Bear spray vs a gun

craig333 said:
While I can sympathize with spraying the idiots who feed wildlife I really don't think its worth getting a assault charge over. Take a pic and give it to the authorities.
x2 on that, and get their license number if possible.

I was at the scene with the fish and game officer. I was helping to remove the bears from the camp ground. He had a meeting with them the next day.

Small caliber ammo is a cruel way to kill a large animal. Mostly just wound them and then have to chase them down. I go with bear spray for bears and pictures of idiots for rangers. If you want a weapon for bears use a short barreled shotgun with slugs and 00 shot.

A shotgun with slugs is a solid weapon for bears for sure. I however just bought a S&W Model 629 44 mag with a 5" barrel for ease of carrying. I'm amazed at it's accuracy too. I was hitting a 12" square metal plate at 100 yards 3 out of 6 times off hand!

It was the first time I had shot it after buying it last May. The long distance shooting was more for fun than anything. The closer targets, 20-25 yards, was the main focus. At that range the gun was easy to shoot tight groups. I paid for it though from the recoil. After 50 rounds my palm felt bruised!

I have a S&W 329 PD Alaska Backpacker IV in .44 Mag (name is longer than the gun). It has a 2.5" barrel and I am suprised at how light the recoil is. Much less than an Anaconda. I can hit a 4" dia. circle at 20 yards with it. Rifle or shotgun would be better for bear, but it is hard to carry a long gun and do other stuff at the same time.

I have a relative that is a fishing guide on the Kanai peninsula. He carries a .50AE in a chest holster and a small boat air horn. If you see a bear, blow the horn. If the bear runs your fine, if it doesn't better have the gun out, it is probably going to charge.

Never been intimidated by a paper target. Don't know how well I could shoot while soiling my pants :p

jim

In my turf I don't really carry either unless I'm hunting and going back out to a carcass for meat hauling and then I carry a .357mag. At that point I'm approaching a predator bait pile so I'd like to have protection/a noise maker. Ideally if something was in the vicinity I'd hope a shot into the ground would spook them away so I can grab/go to get what I need out of there and leave them to thier thing with the remains.

I have heard that in the greater Yellowstone area grizzlies will actually move towards the sound of a shot, expecting a gut pile - so a 'warning' shot can basically be a dinner bell for even more bears. Where bears are hunted it may be useful, though.

Stalking Light said:
I have heard that in the greater Yellowstone area grizzlies will actually move towards the sound of a shot, expecting a gut pile - so a 'warning' shot can basically be a dinner bell for even more bears. Where bears are hunted it may be useful, though.
I too have heard instances of that. You need to review the situation at hand and make your choices whether you abandon things (if your harvest is trashed/contaiminated you're unfortunately SOL, if not this would be wasteful/illegal), yell/make noise, wait things out, try a gun shot to spook, etc. Always helpful to not be solo in that country too.

Just to clarify I wasn't advocating taking a warning shot for no reason incase something was around, hope my first post didn't read that way. Warning shot would be a consideration if something was spotted at the kill are and it was felt it was a good idea to try that to spook it off (keep in mind in addition to bears there are lions, coyotes, wolves in some areas, etc. too).

I understand, was just passing along the info that warning shots are not always advisable. It's also a very different circumstance to be retrieving your own kill as opposed to just coming up on a carcass.

Beach said:
Great article. I agree 100% with bear spray for both two and four legged threats. As far as a hiking gun I really like glock 10mm models. Light weight and more rounds than a revolver. The new G40 MOS model has a 6in barrel for more velocity and better accuracy and has the option of mounting a small pistol optic on it. 15 rounds, longer barrel, and small lighter package than most .357 and .44mag revolvers. As for carrying/holster while hiking I like hill people gear's chest kit/bag. http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx
These bags also look nice for hiking in general and would keep your gun off your hip where it tends to interfere with backpack straps.

44 mag ammo is way easier to find then 10mm ammo. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen 10mm on the shelf...anywhere. The 10mm is not supported well in the market place and is more of a niche caliber.

For me accuracy is way more important. I can shoot my 44 mag so much better than my Glock 21. To make things even better I have my 44 mag at Apex Tactical (https://www.apextactical.com/) right now getting a trigger job. With that said if I had a 10mm I wouldn't go out and buy a 44 map just for bear protection. I'd use the 10mm and enjoy the extra rounds of ammo in the magazine.

Warning Shots etc. : My first face to face (read up close - 10yds) did not go quite as planned. While I thought about what to do and how to handle my self for years - all the planning and prep went out the window. I consider my self very proficient with a firearm - and have been trained by some of he best on the continent. In terms of experience I have lots of LE/Military Experience. What is the most interesting is I did not know what I did not know when it came to being close up with bears.

Grizzly stumbled across us on a mountain side walked up to 10 yds - while I had my trusty guide gun with me it felt like an eternity before I actually picked up the rifle and shouldered it. We first spotted the bear at 30yds walking towards us - we were glassing for Bighorn Sheep and were not paying attention to our surroundings(First Lesson). Having lots of experience up close with Black Bears I did not feel that the Grizzly was aggressive - I believe she was curious (Second Lesson). As she moved closer it was our soft talking that turned her.

In our infinite wisdom we decided to fire a warning shot while she was broad side to us (Third Lesson). This made her angry/aggressive - ears down, head down, huffing, and jumping (front legs). She finally went on her way after some more soft talking. I consider myself aggressive when it comes to protecting myself - being that this bear was apparently more curious than aggressive I did not want to shoot her. If I had shot her I wonder if anything other than a brain/brain stem/spine shot would have stopped her. Cape Buffalo and Elephant are well know to be very hard to turn during a charge unless they are shot in the brain.

If I had to do it over again I would have had Bear Spray with me And a Firearm - We can't carry Pistols in Canada. I would have started talking a lot sooner with the hopes of spooking her.

Bear spray on my belt for when I am away from my pack/rifle - and the rifle just cause I like them and it is another tool in the tool box.

Just cause you have a firearm/spray it does not mean that you will be able to access it as the most dangerous encounters are usually unexpected.

... and I would carry a pistol if it was legal in my parts.

There is no perfect answer .....

I was looking for bear spray, and they had "bear bells" next to it. My wife laughed, but I think the noise made would let the bear know...
I do carry a 45acp, but not really for the 4 leggers. Thought about going to a 10mm. I would not shoot at a bear unless absolutely necessary though, and will just get some spray. Black bear are all I'll deal with.

Jollyrogers said:
I was looking for bear spray, and they had "bear bells" next to it. My wife laughed, but I think the noise made would let the bear know...
I frequently hear the joke about bells in bear poop, but I know they deter black bears. In the Marble Mountain and Trinity Alps wilderness areas the bells have alerted bears to our presence. The bears were gorging on ripe berries and we got much closer than any of us liked, but when the bears heard the bells they took off. The bells are obnoxious otherwise, but they work.

Back
Top Bottom