BBQ for camper - with a poll!

Charcoal or propane?

• Total voters

Gormley Green

Contributors
Hey all, just wondering what people use for BBQ's while out with their truck campers? I'm undecided b/w charcoal (superior, yes, but one more thing to lug around) or LP (already have 2 10lb bottles in my FWC Hawk). So, I thought I'd throw it out there for suggestions and see what other people use, how you transport/store it, etc... Even the compact ones tend to be a bit bulky and odd shaped.

I thought I'd throw a poll in too, jff. I know people get pretty set on how they grill!

Have at it. Cheers.

I use one of these:

lcYw0579E6a_xJNXSGIXk5-uYTpXfhxgAIR9epLs7cr4nr3xM2yNRdfGTqmd7uAKttDA8myaGADtJagAIz87wT8kqss_56uwHvlq9KqFg44qn3dSP_cP97PmR1-YBXB1kwLKKifjvxDXjb91sfIEYEacvg8scXXfW5lgApjs2f1mr01irhdRi-npiUgYm-zo7VoNnEYdCob4c0oj42semUXx

Inside one of these:
21FQaLAY7AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With room for this too:

K_cAS56HiE7nb5inNvZI5TnbEh7fDQgnpbBlHOASwGcMpemr6OKRtwIe-N1drAf7Blwseb47mmgUhoxiqdwBaa_n5qw7RGgeGubm9Bz2vW_6qXORwSWg3sl6To2X4rKANNVVaHmFRGLeOpoGFlyitwL7Ni3lQtucGmN-XbhzdIa7Te8ThcE7CTusanL5VE7nftIZP05vol_3oreWYmibmNUeVN6wSowQ0XwUVqDcmxjy2ug9HB23rU7agZw3JV7ZDPt4geQzOD6CcuFpL2YNV_eTxPeVqQ0qzMcPuBeo

PROS: Very light. Completely contained. Keeps smells contained.
CONS: Bulky, takes up space.

**With concept credits to TT**

You got my attention, I need one and will be watching for the winner.

I'm leaning toward propane though, less mess?

I use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill".

Weber-GoAnywhere-Gas-Grill.JPG

I've used one of these (and earlier versions of the same thing...after breaking control knobs letting it slide around in the bed of my pickup) for probably 15-20 years. I like the convenience (can't get more convenient than: 1) turn it on/ignite, 2) cook, 3) turn it off and put it away), it performs well enough for my purposes, and is large enough for my purposes (though probably not large enough for large family/group).
The photo shows it with a disposable propane container, but of course it will also work with a full-size tank-and-hose with the right adapter.

I stow it in what's supposed to be the porta-potty spot of my Hawk; it would also fit in the under-couch stowage.

"I use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill"."

MarK,

I like the looks of that one and it is even made in the USA!

Couldn't tell from the web site though if it uses the lava rock crap or plates of some kind?

Couldn't tell from the web site though if it uses the lava rock crap or plates of some kind?

A metal plate -- shaped like the roof of a classic tent or simple house. They call it the "flavorizor system/bar"...as in, the meat drippings hit the hot plate and create "flavor".
Here's a top view of the tent-shaped plate -- the tube that distributes the flame is hidden underneath, preventing flare-up:

Weber-GoAnywhere-Gas-Grill%202.JPG

SunMan and Mark, I like both of your setups. Thanks for the input.

I was checking out the Napoleon Travel Q at the Toronto Sportsman's Show recently, but haven't looked at enough alternatives to pull the trigger on anything.

We also use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill". For camping it works great, no ashes to mess with when done, and easy start n stop :LOL:

I use an Olympian. It mounts on my trailer.....or if I'm not using the trailer it also works freestanding. It works very well with no hot spots....very even heat/cooking. I just use a tee in my main propane line and run it off the same tank that runs the camper. The hose has a quick disconnect so it's a snap to hook up and take down.

My Hawk has the dinette option so I store it between the two seats. There is a slider that fits in there and makes it a great storage location for large items.

Here's a picture of it mounted to the trailer:
grill mounted to trailer2.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures of it freestanding:
grill freestanding1.JPG

grill freestanding2.JPG

I have been using one very similar to markbc's (but cheap wal-mart style, not as good of quality) for several years now. when not in use, I store the propane bottles and bbq tools right inside so it's all self contained. Then I house it inside an army "wet weather" bag up in the Yakima box on the roof. It only weighs a couple pounds so it doesn't weigh things down and when you're on the road it's up and out of the way. Everything is right there all contained. Very easy to clean and no fancy plumbing necessary. Simple and cheap. I think I've paid $25 or so for mine and they last a few years.

The bag is like this. Very tough and durable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILITARY-ARMY-SURPLUS-WET-WEATHER-BAG-/320547437172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa21dba74

I use one of these:

lcYw0579E6a_xJNXSGIXk5-uYTpXfhxgAIR9epLs7cr4nr3xM2yNRdfGTqmd7uAKttDA8myaGADtJagAIz87wT8kqss_56uwHvlq9KqFg44qn3dSP_cP97PmR1-YBXB1kwLKKifjvxDXjb91sfIEYEacvg8scXXfW5lgApjs2f1mr01irhdRi-npiUgYm-zo7VoNnEYdCob4c0oj42semUXx

Inside one of these:
21FQaLAY7AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With room for this too:

K_cAS56HiE7nb5inNvZI5TnbEh7fDQgnpbBlHOASwGcMpemr6OKRtwIe-N1drAf7Blwseb47mmgUhoxiqdwBaa_n5qw7RGgeGubm9Bz2vW_6qXORwSWg3sl6To2X4rKANNVVaHmFRGLeOpoGFlyitwL7Ni3lQtucGmN-XbhzdIa7Te8ThcE7CTusanL5VE7nftIZP05vol_3oreWYmibmNUeVN6wSowQ0XwUVqDcmxjy2ug9HB23rU7agZw3JV7ZDPt4geQzOD6CcuFpL2YNV_eTxPeVqQ0qzMcPuBeo

PROS: Very light. Completely contained. Keeps smells contained.
CONS: Bulky, takes up space.

**With concept credits to TT**

Ditto all of the above. My BBQ is 25 years old and still cooks great.

I use an Olympian. It mounts on my trailer.....or if I'm not using the trailer it also works freestanding.

Now that is an awesome setup! Thanks for the pics.

I use the Magma Marine Party Size BBQ. Compact with floor stand, propane powered either with one pound bottles or clylinder in camper. Works great for either BBQ's or baking. Great products, long lasting, but not cheap, but worth the money !! Stores under couch seat in a nylon bag.

I'm in the MarkBC/Stew camp with a Weber. Thanks to this thread I now know it's a Go Anywhere. Got mine at a yard sale several years ago. I do admit to having a penchant for cooking over an open fire or coals when I have the time and weather to build a fire and cook outside. Guess that puts me in both camps.

The nice thing about the gas style grills is in the deep, dry depths of summer they are allowed for use when fire restrictions outlaw the other.

I'm in the MarkBC/Stew camp with a Weber. Thanks to this thread I now know it's a Go Anywhere. Got mine at a yard sale several years ago. I do admit to having a penchant for cooking over an open fire or coals when I have the time and weather to build a fire and cook outside. Guess that puts me in both camps.

The nice thing about the gas style grills is in the deep, dry depths of summer they are allowed for use when fire restrictions outlaw the other.

I hear you. I prefer the taste of food cooked over coals, too, but it's nice to have the propane grill option when wood/charcoal fires aren't allowed (I bet that will be very soon now where I live). Around here in the dispersed camping areas there are a lot of pre-existing fire rings and collecting downed wood is allowed. For those places, I carry a lightweight campfire grill. I suppose a green stick would work too. :)

I use this. It folds up to less than 1" thick. I pack it between the two cushions for the bed extension. It probably won't last 25 years like some of these others, but I like the compactness of it.

Back
Top Bottom