Awning side of camper

Today I picked up my aluminum mount for the awning from the welder. Cost $30 So I brought it home and attached the awning to it. I was concerned about the bolts on the backside tearing into the siding of the camper, so I used some flex water tube and drilled a couple of holes on each 5" piece to cover the bolt ends and act as a bumper against the camper. The awning fits nicely against the camper and I've attached the screen room too. I used some eye bolts on the corner brackets on the other side to run some lines of 550 para cord for drying laundry or attaching the thermal cloaking device and camo netting so I can hide from any imperial storm troopers flying overhead..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 148
Thanks takesiteasy. If anyone does copy this, I went with the sq tubes on the inside of the brackets to be in line with the trim on the camper. When I first started to build it. I had to use some thick wire as a spacer btw the tube and the bracket due to the inside corner welds on the brackets and the mounting screws holding the bracket to the camper. I did that and clamped it in place, and then drilled my holes to match. The brackets aren't perfectly straight or level. The front one is slightly off canter.

100acrehuphalump said:
I need to make a nice mahogany cover for the three rear bolt ends otherwise someone's gonna get hurt. I don't want to cut them and mess up the thread but I haven't found any shorter ones yet.
An acorn nut on the bolt ends would be a reasonable temporary measure.

Glad to hear all brain systems now functioning 100%!

Also good to hear, the awning is GTG down the highway!

Can't wait to see the awning at OX-West.

As mentioned earlier, I initially wanted the factory awning on the left side. Conventional wisdom of others and gas bottle storage on my Hawk pursuaded me to go with the passenger side install.

I would still like an awning on the left side to park motorcycles and to work on them out of direct sun and rain. 100's idea looks like an excellent solution with a very limited budget.

Great job 100!

Even though there are good reasons to install on either side. I think you made the right choice for yourself by going with the drivers side install. You typically travel solo. I think it will be nice to be able to go from the drivers seat to the awning. You don't need to worry about somebody running the furnace. Your shower and propane setup. All in all it looks likes the better choice for you.
Based on how you fabricated your awning it looks like you could install it on either side in 5 minutes. Good job.

I'd like to think I could move it over to the other side if needs be, but because my shower and propane bottles are on the drivers side, it just kinda dictated where it was needed. I could have another one built and have an awning on both sides. I will see how things go on this next excursion out west. I'm hoping to do more backcountry camping and not so much in campgrounds which tend to be passenger side friendly. If i do the CG thing, I'll just back in etc. the only difficulty I can foresee with switching sides with the awning mount would be the holes in the bracket not matching up with the predrilled holes on the one I already made. We'll see. Thanks y'all!

Back
Top Bottom