battery isolator?

ottorogers

2015 Hawk Model, Tundra Truck

Is there a battery isolator/switch that protects the camper from electrical shorts? I was connecting my camper to the truck via the plug connector (Atwood), and I was cleaning out the ice (no idea how ice got inside the cover plate), and I got some sparks, I tested the electrical connections, and all 13 VOLTS, so I loaded in the camper thinking everything was OK, but after it was all installed, I tried the running lights, and got NOTHING, I looked at every single fuse I could find, all good. I was so disappointed as we are leaving for Arizona tomorrow, I came back to the truck/camper after an hour and everything worked. Is there a self setting/healing fuse somewhere inside the camper?? There must be as it did not work, and now it works??

I used dielectric grease on the camper wiring harness connection to the truck receptacle, I assume that is a good idea???

I called Four Wheel Campers and asked for assistance, they said they would call me back, but nobody called back, this is the 3rd time I have called Four Wheel and nobody called me back, I thought they had good customer service?? Seems strange they would say they would call back and then not do it.

I have had good luck contacting FWC and getting timely response (end of day) via email.

Not sure if the following is any help but given your immediate need: Do you have the manuals and installed options list for your camper? It seems to be the isolator make and model as well as the make/model of any distribution units (e.g. my IOTA has circuit breakers and fuses in it) or power converter/chargers should be listed.

If you have that make/model info but not the manuals you could go to the FWC website and click on the Support tab (upper right) and get a link to the appropriate manufacturer and manual.

Regards,

Craig

ckent323 said:
I have had good luck contacting FWC and getting timely response (end of day) via email.

Regards,
Craig
I also have heard others that contact FWC and they call back, not me, maybe I am calling at the wrong times?? No idea

Yes you should have one or two inline circuit breakers. One my the battery in the truck and one by the isolator.

Looks like this.
automotive_circuit_breaker.jpg

ottorogers said:
....... I was so disappointed as we are leaving for Arizona tomorrow, I came back to the truck/camper after an hour and everything worked. Is there a self setting/healing fuse somewhere inside the camper?? There must be as it did not work, and now it works?? ........

Follow-up

If you have a house battery (or pair of batteries) installed by FWC then you likely have a battery isolator (the isolator comes installed with the FWC aux. battery system option).

From the 2012 - 2016 FWC manual:

"The function of the battery separator (comes installed with the FWC aux. battery system option) is to disengage the truck power supply (i.e. the truck starting battery) when your truck is turned off, therefore keeping the truck battery fully charged. In each camper we usually install a Master 12 Volt Disconnect Switch (a small “red or silver” push/pull knob near the 12V fuse panel & circuit breakers) so that you can quickly & easily disengage the camper, from the camper battery, if you are not planning on using your camper. This will keep small items inside the camper (ex: propane/carbon monoxide sensor) from possibly draining.

Notes regarding the red or silver 12v master kill switch inside the camper: * The “IN” (pushed in) position means 12v power is NOT being allowed to power appliances. * The “OUT” (pulled out) position means 12v power IS being allowed to power appliances. Regarding the recharging of the campers Auxiliary Battery: * When using the truck’s charging system or the solar panel (if equipped), the red or silver 12v master switch can be in the “IN” or “OUT” position to allow recharging of the auxiliary battery. * When the camper is plugged into 120v shore power or a generator (electricity), the red or silver 12v master switch can be “IN” or “OUT” to operate appliances. However, when these power sources are being used, the red 12v switch must be pulled “OUT” to allow for recharging of the auxiliary battery through the 30amp IOTA power converter. If you are plugged into shore power (120V electricity) and would like your aux. camper battery to be getting recharged from the electricity source, please make sure that the red or silver push/pull 12v master switch is in the “ON” position (pulled out). This will allow the camper battery to get recharged from the power converter that is built into the camper (excludes shell models)."

I hope something here is helpful to you.

Good luck.

Craig

billharr said:
Yes you should have one or two inline circuit breakers. One my the battery in the truck and one by the isolator.

Looks like this.
automotive_circuit_breaker.jpg
does this isolator turn off all power, and then re-set itself over a period of time? It seems this may be what happened to me, all the sudden everything worked??

Correct - the breakers trip then auto reset once they have cooled down and the fault is removed. It should be pretty quick though - a matter of seconds.

So Cal Adventurer,

Thanks for the comment even if I was a bit wide of the mark but since there was urgency I figured I would take a shot.

(I assume you were directing that towards me since I think I was the only of the WTW Craig's who responded here).

At any rate, I'm always trying to help as best I can.

Regards,

Craig

ottorogers said:
does this isolator turn off all power, and then re-set itself over a period of time? It seems this may be what happened to me, all the sudden everything worked??
Just to clarify, this is a breaker not unlike the breakers in your house and not an isolator. Only difference between this breaker and those in your house is the self re-setting feature. Not all of these have this feature, some have a button that has to be pushed to re-set them.

rando said:
Correct - the breakers trip then auto reset once they have cooled down and the fault is removed. It should be pretty quick though - a matter of seconds.
For me it took over an hour before reset, I found that very strange, but it has worked fine for the last two weeks since we left on our trip

ntsqd said:
Just to clarify, this is a breaker not unlike the breakers in your house and not an isolator. Only difference between this breaker and those in your house is the self re-setting feature. Not all of these have this feature, some have a button that has to be pushed to re-set them.
mine does not have a button, but it did reset itself after about an hour, others have mentioned it shouldn’t take that long, it should be a matter of seconds, I have no idea why mine took an hour to reset, but that was two weeks ago, and everything has been fine since

Back
Top Bottom