Berts 1983 FWC Fleet, Total Rebuild

Vic Harder said:
Sweet. Pipe up when you want electrical help....
Awesome!! I'm currently trying to figure that out.

This is what I have right now. 2 of the Renogy 100w Kits on Black Friday, https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100w-12v/starter-kit/
I wanted the MPPT charger but these kits were on sale for $100 or less and I could not say no. I might upgrade to the MPPT eventually but hoping the PWM is fine for now. I have the Ali Battery Monitor, 2 MaxxFan Deluxe's, and a Chinese 5KW Diesel heater.

I'm not doing shore power. All 12v system. I always boon dock so no need for shore power. I will also have no water system. So no pump of any kind.

Other than mentioned I'm thinking 5 LED lights and a couple USB charging ports for cell phones. That should be all my electrical needs.

Sounds like people like to use 12ga duplex wire. I was thinking using that to wire this all together.

I see I need a Fuse Block, people seem to like this one https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--st-blade-fuse-block-12-circuits-with-negative-bus-and-cover--3733490?fbclid=IwAR12b0kUqrCAxrfFDLM7ze6p7EuoC1pQaI7kVyM6MHSTAOW9Z75yaqTE3dw

Having 12 circuits I should be able to wire everything on its own circuit if that's needed.

Battery, I'm thinking 100AH AGM. I'm hoping one battery will be enough for my needs. I see the AGM 100AH is really 50AH since you don't want it to get below 50%. Lithium can go to 20% so that same 100AH would be 80ah of usable. I do mostly winter camp at ski resorts and heard lithium doesn't do well in cold climates with charging. I might need to go with (2) AGM 100AH but the extra weight sucks. If I need 2 AGMs I might go with 1 lithium. I'm still trying to decide on that and keep this budget friendly.

Am I missing any other components? I'm all ears for recommendations.

Thanks for your help!!

Bert, the Blue Sea gear is very nice, and is what I use a lot of. Note that you likely do not want to use 12g duplex (house) wiring. The vibration will not be good for solid wire. A nice pre-tinned marine gauge stranded wire would be better, in a variety of gauges. 8g from battery to fuse panel, and 16g for the individual circuits, for example.

For your USB ports, consider the Blue Sea gear. I got one of these Blue Sea Systems 1045 Fast Charge 4.8 Amp Dual USB Charger (pkys.com) and put it in one of these Blue Sea 4365 Water-Resistant Accessory Panel with 15A Circuit Breaker, 12V Socket and 2 x 2.1A Dual USB Chargers (pkys.com)

Vic Harder said:
Bert, the Blue Sea gear is very nice, and is what I use a lot of. Note that you likely do not want to use 12g duplex (house) wiring. The vibration will not be good for solid wire. A nice pre-tinned marine gauge stranded wire would be better, in a variety of gauges. 8g from battery to fuse panel, and 16g for the individual circuits, for example.

For your USB ports, consider the Blue Sea gear. I got one of these Blue Sea Systems 1045 Fast Charge 4.8 Amp Dual USB Charger (pkys.com) and put it in one of these Blue Sea 4365 Water-Resistant Accessory Panel with 15A Circuit Breaker, 12V Socket and 2 x 2.1A Dual USB Chargers (pkys.com)
Perfect, Thanks for the website, much cheaper there compared to other places. I'm placing a order for some 8ga and 16ga. As well as the Blue Sea 5026 Fuse Block, Blue Sea 4365 Accessory Panel and a 4.8A dual USB charger. There goes $200, money well spent though.

Now I'm on to finding interior LED lights. I'm thinking keeping the lights off the ceiling and mount them high on the walls so I don't have to run to many wires through the pop up. Hoping the 2 ceiling fans/vents will be it.

Thanks!

Vic Harder said:
I used these lights. I have 4 strips in mine, which is very nice and bright with no shadows. note the pricing is in Canadian funny money...

EShine 3 Panels 40 Inch Extra Long LED Dimmable Under Cabinet Lighting Kit. Hand Wave Activated - Touchless Dimming Control. Cool White (6000K): Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement
hi vic. where do you put those led light strips in your pop up? i have an atc shell, with their factory lights in roof, but will need more lights around

goinoregon said:
hi vic. where do you put those led light strips in your pop up? i have an atc shell, with their factory lights in roof, but will need more lights around
On top of the wooden trim slats, and centered so that they don't interfere with the roof lift panels.

I'm back on the project. I have a newborn at home which actually gives me more time to work on the project as I'm a home body for awhile.

Question on siding and 3M VHB tape.

I plan on using .024 thick aluminum sheets. I'm still trying to outsource that, I need (5) 4'x7' sheets, ideally a light to medium gray.

My plan is to apply the tape on all the studs and use a router to cut the openings and around the camper. I was reading about the aluminum shrinking and expanding in the elements and the panels could potentially pop off so to speak. Do people leave a little gap or is it okay to route it perfectly? I don't want to have issues down the road. I have a hard time believing the panels would pop with this tape all over it, I mean, this tape sounds like once it sets its not going anywhere. Add in the hundreds of screws, I don't see much movement but wanted to check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom