awning advice

journeygirl

Hi all

I'm thinking of putting an awning on my Eagle camper. I like the wrap-around awnings, and I'm considering the Eezi Batwing awning and the Alu-cab shadow awning that Four Wheel Campers offers. Anyone have any opinions about either of these awnings or another awning that you like?

Thank you and happy summer camping out there!

My Wife (who is 5' 4" or so) was dead certain she wanted a Bat-Wing style awning when we were getting ready to order our camper. Our dealer let her try to deploy and both a Bat-Wing and then the Fiamma awning..... and within seconds she changed her mind. For me, the Fiamma is the simplest and easiest and best awning out there. I am 100% ok without having the wrap-around feature in order to have such a simple and robust awning that deploys or retracts with ease by anyone, and is housed in a hard protective container. Just my .02

I also considered the batwing but was turned off by the weight, how much it stuck out and above the camper and of course the price. I plan on going with a simple arb awning for simplicity and weight. Plus they make all kinds of accessories to make it in to an enclosed space for kids or to get away from bugs. I agree the Fiamma is the easiest and strongest though. I’m constantly playing the weight reduction game on my eagle.

I have an Alu-cab shadow awn in waiting for our FWC to be installed at delivery. I went by reviews on the wraparound style awnings. Unfortunately cannot give you a first hand experience yet.

I wanted a simple and lightweight awning for a little shade. I did not want a heavy awning hanging off the top of my camper. So I made the following:

IMG_1006.jpeg IMG_1007.jpegIMG_1008.jpeg

I attached the two stainless D rings to the camper with VHB tape and 4 screws. The poles are MSR adjustable tent poles. They are in lowest position in picture. The tarp I got on Amazon - it is 8 foot by 8 foot. They have all different sizes and colors. It is big enough, but not too big to be a problem in wind. I use bungie cord with ball to attach to camper to keep it taut. It all works very well for my use.

In my next post I show a square tube type holder I installed to hold the awning and poles.

Skey said:
I have an Alu-cab shadow awn in waiting for our FWC to be installed at delivery. I went by reviews on the wraparound style awnings. Unfortunately cannot give you a first hand experience yet.
I've had a shadow awn sitting in my shop since November waiting for me to install, it's just been lower on my priority list of things to do. Very curious to see what FWC uses to mount it to your unit.

Did they (FWC) indicate that they have come up with some sort of mount? I know they kinda partnered with Equipt and Paul May to do the Eezi-Awn, didn't know that they were also doing Alu-Cabs.

Here is a little exterior storage that does not add to wind resistance, and in fact might help a bit.

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

This is a very sturdy vinyl 5 inch by 5 inch post cover from Home Depot, with caps (one on each end). To attach the caps I just drilled a hole and used a solid wire bent to shape, and used the solid wire for a holder to remove. To attach the vinyl post cover I had to shim it out on top and back with a thin plywood, which I painted. I glued it all in and then used a few screws at ends to hold it more securely to top. It seems very solid, and I think it actually adds to the rigidity of the camper overhang. This gives me a bit of exterior storage, which I am now using to store the rolled up awning and poles. And there is still room for some other items. This might be nice for storage fishing poles.

ARB was mentioned above, and I'll give my take on them as I've used one for the past 7 years on my 80 series Land Cruiser.

Pros:
  • Cost
  • Weight
  • Simplicity
  • Room addition/shade attachment options
Cons:
  • Difficult to deploy and store solo, especially if mounted high. Since the top of my FWC (where it would mount) is 8' it would be impossible to store it without stepping on something.
  • They leak water like a sieve at the seams
  • Extension arm nylon/plastic joints, while durable, are still fairly fragile. I've broken one while deploying solo.
  • Unless a DEAD CALM day, you better think about tying it down. (i generally used full jerry cans of water/fuel that I carry when camped on sandstone/rock).
  • While your out of the direct sun, the heat will still radiate through.
  • Internal velcro straps that hold the whole thing in a rapped roll under the outer bag fail over time. Not a part you can buy from ARB, though I guess you can fab your own. (I got my local dealer to warranty mine)

The right style of awning depends a lot on how you camp. If you are more a traveller or hiker that moves every day, then being quick to deploy and retract is most important, and the Fiamma is definitely miles ahead in that regard. If you are more of a base camper who goes to one spot and camps for a couple of days and stays with the camper, then the wrap around awnings with the most shade may be a good idea.

We are rarely by the camper during the day, and mostly spend one and at most 2 nights in one spot, so for us the Fiamma makes the most sense, and I even remove that in the winter when it is just dead weight.

A camping buddy has an ARB style bag awning on his van, and neither he or I are impressed with the bag style awnings. The same or less shade than the fiamma, 2-3 times as long to set up and take down and even longer with only one person. It is also much more sensitive to wind.

One more pro for the Fiamma that I just recalled. If you are ever stuck in a traffic construction lineup, or waiting in a ferry lineup, or find yourself camped close to a tree, etc... you can partially deploy the Fiamma out. I don't see that being possible with any of the full wrap-around awnings

Zirdu said:
I wanted a simple and lightweight awning for a little shade. I did not want a heavy awning hanging off the top of my camper. So I made the following:
Thanks for sharing! I have a large MSR Zing tarp that I want to anchor to my camper. Having those fixed D rings would certainly ease the pitching process, especially in the wind.

I am all about simplicity. I like the idea of being able to just crank out the owning and not have to screw around with packing, or if the zipper breaks or if I am too close to a tree. I also use a bug net that I made around the awning certain times of the year and want one that has a frame to support that. There are times I wish I did not have the support legs, but that is minor. The Fiamma awning has met those requirements better than others. I have used it a lot for 8 years and have never had any problem. I can put it out, my wife puts it out, is easy and reliable. I certainly would get the same thing again if I was starting all over.

moveinon,

Do you have a photo of your bug net around the awning? Great idea. Do you have any comments on how you made it? If it functions well I may end up finally installing a Fiamma awning. I have been a bit reticent to install an awing - just hasn't seemed to be a god enough "return on investment." But having it double as a bug shelter - that might be a winner.

trikebubble said:
My Wife (who is 5' 4" or so) was dead certain she wanted a Bat-Wing style awning when we were getting ready to order our camper. Our dealer let her try to deploy and both a Bat-Wing and then the Fiamma awning..... and within seconds she changed her mind. For me, the Fiamma is the simplest and easiest and best awning out there. I am 100% ok without having the wrap-around feature in order to have such a simple and robust awning that deploys or retracts with ease by anyone, and is housed in a hard protective container. Just my .02
Ditto...Except it was me that wanted the Bat-Wing. I went through the expense of removing my Fiamma only to later abandon the Bat-Wing and go back to the Fiamma. Unless you are tall enough to reach and deploy the Bat-Wing, it is a total pain to deploy and put away. Any slight wind with the Bat-Wing and you need to stake it down or risk damage. Also, the zipper bag easily tears. During a deploy, I got the zipper/bag caught on the pivot hinge and tore the zipper, thus rendering the bag un-closable.

Unless you stay in a spot for a few days, I never deployed the Bat-Wing. Great idea but not practical.

canfindtom
I don't have any pictures, but could't be much simpler. Bought enough bug fabric to go around the awning and sewed velcro strip to the top of bug material then sewed on all around that strip little short strips perpendicular to it about every 8 or 10 inches that when installed the little strips go over the frame of the awning then stick to back to longer velcro to hold it up. Went to dollar store and got 3 containers of 1/2 inch magnets that I have stuck to each other with bug material in between on the bottom of the bug net to hold down the bottom if there is any wind. To take down and store I just undo the short velcro strips and roll up the two pieces and stuff right above the bumpers in front of the camper and the magnets hold them well in place.

View attachment 37271View attachment 37271View attachment 37271I have used an ARB on my truck topper for years and plan on moving it to my Hawk when it arrives. I also have the Deluxe Room wit a floor that makes a great bug room or extended living quarters (great for company) We only set that up when we are staying in one place for several days. Like any “tent” they need to be guyed out and staked or you will have trouble in a wind.

I am planning on installing it on the jack brackets with these from Mule. Anybody out there use these?
They seem nice because they pivot away from the latches.

29CF0400-A47E-418F-98CF-0F691EF1C83A.jpeg

https://dasmule.com/products/mule-four-wheel-camper-arb-awning-brackets-pre_order
how do you rotate a pic on here? :/
Thanks Wandering Sagebrush! :)

Back
Top Bottom