Batteries in New FWC Hawk

I hunted for 5 days with mine using battery power, and I used LED lights and only used the main lights once and a while. I did fine but I have a buddy heater for heat and my refrigerator is three way and was running on gas. I always have my trailer for the ATV so I use a Honda 2000 generator inverter. I hunted 15 days with this set up and I took my computer to watch movies and had all the lights on and the refrigerator was on auto so it was running on the generator. The extra power is awesome to have and the honda was on idle the whole time. I wonder if I could power up my camper with a inverter plugged in to my ATV??? I am sure that my 400 watt inverter would be plenty for the camper but If it tried to charge the battery that might be a problem.

Using the "amps per day spreadsheet" I'm estimating a usage of approximately 25 to 45 amps/day depending on a summer or winter scenario.

Looks like that might be 3-5 days of use if I am running a dual battery system.

I really like the idea of having solar and not having to deal with lugging around a generator. Although on my longer hunts I tow an enclose utility trailer for my quad and a generator wouldn't even be an issue. I'll just get both and not fret about it!

Guess I should do some research on solar panels and chargers for a dual battery system.

I imagine a single battery would charge relatively fast with a decent sized solar panel and bright sunlight. What about a dual battery system? Can a 100 watt or smaller solar panel charge both batteries in a single day assuming the panel has full view of the sun?

If I go with a solar system is there any reason for me to go with a single battery system over a dual battery system? One reason I think I'm still favoring the two batteries with the solar panel would be bad weather or clouds for a day or two. The two fully charged batteries would likely float me through the bad weather until it becomes sunny again.
Thanks

Bwht4x4 said:
I imagine a single battery would charge relatively fast with a decent sized solar panel and bright sunlight. What about a dual battery system? Can a 100 watt or smaller solar panel charge both batteries in a single day assuming the panel has full view of the sun?

If I go with a solar system is there any reason for me to go with a single battery system over a dual battery system? One reason I think I'm still favoring the two batteries with the solar panel would be bad weather or clouds for a day or two. The two fully charged batteries would like float me through the bad weather until it becomes sunny again.
Thanks
We have two Group 24 batteries, approximately 150 aH total. They easily get us through 3 to 4 days of bad sun running a 2-way fridge and furnace mostly just before bed and in the morning to take the chill off. It takes a day to recharge them from almost empty with a 90 W solar panel.

That's good info JHa6av8r!

We won't have a fridge so that'll be a big power savings. The heater is the only big one and I think careful use of that could get us by the same way.

Can't wait to get the camper so I can start doing some mods to it. Went to the bank today and have a cashier's check ready to go!!

Bwht4x4 said:
Can't wait to get the camper so I can start doing some mods to it. Went to the bank today and have a cashier's check ready to go!!
Enjoy! We were down in Morro Bay SP in October and Montana De Oro in the Spring.

I can walk to MDO and do it often. I was there tonight!

Fishmore - Thanks for the info. I'm going to get both batteries from FWC so that both are the same brand, age, group and type. Once these are shot I'll look into the Cabela's brand. I have a few Cabela's points I could use on them!

What to do with the left over battery after you have finished all these modifications??
I found some 12v Christmas LED light strings and hauled strings and battery up to the top of hill near us.
This project will also let me make use of the undersized solar panels I have hanging around.
Should amuse the local deer population.

Hittheroad said:
What to do with the left over battery after you have finished all these modifications??
I found some 12v Christmas LED light strings and hauled strings and battery up to the top of hill near us.
This project will also let me make use of the undersized solar panels I have hanging around.
Should amuse the local deer population.
That sounds like a fun project!

Bwht4x4 said:
Why am I going to have a left-over battery?
With good planning there is no need to have a left-over battery or extra solar panels. But good planning has not always been one of my strengths. The solar panels are now connected and I expect the tree to glow on until I have a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom