Awning side of camper

100acrehuphalump

In a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia
I didn't order the Fiamma awning when I purchased my Hawk and I am rigging up two 1"square tubes and a 80" long x 1" angled to 5" by 1/4" thick so I can attach my Tepui tents awning I already have from my expedition trailer. The question to me seems to be which side should I put it on? It will be able to be moved to either side as I'm bolting it to the brackets. I like the idea of having it on the drivers side because I can use the awning as shelter and cover when showering, plus having the propane tanks on that side it'll be easier to utilize my Partner Steel cook stove on the drivers side too. The on depend shower needs to be close to the outside water shower port too. The only reason I can think to put it on the passengers side is because most campgrounds are passenger side accessible. What are your thoughts?

Hook ups are usually on the driver's side so the awning is usually mounted on the passenger side. That said I'd put it where it's the most useful for you.

I did something similar on my Eagle and mounted it on the passenger side.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9609-awning-installation-on-an-eagle/

Mine can be installed on either side but I chose passenger so that I could have the window open in the rain, and when in a campground, the electrical cord is on the opposite side.

That said, what JHa6av8r says is right on -- do whats best for you.

I went traditional as the drivers side is where all the work gets done. Cooking, heater exhaust etc. Don't want my lawn chair over there.

The heater exhaust is actually pretty hot. It's in a position where you can burn your arm or face.

The other benefit is being able to keep the rain off the window that opens.

You also have a shower rig of some sort that you are setting up. You wouldn't want to get the ground wet and then hang out there.

JHa6av8r said:
That said I'd put it where it's the most useful for you.
+1

I was intitally going to put my awning on the left side since that is where we thought the propane tanks were located. I was going to use the awning mostly for my outdoor kitchen and eating area. However, we soon relaized the front dinette option locates the tanks on the right side, rear corner, so the awning is attached to the right side.

Bill D said:
You also have a shower rig of some sort that you are setting up. You wouldn't want to get the ground wet and then hang out there.
When shower water must be contained...I have a hot water heater pan with skate board tape attached to inside to capture shower water. When finished showering, just dump in gray water bucket.

I thought about the water heater pan too. What is skate board tape? I also have a 8x8' sheet of astro turf I throw down. Having the propane tanks for cooking and the outside shower on the drivers side kind of dictates where I need to put the awning. If I ever come up with a good solution for a rear awning I might adapt a shower there in front of the camper door...

Just head down to Flipside in Asheville and get a sheet of skateboard deck tape to afffix to the inside of the hot water heater pan. About $10 for 9" x 33" sheet. The tape will help prevent slipping in the wet pan. The downside to a hot water pan is that it fills up and you're standing in ankle deep water, like a stopped up shower. But, a small inconvenience to shower out in the middle of no-where and capturing gray water.

Now I'm working on fabricating a 'rack' to mount my Tepui Tents Awning on. I decided to attach the system to the already existing mechanical jack brackets on each corner of the camper. I ordered 2 x 30.5" x 1/4" square aluminum tubes for the posts to attach to the bracket. For the top piece I ordered a 80" x 1" x 5" 1/4" angle aluminum. ( Measure 3-4x as I had a $60 mistake that turned into a $120 mistake on the first crappy measurement). I had to measure out where the bolts from the back track of the awning would fit into the angle. It took some time for my non skilled self but somehow I didn't screw it up. All the holes matched perfectly. Tomorrow I'm bringing it all back to the sheet metal shop to weld the posts to the angle as there is little room up against the camper and I'm afraid the hex bolt heads would rub into the siding. I will then mount the awning and post more pix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 158
Looks good so far. Great use of the jack plates. They look unfinished when the jacks are not attached. Now they look filled in and serve a purpose. I will likely steal parts of your design for a shower curtain or even an awning at some point.

Back
Top Bottom