Baja 2017/18 Conversations...

BBZ

Hey All,
Seems there are a number of people heading down that way soon, thought it would be nice to start a thread to share experiences or even connect to travel.

My wife and I are leaving the Denver area mid-January and plan to spend approximately 2 weeks in Baja. The tentative plan (the ever changing plan), is to cross at Mexicali and head down the east side of Baja to begin our journey. We will be traveling in our F-150 with our older Fleet and our 2 dogs.

Bill

That's a great route BBZ.

I recommend crossing at Mexicali East. Fill up with gas at the USA gas station about a 1/4 mile before the border. Turn left onto Rodriquez coming out of the Mexican border facility. Signage is excellent leading you down to MEX 5. When you are on Rodriquez and in the industrial section, I recommend stopping at a bank/ATM and loading up on Pesos. Better prices at fuel pump with Pesos in hand rather than USDs. Most PEMEXs will exchange your USDs, but at a sub-bank rate, sometimes well below.

When you cross MEX 20, there will be a modern PEMEX on the right. Recommend filling up again there. As you approach San Felipe, a few miles after MEX 5 turns into 4 lanes, there will be a new, modern PEMEX 7-11 type store on the right, fill up again.

Some nice, pay to camp, beach camping just north of San Felipe.

MEX 5 has a lot of unmarked deep dips south of San Felipe. Take it slow through these drainage dips.

Fill up again at Gonzaga Bay, just after the military check point. If you're at Gonzaga Bay around lunch time or dinner, be sure to go out to Alfonsina's for fish tacos!!! Beer is cold and very good as well. A nice patio to relax.

I do not recommend traveling MEX 5 or anywhere in Baja at night. Be sure to give yourself an hour before sundown to find a suitable/safe place to camp. You really do not want to be driving around after dark looking for a place to camp. Too many gremlins out and about!

Road becomes a gnarly rock/gravel track a bit south of Gonzaga Bay due to construction. Be sure to stop at Coco's Corner for the required visit and photos.

A track heads E/NE out of Coco's (not MEX 5) that leads to some nice beach camping.

Back on MEX 5 after Coco's, not much to see or do until you join MEX 1.

As you may have noted, I never pass up a PEMEX and topping off. I have been on my motorcycle and stopped at PEMEX's out of gas. Friends have camped at PEMEX's waiting for the next fuel truck.

Have fun, it's a great drive!

Thanks Advmoto18!

While I will probably never pass up a PEMEX, I am also blessed with a 36 gallon tank.. can cover a lot of ground with that!

We have no intentions of traveling at night, I have heard that over and over!

Don't forget your insurance (Mexico). There are so many great places to camp, etc. I'd actually go south past San Felipe towards Shell Beach (Percebu) but that's because I knew/know the old SF and it's a bit 'touristy' now for me. You have to go see the whales too on the Pacific side!!!! If you like wine, the area near Ensenada is amazing. It's a mini-Napa w/o the cost, etc. Great places to eat too and the prices are amazing.

Thanks for starting the thread Bill. Baja will be our first trip ever with our camper. Looking for all the advice we can get! We will be heading out from the Owen Sound ,Ontario area to pick up our camper in Sacramento and then heading down. Going to be interesting!!

I'd suggest you get on the bajanomad site. There's a lot of great info and people there that travel Baja a lot!

We're leaving Sunday for Yuma and getting dental work in Algodonas. Then on to Baja sometime after Christmas. From then on our schedule is undetermined, depending on road condtions, we'd like to go to Bay of Los Angeles and then on to Bahia San Francisquito before heading down to Bahia Conception. Last year was way muddy so we opted out of the dirt road to SF. At Bahia Conception we will probably be at Playa Escondida. Maybe we'll see you there. We have a Grandby on a white SB Dodge with a Ruger trailer behind.

After crossing Mexicali east, don't forget to get your tourist card at the customs office. It is about 200 yards across the border on the right. There is an ATM there as well.. easy peasy, and not good to be caught without it.. If someone has to fly home from down south for whatever reason medical etcetera, it is a requirement.. Any other trouble accident or what have you, your in big trouble without the tourist card/visa

The first Pemex south of San Felipe that was mentioned above has the best tacos al pastor in Baja Norte right next door..

I wouldn't waste to much time above Gonzaga.. Great places to stop and stay at gonzaga bay. Campo beluga, rancho grande.. Papa Fernandez is nice but the camping is very exposed to the north wind. Punta final is nice.. This will set you up nicely for the second days' drive to southern Baja.. That's when the real decisions start!!

