AZ, Roosevelt/Apache Lake area

Barko1

I'm heading towards Phoenix next weekend and am looking for a place to overnight NW of Scottsdale. maybe on the Apache Trail, 88? Maps and web show some campgrounds but if anyone knows a good little spot where there won't be generators or any such thing. Don't need a campground really, I'll be there Sunday night. Next night I'll probably go to Harquahala.

Horseshow reservoir has a nice campground right next to the Verde river with Mesquite trees and not too far from Scottsdale. I would call to make sure that the road to the damn is open, it was closed due to slides a few years ago.

Directions, This site is 23 miles northeast of Carefree. From Carefree, take Cave Creek Road for 7 miles to Forest Road (FR) 205. Turn right on FR 205 and travel for 6 miles to the junction of FR 205 and FR 19. At this junction, FR 205 turns left and becomes a maintained unpaved road. Follow FR 205 for 10 miles towards Horseshoe Reservoir. At the junction of FR 205 and FR 205A, turn right and travel an additional ½ mile to the site.

Found a good website with campgrounds just outside of Phoenix. AZ campgrounds

Boon docking is kinda difficult due to the massive development that took place here in the last 15 years. We mostly go to the rim country north of Payson where you can camp anywhere you want, but it is a little farther. I also avoid the lakes on weekends, lots of noise. Hope this helps.

Horseshow reservoir has a nice campground right next to the Verde river with Mesquite trees and not too far from Scottsdale. I would call to make sure that the road to the damn is open, it was closed due to slides a few years ago.

Directions, This site is 23 miles northeast of Carefree. From Carefree, take Cave Creek Road for 7 miles to Forest Road (FR) 205. Turn right on FR 205 and travel for 6 miles to the junction of FR 205 and FR 19. At this junction, FR 205 turns left and becomes a maintained unpaved road. Follow FR 205 for 10 miles towards Horseshoe Reservoir. At the junction of FR 205 and FR 205A, turn right and travel an additional ½ mile to the site.

Found a good website with campgrounds just outside of Phoenix. AZ campgrounds

Boon docking is kinda difficult due to the massive development that took place here in the last 15 years. We mostly go to the rim country north of Payson where you can camp anywhere you want, but it is a little farther. I also avoid the lakes on weekends, lots of noise. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, haven't camped over that way at all but need to be in Scottsdale Monday. Hopefully won't be busy....

Back
Top Bottom