Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

i wouldnt write off a short bed truck.....especially when its purpose is to carry a camper.
long bed trucks have multiple compromises due to their wheelbase.
turning radius, crest angle, etc.

the shorter the better...for rough country work.

Against my better judgement ? I'm going to weigh in on this one, Ford/GM/Dodge, 2wd/4wd, Gas/Diesel, Short box/long bed, Lots of choices. Aint our country great??!!

I am a GM Brat so I will admit I am biased but I went to grade school and High school in the metro Detroit area with just too many fools whose only goal in life was to get hired on at the River Rouge ford plant and get into the UAW and coast for the rest of their working lives. While I am sure that those that did that ultimately got their due reality check I did not hang around to find out. Ford makes a great truck, my best friend has one (more on that below) their cars scare me. (Frankly the last GM car I rented was a POS too go figure)

All of the majors are making good trucks, the problems come when you start modifying them. All of the modern engines, diesels especially, respond to upgrades well (to a point) then durability and reliability suffers, There is always a trade off. The GM Duramax (which is actually an Isuzu design NOT a mitsubishi as posted above (anyone who has spent time in the far east will attest that Isuzu OWNS the mid/heavy truck market in Asia) is wicked powerful and plenty fast right off the lot. But thats the reason they require the Allison tranny, and both together will add over 9k to the sticker price, I just bought one. My best friend has an 08 f250 PS ford.
Although they are remarkably similar, there are differences, My truck rides better on the highway, his feels more secure off road, While my interior is very cush, I like his dash setup much better. My truck gets better mileage, but his engine seems much quieter.

I think it was Parnelli Jones who once said that 4WD was only good for getting you out of where you didn't belong in the first place, but I am a firm believer in that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. So I got the 4WD. All that being said, I am not anticipating any serious off roading with this thing anytime soon. Between the terrible reputation the GM IFS has for durability in that environment (and yes the front suspension just looks wimpier than the Ford) and the sticker price (Hey I did my part for the "bailout"!) It will be a while before Moby goes stump jumping. Man it rides smooth on the highway though and did I say fast?!

I have the 6.5' bed. It is still a bitch to maneuver in the tight parking lots of southern california. I can only Imagine the issue with an 8 ' bed.

I only have about 7K miles on moby and my friend has about 18k on the great white, (his F250) He has been back to the dealer 2wice for computer issues and once for a tramsmission issue (it was a recall, I dont think he actually had a trans problem) I have been back to the dealer once for a computer remap.

So Here we go! Stir...Stir :D

From my experience driving all 3 makes in a fleet of trucks used to haul campers in the North East (Ford GM and Dodge) Here's what I found starting with the diesels first.

Fords are slow off the line, and have trouble getting out of their own way when you need them to make that turn while towing heavy loads. (F250 and F350 Diesels 2000-2003 Model years)

Chevy/GMC were quickoff the line, plenty of HP (300-310 depending on which Generation Duramax) but the Allison torque converters would go at about 80,000 miles and GM will rebuild a Duramax rather than replace it if it's under warranty. (Blew one torque converter cost $3500 to replace at 81,000 miles)(1999-2005 Duramax 2500/3500)

Dodge has a problem with transmissions, they usually go at anywhere from 40,000 to 80,000 miles. THe Cummins Turbo Diesel is a dream but the transmissions tend to lose the low and reverse band, leaving you dead on the side of the road with no warning at all. (1997 and 2004 Dodge 2500, 2003 Dodge 3500)

As for gas models, I would avoid any engine with more than 8 cyliders (like Ford's V10 and Dodge's V12)
In a 3/4 or 1 ton, stick with a 5.7 Litre or larger, I've got a 4.8L V8 in a 1/2 ton Silverado and it lacks HP when towing. Funny part is my 4.3L V6 in my GMC can run circles around the Silverado when towing the same load.

