BBQ for camper - with a poll!

Charcoal or propane?

• Total voters
Weber Go-Anywhere grills seem to be everyone's favourite. That's becoming pretty obvious!

Do most people store them where the porta-pottie would go, or do any of you have something particularly creative?

x10 -- So much easier and faster than charcoal.

But it is propane :eek: I have something that looks just like it but charcoal only. Surprised so many use dino gas (actually bottled dino farts) for cooking. Chimney starters make charcoal pretty quick.

I got one of those Q Webbers. I think mine is the 120, which has fold out mini tables. A bit pricey, but caste iron grill and caste aluminum body seems to make it a durable unit. Big plus: it fits under my bench seat, just barely.

I use one one these and it does the trick.

Rome Mini Folding Grill

80359.jpg

x2 on the Weber Q series, I have the Q100 which is very compact. The all have a real sturdy almost griddle like grill that cooks great!

P1160005.jpg

I almost feel like Hank Hill. Propane=no extra bag of charcoal to lug around. Can start cooking instantly, no waiting twenty minutes for the charcoal to get hot. No coals to dispose of. Grill cools much quicker, nice if you are ready to get going.

Charcoal=Tastes better. You get to play with flammable substances.

Son of Hibachi

A buddy of mine has one and LOVES it. I have yet to see it in action myself but he is a Q Master and I trust his judgement.

The only thing I don't like about it is no lid. No lid = no smoking action.

I have a cheap knock off of the "go anywhere" gas grill. Tie it into my camper bottle. Can find them anytime for $20 at HD or Lowes.

Works great, but i'm considering another option... a steel plate griddle that will just sit on my stove (outside camp stove) leaving one burner for cooking and the other for grilling. The gas grill is easy and doesn't take up too much space, but every cubic inch is precious, no? BTW, i have grilled and cooked (with a pan) on the gas grill in a pinch... but its harder to heat up a pan than a stove.

I have a friend with that cadac safari chef. The thing is cool, but you need another cooking utensil (he doesn't have a FWC with a stove inside) to do anything but the simplest meal.

yeah, gas gets my vote. Also, I always have a small jetboil in my kit. Hardly takes up any space and its perfect for morning coffee, water warmup during cleaning, etc.

R

I use this Pyromid grill that folds up to about an 1nch thick and has a 12 inch surface. It's all stainless and will cook a couple of steaks with nine pieces of charcoal. You use fire starter cubes to start the charcoal and it has a lid to smoke or regulate the cooking temps. It is a great design was made in the USA. Like a lot of great domestic products they are no longer made. They sometimes come up for sale on e-bay.

I don't use much charcoal so I store mine in the used plastic cubes that some Costco products come in and slip them in the space between the camper and the truck walls. The cubes fit nicely through the turnbuckle hatches.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• P1000117.JPG
    P1000117.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 211
  • P1000116.JPG
    P1000116.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 223
  • P1000114.JPG
    P1000114.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 223
  • P1000112.JPG
    P1000112.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 237
  • P1000113.JPG
    P1000113.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 196
I use this Pyromid grill that folds up to about an 1nch thick and has a 12 inch surface. It's all stainless and will cook a couple of steaks with nine pieces of charcoal. You use fire starter cubes to start the charcoal and it has a lid to smoke or regulate the cooking temps. It is a great design was made in the USA. Like a lot of great domestic products they are no longer made. They sometimes come up for sale on e-bay.

I don't use much charcoal so I store mine in the used plastic cubes that some Costco products come in and slip them in the space between the camper and the truck walls. The cubes fit nicely through the turnbuckle hatches.
Dsrtrat

That is pretty cool. Never seen one of those before.

I use this Pyromid grill that folds up to about an 1nch thick and has a 12 inch surface.

My outlaws, er, um, inlaws have the same grill. They bought it at a winery. Go figure.

I use the Coleman Fold n Go Grille. Compact and good high output regulator. Good for four persons.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001494

David H
Mill Valley
06 Hawk

Attachments

• Coleman fold n go grill.jpg
    Coleman fold n go grill.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 189
Dstrat:

Pyomid is the way to go. I have been looking for one for a while. sometimes they show up on ebay, but wow the prices. Have seen used ones, but usually with "holes" from over use.

The company in Oregon in gone belly up and the new folks have not done anything in a while. I have the cheapo folding charcoal grill that works ok, but the pyomid seems so much more versatile. Any other comments you would have and you don't have a spare one you would like to part with?

Now, if I could get a light weight and portable version of the big green egg in the camper, now that would be the bomb.

dave

Speaking of BBQ, today in La Paz I had some mexican food that was oh, so good. Tambiquena I think it was called/spelled. On the open grill, with some fresh onions. Throw in fresh home made guac, fresh beans, an enchilada with mole sauce and some great fresh salsa and I was in heaven. Grilled shrimp to start it all off. Man, that was one of the best mexican meals I have had. Washing it all down with some cold pacifico was oh so nice. What grill were they using? looked like 55 gal drum with wood. yum.

Anyone know how long the Pyromid Grill web site folks have been saying...

"If you are interested in a stove or other supplies, please let us know. We are currently out of stock of our stoves, and are working to undertake another manufacturing run in the near future. If you are interested in us contacting you when the stoves are available, please send an email to future purchase with a list of the products you want."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's the web site...

http://www.pyromid.net/

Looks like they haven't updated their copyright at the bottom of the web page in awhile...

"EcoPrime, Inc. © 2002-2007 - all rights reserved"

The grills are kind of a cult item as reflected in the high price. I like mine, the 12" is ok for two people and they made a larger 15" size that woulld be nice for a larger group. It uses natural convection to heat and the charcoal lights very quickly. I think it just proved too costly to manufacture. They sold new for around $70
and I bought mine on e-bay for $85. I wish someone would aquire the patent and start manufacture again but most folks won't pay that much for a quality product.
Dsrtrat

Dstrat:

Pyomid is the way to go. I have been looking for one for a while. sometimes they show up on ebay, but wow the prices. Have seen used ones, but usually with "holes" from over use.

The company in Oregon in gone belly up and the new folks have not done anything in a while. I have the cheapo folding charcoal grill that works ok, but the pyomid seems so much more versatile. Any other comments you would have and you don't have a spare one you would like to part with?

Now, if I could get a light weight and portable version of the big green egg in the camper, now that would be the bomb.

dave

Speaking of BBQ, today in La Paz I had some mexican food that was oh, so good. Tambiquena I think it was called/spelled. On the open grill, with some fresh onions. Throw in fresh home made guac, fresh beans, an enchilada with mole sauce and some great fresh salsa and I was in heaven. Grilled shrimp to start it all off. Man, that was one of the best mexican meals I have had. Washing it all down with some cold pacifico was oh so nice. What grill were they using? looked like 55 gal drum with wood. yum.

I thought these 2 items looked promising. Anyone used either?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200384092_200384092

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200368003_200368003

Back
Top Bottom