Battery compartment, housing, plastic case

Helmut

Advanced Member
I want to change my batteries to phys. bigger batteries. They would fit in the existing battery compartment (2017 grandby side dinette) but not into the black plastic battery containers/cases. These have a wooden floor inside, but i cant find any screws. How are they fixed to the camper floor? And how can I get them out without destroying anything?

thanks for help

Helmut

I am unaware of any plastic battery boxes with a wooden floor. Is the wood removable and hiding screws underneath?

Paul

Call FWC, try the service dept. Talk about your issue with them. Try in the first few hours of the morning to have a better chance at contact. I might have an idea of what you are describing. I had a similar problem. It is bolted from underneath during construction with no way to access the lower nut to remove the bolt. I unstrapped my existing box. I was forced to leave the strap bolt in place. With an idea, I sawed the handles off a larger battery box, I already owned. My box had a channel underneath so it was able to slide cleanly over the top of the bolt head in the battery compartment. My 2 LiFePo4 batteries, a 50 & a 100, were then wedged in the compartment perpendicular, with the boxed 100 in the rear and the 50 in no box in the front. They are snug together & do not require strapping. I have a recent Grandby Shell with the driver’s side Shell battery/stove/heater setup in the rear corner.

Hi Stokeme,

I do hope I have that figured out. As I read you have changed to Li, this is also my intention. At the moment I am a little confused about the wiring (have to change my existing IOTA) unfortunatly the batteries are in the front right passenger side corner and the existing charger is in the rear left drivers side corner. I would be very thankfull for any connection/installation tips

thanks again

I have no IOTA. I am simple with 12v only. Panels, controller, Batteries. I am only cook book recipe ready with electrical. Post a request & ask for specific wiring guidance. Vic, Rando & others usually will reply with great info. WTW typically has been very helpful. You will need to be sure about LiFePo4 compatibility everywhere. Research the net & WTW for do’s & don’ts.

Very true. But, (see post #4) I needed something that could fit over a bolt head, which I could not remove. FWC installed, it had previously anchored a tie down strap for a 12V AGM Battery w/box. I could not delete the Battery from my FWC order, so I had to swallow it, if I wanted to receive the desired FWC factory wiring necessary for a ready to use Battery compartment. My LFP4 has a flat bottom and did not rest well on the bolt head. I only needed the one box for the rear 100aH Battery, my 50 is unboxed. Ended up using the AGM for my Klamath, so ok, as an older LA had to be retired.

As always send an email to Stan at 4 Wheel stan@fourwh.com

Give him the year, model and serial number. Stan knows everything 4 wheel and is a great resource.

ev done now. Cut off the narrow sides of the battery containers, took out the wooden "floor" and replaced with piece of rubber mat. Very tight fit for the Li-batteries. But ev secured.

Back
Top Bottom