Basic NOOB camper questions

StreamFixer

I am thinking about getting a used truck slide-in pop-up camper for my 2013 Tundra, stock suspension. I often head out for fishing at sites with limited, if any, accommodations, and they are usually expensive (at least from my budget standpoint). That fishing usually entails bringing my boat along, thus precluding any other towing. My truck has a 6 foot bed and will carry half ton.

Lots of questions:
  • When a camper has a length specified, how is that measured? main floor length or over-all length?
  • How weather proof is the canvas and 'windows' in the canvas? It is not uncommon to have heavy rain and winds when out.
  • I notice many of the pop-ups have fans and lights in the ceiling. How is the wiring run to prevent lots of bending as the top is put up and down?
  • Are there pop-ups that use solid material over-lap instead of canvas to accommodate up/down?
  • What are recommendations for 'off season' storage... I realize covered storage best, but I have to make a choice between camper and my boat being kept in the shop.
That is a start. I am sure I will have a ton more as I work through the learning curve.

Thank you for any assistance and opinions that may be offered.

StreamFixer

Okay, its not canvas and its very waterproof. Condensation is the bigger issue waterwise (assuming you keep your camper properly maintained). The wiring for the roof runs behind panel diagonally. Solid instead of fabric? Sure, look into Alaskans, XPcampers etc, but they come with more weight and usually more cost.

Whatever you choose will make your fishing experience much improved!

I've found ours to be a great 4 season camper and never an issue in rain, snow, etc. The furnace is nice too :)

The wiring in mine is run through a flexible channel that bends as the camper goes up and down.

Many folks here with Tundra's have pop-up campers so I'm sure someone will ring in with specific combo's, but you'll have a good number of choices in brands.

In my 2000 FWC the wires went straight up behind a folding panel and over time they broke but it was a simple fix.
The side curtain has held up fine though I'm stating to see some pinholes.
The length is overall on the outside.
How to store the camper has stirred up an entire thread on the FWC pages here.

Welcome, Russ. Happy to see you found the way to WTW from Arima Owners Group. Wandering Sagebrush is near your neck of the woods on the East side.

- The tent material has more in common with a Zodiac Inflatable tube than a horse packing tent.
- I added Firestone air bags and a Helwig rear sway bar and E series tires to my 2010 Tundra. These improved handling and stability to the truck/camper combination.
- Most any camper will put you near or over GVW. Options add weight quicker than expected.

Paul

I have a FWC Eagle in my '06 Tundra. Much of my usage will be just what you are planning. I should have pics up within the month with my bass boat behind it. I have towed it with the camper on just for a trial and it towed fine. But it's not real heavy. Check my threads for the few mods I've made.

I have a 2011 Tundra with a TRD Pro suspension which is probably a little "softer" than your stock suspension. I had a new spring pack installed by Boise spring and it carries my 1400 lbs base weight FWC Hawk, loaded with water and all my gear great. That said. It is probably pushing it pretty far weight wise for this truck.

What I am saying is you are probably looking at a pop up camper for this truck. I am a serious outdoorsman. Hunting and fishing all over the west. I absolutely love my truck and Hawk for what I do. I mean I really, really love the truck and camper!

You are limited with your truck as is....there are options, but you will be at or near the GVWR of your Tundra and you still need to pull that boat. Now is the time to "fish or cut bait" in the parlance of your hobby! A smaller camper will be just that: SMALL. It will limit the space you might have if you had a guest along and space for your gear. You will be straining that driveline to et anywhere and if you venture off-road you'd need 4x4.

In a perfect world you could drop in a camper, hook up the boat and go to the fishing spots you like and see what that does to your truck in terms of drivability, if it is over the GVWR, if it steers like the Queen Mary or the rear end sits down and you can't see over the hood. OK...some of that is stretching things a bit, but.....

Look around for campers, find out what one you likes will weigh and then add maybe 300-400 lbs for everything else. Now, go to a building supply yard and get a pallet of bricks or something that weighs the same as all that and try driving around for a day or two. You can always take that stuff back, but you get the drift here....you get a chance to see how your truck performs with all the weight and the boat hooked up and see if keeping a 6' bed half-ton is going to cut it.

So....back to the fish or cut bait thang....maybe upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck maybe getting 4x4 and maybe an 8' bed would give you the ability to carry all the weight and tow the boat without killing the truck. No cheesy 6-cylinder, some big brute of an engine and you can decide if gas/diesel is the way to go.

I just think that if you look around at what people have when they are camping (most are pretty friendly if you simply tell them you are considering getting an ATC, FWC or maybe an Alaskan like theirs...they take pride in having a nice rig and they may be able to share a few horror stories with you as well....learning from the mistakes of others is a wise decision!

Just remember....we all tend to "love" our rig because we either knew what we wanted in advance or learned to like what we had....

StreamFisher

My 2 cents your looking for a FWC Hawk/Kestral. Used check out the "Gear Exchange". year 2000 forward. Four Wheel and ATC have real good resale. My buddy sold is 2005 Kestral in April 2016 for the asking price $9,000 in 45 minutes from listing it on Wander the West". He bought it for $7,00 in 2013 put about $2,000 in repairs and upgrades in it losing zero dollars over 3 years ownership.

Four Wheel has good customer service and a shop that happily repairs the old ones. At the last rally I attended I say two 1984's still in good condition. One of which had new "rubberized fabric' installed.

The Truck is a '13 TRD Tundra, paid for, so I am about as equipped as I am going to get in that category. Being mostly retired (occasional consulting work on stream/river restoration) so not interested in going into debt.

I am looking at the Capri and now the Hawk Kestral. I don't have a problem installing lift bags if that is what is necessary. Right now I am running with a tonneau cover and occasionally using a truck tent with a cot.

I appreciate the comments, thank you all. I am still looking so, please do not hesitate to chime in.

StreamFixer

I have a fairly loaded 2013 Hawk on my 2005 DC. I always have my trailer on either for Fishing or for ATV's.
My boat is light but my ATV's are pretty heavy. My truck handles this load just fine, but I drive conservatively. I added the Firestone ride rites to help handle the load. The material on the sides is basically the same as a pontoon boat PVC covered nylon fabric. I have never had mine leak at all. Like someone else said condensation from the inside will be a bigger factor. Heck wind doesn't even come in.
I never take mine off, I use mine year around and love it, and the truck. If you were concerned about weight I would get a shell model and only put in what you think you will need. Mine loaded weighs in the 1400 pound range. I am just over on GVWR by under 200 pounds or so. But to be honest I was told by the shop manager at Toyota that the rating is with P rated tires and I have E rated tires now. That alone increases what the GVWR should be. He said don't worry about it, so I don't.
I like having the hawk base model with some extras. It is comfortable for me and my wife, or my son, or a friend.

img_168022_0_31d96fb7da313dfd00e522514ce9d059.jpg

img_168022_2_90597529e76401a4a4be837941c9bf68.jpg

Mark G said:
How to store the camper has stirred up an entire thread on the FWC pages here.
I wish I hadn't seen this. Now I likely have an hour of reading ahead of me and I already know I'm doing it wrong! :D

Back
Top Bottom