TT

camper rich said:
We're leaving Sunday for Yuma and getting dental work in Algodonas. Then on to Baja sometime after Christmas. From then on our schedule is undetermined, depending on road condtions, we'd like to go to Bay of Los Angeles and then on to Bahia San Francisquito before heading down to Bahia Conception. Last year was way muddy so we opted out of the dirt road to SF. At Bahia Conception we will probably be at Playa Escondida. Maybe we'll see you there. We have a Grandby on a white SB Dodge with a Ruger trailer behind.
Bahia Escondida is muy sympatica....a favorite layover of ours.....

David Graves

if not too late, make SURE that your insurance will cover you on dirt roads. Discuss that with the agent. A lot of the companies only cover paved roads and since there are very few of them there, you might be in trouble. Bring goodies for the kids, soccer shoes, frisbees, etc. Los of goodwill.
If you go to Bay of LA, go north to Punta La Gringa, all the way! Awesome. If you are REALLY want a adventure, go to Mission San Miguel, East of Catavenia. Worst road in Baja, but excellent oasis at the end. The Mexicans are super friendly, they will help you a lot if you need. Give back, if you see one in need, help them. Good luck, have fun. Love that place.

Thanks 12 Valve..

We are still collecting info and looking like we will depart January 15 or so.. Cant wait!

BBZ

I was humored by the topic title of this thread....Baja... Conversations.

Do you speak any Espanol ?

Remember you are visiting someone's home country and often their home rancho or ejido property....even tho you may not recognize it at the time.

Even a little attempt at Spanish will go a long way and earn an appreciative smile.

There are many other cultural norms you may not know....somewhere there is an excellent little book on this.

Men shake hands a lot, a sign of mutual respect. Ladies may seem a bit reserved.

Baja residents often may be direct decendants of the original natives or of the Spanish who came there or some combination.

Try to leave your own curtural identity at home.

Have a wonderful visit.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
BBZ

I was humored by the topic title of this thread....Baja... Conversations.

Do you speak any Espanol ?

Remember you are visiting someone's home country and often their home rancho or ejido property....even tho you may not recognize it at the time.

Even a little attempt at Spanish will go a long way and earn an appreciative smile.

There are many other cultural norms you may not know....somewhere there is an excellent little book on this.

Men shake hands a lot, a sign of mutual respect. Ladies may seem a bit reserved.

Baja residents often may be direct decendants of the original natives or of the Spanish who came there or some combination.

Try to leave your own curtural identity at home.

Have a wonderful visit.

David Graves
Thanks David..

We are frequent travelers and speak a decent amount of Spanish. We love visiting other places and cultures and tend to stay more off the beaten path when traveling. Our honeymoon (3 years ago), we spent a month in Thailand and some of our favorite memories were renting a scooter and just exploring and meeting people outside of the tourist areas, so much fun even though the language barrier was challenging.

Since we will be picking up our camper on the way and are totally new to this, we won't have our camper outfitted too well. Wondering if anyone could recommend any beach campsites that are within walking distance of a restaraunt and store for ice,drinks etc? Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

penner said:
Since we will be picking up our camper on the way and are totally new to this, we won't have our camper outfitted too well. Wondering if anyone could recommend any beach campsites that are within walking distance of a restaraunt and store for ice,drinks etc? Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
If you have some pots/pans, dishes, etc. (the standard stuff), you'll find a lot of places to get supplies, etc. A lot of campgrounds have locals that come by with food, shrimp, etc. Lots of great carnita places that sell it by the kilo, supermarkets, etc. We didn't see any locals bringing ice or adult beverages around for sale; maybe ice is too difficult and selling liquor is illegal?

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread but here goes.
Just got back from there. Mexicalli down to San Felipe, tacos at Petes, had the beach to our selves.
Headed to Bay of LA, road from Puertecitos down to turn off was sporty, Coco tried to steal my wife and dog, my buddy was pulling a 24ft bumper tow, the trailer was a pain but they made it to Bahia de Concepcion. Spent the night in santispac, not all that busy, the restaurant was fine and the folks there shared birthday cake.
Down to playa requeson, no problems, mulege had whatever we needed, people brought us seafood daily.
From there to Juncalito south of Lorretto, more to our liking, easy fun, quiet.
After a few days we had to split up, our friends went south, us north.
Road from Guerrero Negro to Catavina was in poor condition, just have to slow down. Catavina was cool though.
Spent the night at a lagoon in the salt flats, different but nice.
Road to San Quintin good, nice night in the dunes, lunch in Ensenada, easy drive up 3 to Tecate.
No issues finding fuel(diesel), people were awesome. Would go back tomorrow if the wife wouldn't kill me.

Thanks for the report Wango. Sounds like a good trip . We probably won't be there for another 2+ weeks. Looking forward to it!!

Back
Top Bottom