Backing plates pulling through truck bed

Adventurebound

Hello all. I have had my camper, factory installed, for about 2 1/2 years now. Never had an issue with turnbuckles until this last weekend. Been on some very rough roads before, Mojave, all over Death Valley, random mining roads in Nevada. Today I noticed the bolts in the truck bed and backing plates are ripping through the bed of the truck. Has anyone else had this issue? Hawk mounted on a 2008 Nissan Titan. Please no truck bashers looking for real advice on what to do.

Photo

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_180346534_compress73.jpg
    IMG_20200407_180346534_compress73.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 358
Yes, I had the same issue on a 2013 F150 but not as bad. You could see some pulling up on the bed. I no longer have that truck but now use external Torklift mounts on my F250.

How are you tightening the turnbuckles.
I was told to firmly hand tighten, then use a wrench or screwdriver to turn another 1/2 turn.
Haven't loosened but I have not looked at all 4 truck mounting eyes in a year. Guess I had better look.

Paul

PaulT said:
How are you tightening the turnbuckles.
I was told to firmly hand tighten, then use a wrench or screwdriver to turn another 1/2 turn.
Haven't loosened but I have not looked at all 4 truck mounting eyes in a year. Guess I had better look.

Paul
Have been doing it just like this.

Adventurebound said:
Have been doing it just like this.
First, let me [SIZE=10.5pt]commiserate [/SIZE]... ouch, that sucks. :( :( :(

Next, what are the backing plates? FWC changed to a newer style a few years ago. Used to be just fender washers, now they have 3" x 5" 1/4" thick plates.

How is the other side (your camper) looking? Any damage there?

I managed to jack up my truck/camper (2500 truck and fully loaded Hawk) using the 4 corner lifting posts once, when I was taking my camper off for the first time and forgot to release the turnbuckles. No damage, other than to my ego. Which leads me to think there must be other factors at play.

Factory install you say.... are you close enough that they could take a look (if covid19 rules allow?)

Vic

Had similar issue with 2017 F150. Alu bed is ev to thin to repair. Changed the factory installed washers to a thick alu plate that extends from one bed support beam to the next ( approx. 12 inches ) to take the load of the bed sheet itself. Even nicer would have been the frame brackets that were described somewhere here on the forum or FB ( cant remember ).

Vic Harder said:
First, let me commiserate [/size]... ouch, that sucks. :( :( :(

Next, what are the backing plates? FWC changed to a newer style a few years ago. Used to be just fender washers, now they have 3" x 5" 1/4" thick plates.

How is the other side (your camper) looking? Any damage there?

I managed to jack up my truck/camper (2500 truck and fully loaded Hawk) using the 4 corner lifting posts once, when I was taking my camper off for the first time and forgot to release the turnbuckles. No damage, other than to my ego. Which leads me to think there must be other factors at play.

Factory install you say.... are you close enough that they could take a look (if covid19 rules allow?)

Vic
I have the newer style backing plates. No other factors at play, Second time lifting the camper off.

I have a 2013 Titan and a 2012 Hawk. I was able to utilize existing holes in the frame rails that were located in the perfect spot for my front two bed holes. I used an extra long bit and drilled from the bottom via the frame rail holes. My Hawk was mounted continuously for 2 1/2 years including 15 months of continuous travel in the desert SW (Four corner states) including a fair amount of off road excursions. When I removed the camper for the first time last July there were no issues with stress on the truck bed.

Adventurebound said:
I have the newer style backing plates. No other factors at play, Second time lifting the camper off.
Only things I can suggest is:
1) Bigger backing plates
2) Go through a frame member if you can

Unitic said:
I have a 2013 Titan and a 2012 Hawk. I was able to utilize existing holes in the frame rails that were located in the perfect spot for my front two bed holes. I used an extra long bit and drilled from the bottom via the frame rail holes. My Hawk was mounted continuously for 2 1/2 years including 15 months of continuous travel in the desert SW (Four corner states) including a fair amount of off road excursions. When I removed the camper for the first time last July there were no issues with stress on the truck bed.
The only question or concerns I have bolting through the frame rail is frames twist. The camper would not be insolated from that. Whereas the truck box is mounted via bushings and has minor twisting motion. Wouldn't the extra twist of the frame cause issues with the camper?

I will get photos of the underside of the backing plate mounts as soon as I can.

As many have mentioned, I changed trucks to a 2017 F250 which has an aluminum bed. Denny in Jackson WY then suggested I but aluminum plates and make lareg like 9" x 4" plates to replace the old washer style. I did that in 2017 and my Granby never comes off plus I live a few miles off of pavement with serious washboard roads.

I bought the plates on Amazon.
This is what I bought and used. They show unavailable now but I'm sure they have plenty of other dimensions available.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5ZCK5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adventurebound said:
The only question or concerns I have bolting through the frame rail is frames twist. The camper would not be insolated from that. Whereas the truck box is mounted via bushings and has minor twisting motion. Wouldn't the extra twist of the frame cause issues with the camper?

I will get photos of the underside of the backing plate mounts as soon as I can.
I've lived in the camper full time over the period I listed, and taken it off road onto BLM and National Forest roads and trails regularly to camp. All I can say is I've had no issues nor damage to date.

pvstoy said:
Share pictures of the underside.
As you can see the bed has broke free from the crossmember...lifted up about 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_20200408_181810205_compress37.jpg
    IMG_20200408_181810205_compress37.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 423
Factory installed turnbuckles...all this was installed at the factory. Am I using this thing too hard? The rest of the truck has held up great!? Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near the factory....in Vegas.

Attachments

• IMG_20200408_181958099_compress36.jpg
    IMG_20200408_181958099_compress36.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 293

Back
Top Bottom