If possible, opt for the manual transmission if it's available. mainly as you get better highway milage than with the automatic for long rides (I average 16-17 MPG with my GMC 4.3L 4 Speed Automatic, but got 20-21 MPG with my C1500 4.3L 5 Speed Standard Transmission)

Also opt for the 8 Foot bed, which may only be available in the 1 ton crew cabs as a special order (too many Soccer Dad's out there that the manufacturers cater to with the 6 1/2 foot bed)

Good luck

While a I agree many trucks these days are SUV's they are bought as a compromise. Some of the above data is not correct however. I have an 8' bed extended cab F150 and as you say they are not common but are available. It has 3 doors, is 4 wheel drive which cuts payload a bit, and still has a 1440 payload. Mine came with a 4.6 and I don't think they ever should have put that motor in such a big vehicle, the 5.4 would have made more sense. Given my driving, parking, and truck use I don't have any use for a shorter bed but they make sense for a lot of people/families. My FWC camper now sits on an F250 (8') which is a much better machine for hauling it around.

Wow! great information guys!!!!

I will kill part of the debate I can NOT go long bed for the type of country I like to go into. Im going to be lucky if the full size alone will fit never mind the camper. Second I will not purchase a 2wd truck.
I know short bed will be a compromise in the "work" environment but Ive done more with less.
Its too bad about the surroundings of the Duramax that would be my first choice.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

BTW John C, Thanks for quoting Parnelli Jones !

ken

I have the reliable V8 gasser in my F250 and I solved the range problem by getting a larger aftermarket fuel tank. The setup has worked great. Cheaper than a diesel and without the worries associated with the various diesel engines that have been discussed here. If you aren't going to tow or haul anything bigger than the camper, not sure you need a diesel. I will admit though that a diesel has a lot more torque and in steep terrain mark easily drives in high when I have to switch to low. Not a huge deal though.

Oh - and I think you may have identified who the cranky pants are around here. Never mind them they mean well most of the time :D

Although we have a 2006 F250 FX4 CC 5.4L (gasoline) short bed that has worked well, I would have gotten one of these if I could have found one cheap enough:

Power Wagon

BTW, all three full sized domestic trucks are now Consumer Reports 'Recommended' which speaks volumes for the overall quality of new domestic vehicles.

Although we have a 2006 F250 FX4 CC 5.4L (gasoline) short bed that has worked well, I would have gotten one of these if I could have found one cheap enough:

BTW, all three full sized domestic trucks are now Consumer Reports 'Recommended' which speaks volumes for the overall quality of new domestic vehicles.

Interesting that it has a 4.56 axle??

Interesting that it has a 4.56 axle??

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 138

Power Wagon

Excellent words everyone!!

Yes. today I going to look @ an 05 Power Wagon that just might follow me home.
1 ton axel shafts
Lockers f&r
Elec. sway bar disconnect
Factory winch
Off road suspension

hemi :( gasser I will keep optimistic on the 5.7 but would rather burn diesel.

Thanks again!
ken

Ken,

Just curious, why did you not look at a toyota? Seemed as if you were happy with the Landcruiser?

-mike

Consumer report named the chevy vega as car of the year and I think the chey 350v-8 diesiel bomb also. I don't put much stock in consumer report.

Ken,

Just curious, why did you not look at a toyota? Seemed as if you were happy with the Landcruiser?

-mike

Good question; Im extremely partial to the Toyota mark , 1st the Tundra is IFS and there is no locker option that im aware of. It was going to cost a lot more to modify the Tundra to my needs believe me I would have loved to purchase another toyota and yes I adore my 80 series.

ken

Congrats Ken,

For those of us ignorant of the Dodge line (me), what specifically makes it a "power wagon".

Tell us all about it

Congrats Ken,

For those of us ignorant of the Dodge line (me), what specifically makes it a "power wagon".

Tell us all about it

You and me both...

Here is some reading : http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/powerwagon/index.htm

Basically its a true purpose built "off road" full size. Oh and very hard to find ( I only saw one for sale on the west coast)

ken

Congrats Ken. The PW is one awesome machine. Now lets see some pics. :cool:

marc

Well all I have is this lame driveway shot:

Attachments

• DSC_0635.jpg
    DSC_0635.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 428
Wow, that is a nice looking rig, can't wait to see it with a camper on it!

Back
Top Bottom