Battleborn - charge settings

kmcintyre said:
I'll let you know. We've used it on a few 3-4 days trips and no issues. Still dialing in the charging, etc. but no issues so far. This trip will be longer and taking my solar panels w/ LifePO4 controller as we'll be off the grid the whole time and not moving much.
:cool:

Just a question on having two Battleborn batteries in parallel. Will the Victrom 100-20 see them as a single battery? Is there any adjustments needed to the Victron set up ?

buckland said:
Just a question on having two Battleborn batteries in parallel. Will the Victrom 100-20 see them as a single battery? Is there any adjustments needed to the Victron set up ?
Buckland - If you have two 12v batteries in parallel, your single meter (probably your Victron 712) will read those two batteries as one battery bank. The Victron 100/20 is an MPPT solar controller, not a meter, it will feed the parallel bank. If you want to know the health status of each individual battery you'd need to troubleshoot each battery separately by disconnecting the two batteries and putting a multi-meter on one battery at a time. But generally, one meter for monitoring your parallel set up will work fine - I'm assuming your two BB batteries are the same and purchased at the same time and are healthy to start with. The only adjustment to the Victron setup that will be different than the settings for only one 100 AH 12v battery is that you'll need to set the AH rating to 200 AH instead of 100 AH in your VictronConnect app, assuming you are talking about two BB 12v 100 AH batteries.

Rich

buckland said:
Thanks Rich,
BB 12V 100AH batteries.... but bought a year apart. is Ok?
Should be just fine. A 1-year-old BB isn't going to be significantly different than the new BB in terms of remaining battery capacity and health. It will most likely still rest at ~13.4v when full. If your 1st battery was, say, 5 years old it might drag down your new battery a bit and you wouldn't see the full benefit when combining the two batteries. But at 1 year this is highly unlikely if your battery was healthy to start with and you maintaned it properly. At least in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Rich

Ok, I said I'd give a report when we got back from our 2 weeks trip w/ our fairly new LifePO4 120ah battery pack I built. I'd say it was a complete success. We moved around about every 2-3 days and not super far but the battery always stayed charged. We don't have huge draws but did have to use the furnace a few nights. The only "issue" was that the victron Dc-to-DC charger had to be switched between user profile and their lifepo4 profiles to get it to start up. I'm in conversation w/ Victron to see what's happening and why that was/is.

One more question for Battleborn gurus.... I have my new 2nd Battle born I will be installing this month in parallel. So 200 Amp/hours 12V. I have 160W roof/100W flex portable panels = 260W . But right now just my 10 month old single 12v Battleborn in Camper.

My question is.....as I store my camper in a barn the battery (with main breaker off) just sits there at 13 V through the winter and actually drifted down to 12.8V. I checked on it the other day and thought I had better plug in shore power to bump it up. I have my 100/20 Victron set to the LiFePo4 setting that has 14.2 V with float at 13.3 V..... I have the dongle attached to the inverter for LiFePo4 battery charge profile.... but after 24 hours on shore power.... nothing on but the smoke detector .... it was still at 13.3 V.
Am I missing something ....isn't it supposed to charge up to 14.2 ?

buckland said:
One more question for Battleborn gurus.... I have my new 2nd Battle born I will be installing this month in parallel. So 200 Amp/hours 12V. I have 160W roof/100W flex portable panels = 260W . But right now just my 10 month old single 12v Battleborn in Camper.

My question is.....as I store my camper in a barn the battery (with main breaker off) just sits there at 13 V through the winter and actually drifted down to 12.8V. I checked on it the other day and thought I had better plug in shore power to bump it up. I have my 100/20 Victron set to the LiFePo4 setting that has 14.2 V with float at 13.3 V..... I have the dongle attached to the inverter for LiFePo4 battery charge profile.... but after 24 hours on shore power.... nothing on but the smoke detector .... it was still at 13.3 V.
It might have gone to 14.2 for a period of time while you weren't monitoring it, and then dropped down to 13.3 after it was fully topped off. You can either let it float, plugged in, or disconnect it and let it very slowly drop back down, over time, back to 12.8 or whatever it was at before you decided to top it off. A Battle Born sitting at 13.3 for a long period of time is healthy. Doesn't sound like you have an issue.

