Benton Hot Springs - November 2018

You folks do get about :) great report! Crowley columns are awesome.

Bad news for you. Since you rolled the clock back 10 years, you have to return the geezer card. The restorative powers have a down side... :(

The good news is that we don't have fires much around here, the bad news is we don't have hot springs either. We know the fires are a serious problem for many. Our heart goes out to those affected and we hope for the best in that regard. The hot springs on the other hand sound wonderful. Thanks for the report. :)

We're heading that way next Wed/Thur, despite mixups with reservations.
At Benton, we've hiked the granite canyon above to fill the day, but found impenetrable brush and gave up. There's a few climbing bolts installed in the first outcrops that we top roped at 5.7ish

The smoke is like nothing I've seen before. Even when I was fighting fires it was only smoky for a short time. I didn't realize the smoke made it over to the East side.

Crowley columns are amazing. I wonder how it is I've never heard of them before?

Now that is funny!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
You folks do get about :) great report! Crowley columns are awesome.

Bad news for you. Since you rolled the clock back 10 years, you have to return the geezer card. The restorative powers have a down side... :(

Thanks for the kind comments! We are glad you enjoy these stories of ours!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Ski such a nice short trip.
Liked all the shots of the columns.
Very interesting formations.
Thanks for sharing.
Frank

takesiteasy said:
The good news is that we don't have fires much around here, the bad news is we don't have hot springs either. We know the fires are a serious problem for many. Our heart goes out to those affected and we hope for the best in that regard. The hot springs on the other hand sound wonderful. Thanks for the report. :)

Enjoy Benton! :)

Lighthawk said:
We're heading that way next Wed/Thur, despite mixups with reservations.
At Benton, we've hiked the granite canyon above to fill the day, but found impenetrable brush and gave up. There's a few climbing bolts installed in the first outcrops that we top roped at 5.7ish

Thanks all for the nice comments. Julie enjoys your comments and responses. :)

craig333 said:
The smoke is like nothing I've seen before. Even when I was fighting fires it was only smoky for a short time. I didn't realize the smoke made it over to the East side.

Crowley columns are amazing. I wonder how it is I've never heard of them before?

Smokecreek1 said:
That was neat! -----and a happy birthday soak to top it all off with!

Smoke

longhorn1 said:
You do continue to outdo yourself. Happy belated B'Day. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed reading your trip blog and those photos were great. It brought back a few great memories of my own. An enchanted area.
I had my share of adventures in Long Valley caldera, both for work (studied earthquakes up there with the U.S.G.S for a few years) and personal recreation there that began as a young teenager in the1960's, and continues to this day. I hope to run into you both somewhere in the trans Sierra someday. I drive a silver 4X4 F-150 with a "Silver Spur Hawk" on back. There is a big U.S.G.S decal in the back window of the Hawk.
Happy Birthday!
John

COOL..!!..:)

I worked at Crowley lake for two seasons (79 & 80). And did not know about those features. My gal wants to go!

Good birthday trip...

I knew that area as Chalk Bluffs. Never boated over to them. Maybe the water level was high. There is various hot springs in the lake, better fishing areas. So much cool stuff every where is hidden under water or under soil .

Well done, I think I have read everyone of your trip reports and will be using many to create my own trips. I've been looking at four wheel camper for a while and your reports just confirm how well they work for getting off of the beaten path. Thanks for taking the time..

Back
Top Bottom