scratched up and dirty porthole did not lend itself to photography.

I don't believe it-it snowed again last night; it looks like about 4-6 inches-more than they thought! Gee, the rain had finally just washed the snow away from the last storm just a few days ago and we have been worried about flooding with the creeks and rivers ever where overflowing! The suns out now, but it's supposed to drop into the teens tonight and have a chance to snow all week! What a crazy weather year it is. Supposed to head to Reno on Thursday, guess I had better dig out the truck and clear the driveway. Just heard the snow plow go by---is it to early to have a drink-where is Spring anyway?

Smoke

It's 5:00 somewhere...

Typical macro weather pattern for CA. No rain of snow for 10 years, then 10 years worth of rain and snow in 1 year. Looks good when you average it out...

Seems like such a short time ago I was saying we might finally get to fill our reservoirs. Never thought we'd fill them over and over again!

Ah, with spring fast approaching....................................six inches of snow overnight. I need to top off my gas can for the snowblower today; note to self.

I thought I saw where Mammoth was projecting skiing on the 4th of July. My dad had told me he had skied there on the 4th back in the 50's

Three to six inches of snow predicted for here. Winter continues.

Winter Weather Advisory
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
330 AM PST Sun Feb 26 2017

CAZ069-270200-
/O.CON.KSTO.WW.Y.0011.170226T2300Z-170227T1200Z/
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the city of Blue Canyon
330 AM PST Sun Feb 26 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 4 AM PST MONDAY...

* TIMING...Snow will begin this afternoon, be heaviest this
  evening, and will taper off to lighter snow by Monday morning.

* MAIN IMPACT...Weekend travelers could experience travel
  delays, chain controls, and slick roadways.

* SNOW AMOUNTS...Between 4 and 8 inches of snow expected for
  mountain passes, including Interstate 80 and Highway 50. Lighter
  amounts of snow up to 1 inch can be expected down to 2000 feet.

Sure could use some of that California weather. Where I live (south central New Mexico) we only have about 30 percent of normal snowpack, and some migrating birds are showing up about three weeks early. We have had our first wildfires in the last few days - at the end of February! Unheard of. On top of that, delays in federal hiring mean the seasonal firefighters are going to have to push hard to get their training in (although they have been hired now). I wonder if I'll be starting in the fire lookout early, too.

highz said:
Sure could use some of that California weather. Where I live (south central New Mexico) we only have about 30 percent of normal snowpack, and some migrating birds are showing up about three weeks early. We have had our first wildfires in the last few days - at the end of February! Unheard of. On top of that, delays in federal hiring mean the seasonal firefighters are going to have to push hard to get their training in (although they have been hired now). I wonder if I'll be starting in the fire lookout early, too.
We are enjoying a short period of blocking high pressure, perhaps the pattern is changing. Let's wish for moisture to move your way.

It warmed up today. The downspouts from the gutters started to drip today, a new sound on this last day of meteorological winter. Spring starts tomorrow!

If you'd asked me in December would I be tired of rain in March I'd have thought you were crazy. Its nice to have a break. Going to take my one day off today and go install new seat covers in the truck. I'm sure Riley will happily lay in the sun while I work.

Back
Top Bottom