Rich

Rich

buckland said:

What charger/converter are you using for 110 power shore power charging the BB Li?

I only occasionally (once a year?) plug shore power into my camper. The Iota converter has the IQ4 dongle for the LiFePo4 profile and it "works". The Victron 100-20 is set for LIFePo4. 2011 Eagle build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 7.56.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 7.56.30 PM.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 35
If the Iota is really taking it up to 14.8V, that is too high, and it may have tripped the BMS over voltage on your Battleborn, which would explain why it dropped back to 13.3V. That looks more like the standard Iota set points, rather than lithium specific set points.

Hi Buckland
I have been in contact with both Battle Born and IOTA for charge profile.
This is from BB.

Hi Russ,

Bulk and Absorption voltages are normally set to the same value, but with the BB you can set them anywhere between 14.2v and 14.6v

For a float, I recommend a voltage between 13.4v and 13.8v.

There are some IOTA chargers that will benefit from the lithium adapter.
Mine from ATC is a DLS-30 IQ4 will not Benifits and the settings are 14.8B 14.2A, 13.6F
However there is a pot which is adjustable
Here is the link they emailed me.

Click link below to see instructions:
http://www.rivergatedist.com/SlotAdjustment.htm

Also this will void your warranty, and the adjustment affects all charge settings.

I haven’t done this yet so can not provide my results yet. Still waiting on battery.

Russ

Yes mine is A-ok for lithium but the pot adjustment is great! Any excuse to void warranty they jump at but I think that will do the trip and save $$$$$. Good luck with your new set up. You are gonna love that battery.... charges back up in half the time. And what a weight savings.... last battery I'll have to buy too !

Here is there complete manual for the IQ4 ... note the charge rate per cell on chart.

Attachments

• IQ LiFePo4 DLS charger :Iota.jpg
    IQ LiFePo4 DLS charger :Iota.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 28
For what it is worth...after digging into the function of chargers/converters used and BMS with a BB battery here is what I found out from talking to BB:

BMS Controls..

Charge shut-off 25 degrees F and 134 degrees F...............& @14.7V +
Discharge shut-off -4 degrees F and 140 degrees F............& @ 10 V -

Other Recommendations/limiters..

Max charge rate recommended 50amps per 100ah capacity
Best charging range for life of battery 20-95% SOC
Loss per month from 100% SOC when stored 2-3%
Maintaining over winter on charger not recommended as it unnecessarily cycles battery and reduces life cycles; disconnect to store is best
Charging at lower temps lessens battery life; optimal 70 degrees F
100% SOC @ 14.2V and when cell modules passively balance the level of charge between cells

As stated by others on this forum 14.4V and 13.6V are MAX voltages from charger to battery and less is safer and prolongs battery life

================
When I store my camper in shop, I will disconnect and not leave on converter 110V like I did my AGMs; but disconnect at 95% SOC

I intend to use 'VictronConnect' w/Blue Tooth to program and limit the 110V and solar charging of my heated Battle Born 100ah...Victron Converter, Controller and BMV 712 monitor.

Just me and I am learning so take all this with a grain of salt! I could be wrong... :cool:

Phil

Ps...Heating BB , which is controlled automatically between 24-45 degrees F, assures that discharge and charge is possible and not stopped by BMS

If you're interested, this is the BB manual, which spells out, pretty clearly, their charging parameters and suggested settings, and as has been suggested their BMS high voltage cutoff trigger is > 14.7v:

https://dragonflyenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/10012-Manual-FINAL.pdf

My settings for the BB 100AH follow:
charged voltage: 14.2v
absorbtion: 14.4v
float: 13.2v
max charge current: 30A
tail current 4.00%
charged detection time: 3m
puekert exponent: 1.05
charge efficiency factor: 99%
current threshold: 0.10A

I never plug in to shore power. My solar keeps battery topped off year round. My resting volatge is typically 13.4-13.5, and my max voltage is typically 14.4-14.5 at these settings. If I was storing the camper in a barn, I would charge up the battery to 100%, then disconnect the cables and let it rest and expect a 3-5% drop in SOC per month, which would probably equate to a 50 % discharge over about a year's time.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom