BBQ for camper - with a poll!

Charcoal or propane?

• Total voters
I guess I'm a bbq junkie as I also have a Magna kettle like ntsqd has. :rolleyes: Got it for my boat since it will mount in a rod holder. Maybe my regulator is bad (I got it used) but it doesn't cook well and blows out even easier than the weber. The bottles frost up bad which doesn't happens with the other grills I have.

Ramblinman - I have friends that have the same grill and theirs get plenty hot to sear. <shrug>

I guess I'm a bbq junkie as I also have a Magna kettle like ntsqd has. :rolleyes: Got it for my boat since it will mount in a rod holder. Maybe my regulator is bad (I got it used) but it doesn't cook well and blows out even easier than the weber. The bottles frost up bad which doesn't happens with the other grills I have.

Ramblinman - I have friends that have the same grill and theirs get plenty hot to sear. <shrug>

Ours gets hot enough at max throttle to incinerate all of the drippings etc. and I can't recall it ever blowing out. The two questions that come to mind is, is it assembled correctly and are there any worn parts in the burner? I seem to recall that it can be assembled wrong. No idea what the performance would be like if so, caught my mistake and reassembled it. I've also never run it from a disposable. Suggest getting the bits to fuel it directly from the camper's tank and try it that way.

This is the only way to go :rolleyes::
09-expensive.jpg

I use the same as Riverrunner. After use, I let it cool off and put it in a big plastic bag and store it in the under-couch storage in my ATC. Been doing it for years and it works great.

DP

My in-laws used the Eco que. It was very efficient, only took a few charcoal briquettes to cook with. And folded up to an amazingly small size which is a plus for our small campers.

The Coleman looks interesting.Just this last trip we were thinking ,a gas grill would be nice to do some salmon and things.
My salutation is to use the Coleman 2 burner stove I carry and the cast iron grill plate we bought years ago for stove top grilling.
I tested it out and it seems to do just fine,but I like the looks of the Roadtrip Grill.
Will have to look into this further.
Thanks Frank

I prefer oak, but charcoal would be my second choice. I put this together a while back. It is a little heavy, but I use is for large groups.
img_86685_0_9fe225bd47b13b638f31fd1d6912eada.jpg

David_h said:
I use the Coleman Fold n Go Grille. Compact and good high output regulator. Good for four persons.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001494

David H
Mill Valley
06 Hawk

Desert Rancher said:
How well does this one work? It looks to be very handy and the griddle option would be useful.
However, the few reviews I found made it sound like it doesn't put out a lot of heat.
Can you cook up a bunch of chicken breasts easily? How about a turkey breast?

Thanks-
I use the Coleman Fold N Go as well, and I'm another David H....it stays lit in wind, the igniter actually works, it contains the grease, and it gets plenty hot. It folds way smaller than any of the other gas grills I've seen because propane tube and controller pops right out and the carrying handles folds inward. It fits in a box that fits in the space between my door and bench seat, under the seat extension, totally out of the way, along with the bocci ball set and other stuff. Very compact. I usally have it on pretty low to control heat because the flame is so close to the grate. I've done four chix breasts at a time, you could probably do five or six. Last weekend I had two pack of hot dogs on it at once. If you wanted to do a big tri-tip or something, the grate is big enough but the lid would not close over it. A bigger piece of meat like that is better over a wood fire anyway--I pack a grate and do a ground fire if pursuing those more ambitious endeavors.

I went through two Weber Go Anywheres and neither would not tolerate any wind at all. I found it worthless in Baja and most places. Walk away for a few minutes and the flame goes out. Come back to cold, propane-flavored chicken. Maybe the two I bought were duds but it seemed like a design flaw to me.

I've used the Pyromid and it works really well for charcoal and packs very small. Very efficient with few briquettes. But, the Coleman is smaller over all because there is no bag of charcoal or lighter fluid to deal with. Also no coals to worry about.

When FWCing, I vote gas, and for gas, Coleman Fold N Go.

I too have and like the fold and go. I also have the griddle and stove attachments. They all fit perfectly under the couch so I always have it.

Back
Top Bottom