Awnings

Brian:

Did you take any photos?
I don't know of anyone that sells them here in seattle, so don't really get a chance to compare them. tell us more!

I am thinking Shady Boy as it is small, light and simple. KISS is always a good policy, especially when I run a 1/2 ton....

dave

awnings...

Dave, no I didn't get any photos of it, sorry. I did however replace my digicam today and will post some photos of my rear homemade awning once I get it mounted in the next few days. I picked up a piece of awning track as was mentioned in this thread and now can go ahead......the only problem is time.....I currently have four motorcycles in the garage in various stages of waiting for parts, a friends bike here to replace tires on, the FWC project and myriad other things that build up while a guy is out traveling around.
More as it happens.....Brian

Brian,

That rear awning is what I am after. Getting tired of getting wet while taking off shoes and jackets standing at the back door. Sounds like your garage is a lot of fun!

Can't wait for pics...

dave

I saw one of those new ones on an FWC at the show in Tacoma, WA a few months ago. The sales guy demo'd it for me. It's really an impressive gizmo. I'd like to put one on my rig but would have to move that rear clasp which kind of scares me.

Mike

I ended up buying the shadyboy awning. I could have bought that F35 fiamma on ebay, but hesitated and Mark snagged it. No prob-the shady boy has a 50" case that mounts either permanently or on brackets for removal. Also, that case will mount easily between the lid latches. No need to move those. The thing folds out to 10' wide, which will cover the entire side of my camper. Also, the guy at countryhomescampers, who sells them, was very helpful. I haven't recieved it yet. Will let you know how it works.
hayduke

Hayduke:

Wow, that is so cool.
I would love to hear your report.
I have emailed Wolfgang at Shady Boy and we have been conversing. I am here in Seattle, and travel up to BC often. May just stop by and get one there next time I am up that way to check them out. However, your experiences, report, and pictures would really be great. Keep us posted. What color did you get?

Dave

The shadyboy looks interesting. Whats the price range on those? Also I wonder what happens when a big gust of wind comes along and hits it.

(shadyboy) awnings

Dave, I got the silver one. This carries an additional price of $12, but that doesn't seem much for additional reflectivity. The awning should be here in a week or so. I'll make sure to post results. I don't have the photo thing wired yet on this site, so I'll be asking for help with posting photos on another thread.
These awnings do not require any poles to the ground. They have integral fiberglass poles that hold the awnings shape. You can use poles with them, but they come with lines that secure to vehicle to stabilize the wing in wind.
As with any awning, if the wind gets strong, there may be hell to pay for leaving an awning up attached to your vehicle. I don't plan on leaving the thing up if I'm away from my vehicle. The wind can come up quick out there (anywhere).
Thanks for all the input
Hayduke

Hayduke,
I too am interested in hearing what you think when you get the shadyboy awning. I contacted them for the price and got a quote of $282.00 +$39.00(S&H) plus the $12 for the silver. Let us know your impressions when you get it as it is a good price for an awning of that size.

Plus if you used brackets to mount it you might be able to switch between the side and back depending on your need at the time.
Jim

Yeah, That's the price I got it for minus about 10 or 12 bucks because I didn't require any brackets, so Salim, at country homes campers credited me back the cost. That covered the extra cost of the silver color. Still not sure why the silver awning costs more. I'll let you guys know how it is.
hayduke

rear awning..

See if this gives you any ideas...

Attachments

• awning2 001.jpg
    awning2 001.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 605
  • awning2 002.jpg
    awning2 002.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 605
  • awning2 003.jpg
    awning2 003.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 591
This is a great thread, thanks to everyone posting their solutions and ideas.

Our used shell model came with the Fiamma side awning and it's sweet- very easy, simple, and elegant if I do say.

But like others, I think the rear awning's critical for rain, especially. jimjxsn, thanks for posting the info and pics on that aluminum track- I ordered some and will try that route. And thanks for the pics of your setup, Brian. Looks pretty smart.

It'll probably be a while before I get to put something together but will post a pic when I do.

Thanks again, all!

Brian:
That is cool! I like the attachment for the Awning to the truck. Would work with the camper up, should work with the camper down as well. How is that pole attached to the camper along the edge. Can't really make it out in the pic.

Bluefly: Do you have any pics of your Fiamma awning? Would be cool to see one closed and open. I am thinking Shady boy, as I don't really want to move the latches for the top.

thanks

dave

Awning....

Dave....I used the "awning track" that Jim had told us about. I bought it at a local RV parts dealer. I then sewed a piece of rope into a seam on the edge of the awning to slide through the track. I later found that you can buy the track at some supply houses that has a special strip of plastic or rubber that you just sew to the edge of the fabric for a slide....that seems (no pun intended) to be a better and easier way to go. I googled "awning track" and found it. Good luck guys.
Brian

davinski, I'm doing an overnight tonight with some friends and will take pics for you of the Fiamma.

Rear Awning

Brian, Thanks for the rear awning shots. I'm getting some ideas thanks to you. I recieved my Shady Boy Awning, but due to a family illness on my wifes side, it may take a few weeks before I get it installed and attempt to post photos of it. Out of the box, it looks like a well put together product though...
Hayduke

Hayduke....sorry to hear of your family sickness...hope it isn't too serious....we will be waiting for a full report on the Shady Boy. It may be an answer for several of us.
best wishes,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom