Awnings

You could probably modify that pretty easily to work with the standard awning track. Price is right but it doesnt say what the material is made out of.

I got that catalog yesterday as well. It looks interesting but I think its a lot cheaper and a nicer install to use the awning rail extrusion and sew up an awning. You would be surprised at how surprising simple it is to sew things.

I had no experience and made all the canvas for my last 3 boats. The awning extrusion and cord are availabe at any RV repair place and even cheaper on line.

Jay

Thanks Brian. My Mom in Law is in a pretty bad way. My wifes been gone nearly a week so it's me and my 6 year old daughter. I might be able to get to that awning tommorow if this California central coast rain stops and I don't get the phone call that tells us we gotta leave town.
Stay Tuned
Hayduke

Mom in Law is rallying after surgery. I might even get to see my wife before I'm 50 years old. I'll try to get that awning on tommorow. Skies are clear. My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
Take Care...
Hayduke

Moms.....

That is very good news Hayduke! Make sure those shades are not so dark that you hit your head on the awning!
Which reminds me of the time I was working in the maintenance shop in Denali Nat'l. Park, AK and had my ball cap pulled down low over my eyes. I was a new mechanic and didn't know you were ALWAYS supposed to open the bay door high enough to walk under without ducking. No sense in telling you the rest of the story.....I still have a knot on my forehead.
Keep us posted.
Brian

Fiamma awning pics

davinski, here you go. You can adjust the legs to shed rain if need be. It self supports for a bit
without dropping the legs.

The last pic shows where the bolts come through inside- these are for the middle support where
the bed slides out. I cut the ends off with a hacksaw and the bed just clears the nuts when I
slide it out.

The only thing I might do is add a small piece of aluminum angle or something between the front
turnbuckle and the front end of the awning, as I've had to wrench small branches out from
behind the awning after traveling a tight wooded trail.

Attachments

• IMGP1083 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1083 (Medium).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 557
  • IMGP1085 (Medium).jpg
    IMGP1085 (Medium).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMGP1087 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1087 (Medium).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 570
  • IMGP1089 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1089 (Medium).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 595
  • IMGP1092 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1092 (Medium).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 553
awnings...

Bluefly....great pix and thank you. How much did that little hummer cost? I like it and it is just like the one I was shown a month or two ago on a Pleasureway rig.
Brian

BlueFly...
That is a great set of pics. I love that awning. I am still thinking about the Shady boy because I don't want to move the roof hold down clamps. It looks sturdy and looks mounted well. Is that how the stock awnings get mounted? I don't remember ever seeing the inside of the campers that have awnings.

Also, what are those right angle mounts on the bottom of the camper....they look metal with three holes in them....

For Ben, if you could chime it that would really help.

Dave

davinski,

I had to remove my A&E Catalina awning to do my siding work. It mounts with about 8-10 sheet metal screws to the aluminum framework. It doesn't mount all the way thru. Those angles on the Bluefly's camper are mounts for camper jacks.

Bluefly,

I'm also interested in what you paid for that set up & where you got it! My factory awning has seen better days!

Fiamma Awning

Brian and WarpathEngineering:

The previous owner bought it from FWC after his Eagle purchase and did the install himself. I just checked the paperwork he gave me and found a receipt for $585 in 2004.

I remember him telling me he paid extra big bucks for the reflective silver upgrade to the regular fabric.
davinski:

I'd be curious to hear Hayduke's review of the ShadyBoy at half the price, but wouldn't necessarily rule out something because of having to move the roof clamps- it doesn't look like it would be that bad, but let Ben or Marty have a say on that.
As WarPathEngineering said, those brackets are the mounts for my camper jacks.

Bluefly, Sorry I have not written anything about the ShadyBoy awning yet. I mounted it, but the camper is off the truck next to a fence. I have not been able to extend the awning due to the proximity of the fence. I have some family illnesses going on and am driving my truck around the state to see people, so I won't have photos or any opinions for 1 1/2 weeks or so, when I can put the camper back on the truck. At that time, I'll write in and post a few pictures. I will be on a 9 day trip to Death valley backcountry with my daughter late April and early May. I'll post more then too. For now, here is the basic install.
Hayduke

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 433
Hayduke, thanks for the pic- it looks really good on your truck!

I wish you and your family well. Let us know how it goes.

Hayduke or can I call you George?

I wish you well with the illnes stuf its tough.

Did your get the awining locally or did I miss that post? I'd like to see one in person.

Jay

Thanks for the kind words. I purchased the awning from country homes campers. The guy was very helpful. Any web search will turn up the phone # if you want to contact them. I'll keep the board informed
Hayduke

By the way Chnlisle, you could call me George, but real name is Steve. I appreciate yours and the few other comments that relate my online name to such great books and a great author, aka, Ed Abbey. Just so a few people know, my Mother in Law is in pretty bad shape. Looks like my wife will miss our late April trip to Death Valley backcountry, but I'm still planning on taking my 6 year old daughter out with me while Mom is away nursing grandma. I will definitely have some photos when I get back around May 1st. If you see this girl wandering around the desert during that time, please return her to the nearest four wheel camper on a white Tacoma as soon as possible.
Thanks, Hayduke

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 295
Hi Hayduke,

Hope your Mother In Law is comfortable and not in pain. Wish the best for your situation.

Your dog looks like a good protector for your daughter out wandering in the desert.

Enjoy Death Valley. You know you can camp on any dirt road as long as it is 2 miles off pavement. Great thing about our campers, where ever you are you are ready to camp.

Hayduke,
I wish the best to you and your family.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your daughter. I've got two kids in High School and haven't a clue where the time went. Enjoy it while you can 'cause the time with them is way too short.
Jim

Hope the best for you mother in law.

What kind of dog is that?

You really can camp anywhere. I was heading up to the mountains on a paved but pretty remote road, it was raining and foggy (at night) and when I could only see ten feet in front of me I just found a wide spot in the road. Fine camp.

Back
Top Bottom