Best place to buy D or E load range tires

Hamer95USA

Hello Wander The West folks,

I recently purchased a hard side camper and would like to install a set of either D or E load range tires so I can drive safely on the road. Bringing the hard side camper home strapped with ratchet straps and on C load range tires wasn't a good experience for me. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy tires online or local in northern California? Your experience and knowledge in this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for responding. I've looked at both websites listing my tire size as 235/75/15 and couldn't find any tires in the E load range. My vehicle is a 1999 Toyota Tacoma. Why are these listed as trailer tires? Would you be kind enough post a link for me of where I can find some tires with that load range please?

Tire Rack and Discount Tire both have great selection on their websites.

I've used Tire Rack many times with good success. If you call their tech support guys they can help you select the best tire. They will ship to an installer near you. They have a big warehouse in Reno so shipping is pretty quick if it's in stock.

I got Cooper AT3 E range from Discount Tire which matched a very low price offered by Sears. Discount has a reputation of matching any offer you present to them from a competitor.

I have a 2008 Tacoma with Cooper AT3 C range and that exact size was not available for the E range so I went with a slightly narrower and taller tire, 245 70R16, which I have read is better for off highway use anyway.

I have not driven them enough yet to fairly judge them, but so far they are not any noisier on highway than the ones they replaced and I have not noticed any problems regarding handling, on and off road.

Just realized that you're looking for tires for a 15" wheel. That's gonna be tough. Your truck is 18 years old and trucks come with much bigger wheels these days. 17-18" is typical, on up to ridiculous 22, 24, etc.

If you're not willing to get new wheels I think you'll have to settle for load range D tires. Check your gross weight and find a D tire with a load index that will handle the weight. Load index is more important than load range anyway.

America's Tire is the brick & mortar arm for Discount Tire...good company. Plenty of locations in NorCal. Also, Les Schwab has locations up there. Frequently they carry house or "off brands" made by the major manufacturers that are quite reliable. Load range D may be fine for your application, be sure to ask questions about sidewall stiffness, etc. Good luck with your search.

I did a Ford dealer tire match from Costco, I won't do it again. Ford scratched two rims, not a big deal, but I'd rather scratch my own wheels :). No warranty outside of BF Goodrich standard. And no national support for problems, my dealer only. I used Ford so I could get my speedo recalibrated as I went 1 size taller. For my research Costco offered the best price, the best added warranties, national service at all Costco tire locations, I think they even use nitrogen, but IMHO that's not a benefit I can detect. I have in the past ordered online and had them installed locally by an independent but this doesn't do anything for national support. Tire Rack is excellent on customer service over the telephone. Oh, for all my vehicles and motorcycles esp " There are few better feelings than new tires, properly inflated and grippy. I googled around a bit, and like mentioned above, they could be hard to find. Perhaps larger steel wheels from a salvage yard or online supplier might be a great idea...There is a ton of confidence in an E load tire for sure.

Good luck in your quest.

Rock

Les Schwab and discount are both great to work with. My last set of tires (Cooper S/T MAXX) I bought at a small local tire shop that I've had great results with in the past. I like supporting local when I can and still have the Cooper Warranty should I need it.

Hamer95USA said:
Thanks for responding. I've looked at both websites listing my tire size as 235/75/15 and couldn't find any tires in the E load range. My vehicle is a 1999 Toyota Tacoma. Why are these listed as trailer tires? Would you be kind enough post a link for me of where I can find some tires with that load range please?
America's Tire in Walnut Creek has 3 brands of 225 /75 R15 E rated tires from which to choose. I use them all the time for tires and they are great. If you don't live close to them, they have stores all over Nor Cal. Best of luck!

Where I live and primarily travel in central to northern CA and up in Oregon, it's worth it for me to buy from Les Schwab. I just paid ~100 a tire more for the Toyo RTs than I could have got them for at an online retailer, just for peace of mind. Les Schwab has saved my shorts more than once with roadside service. My wife's truck had a complete blowout on a 110 degree day, fully loaded with a trailer on the side of 99 coming back from Yosemite. Odd size, no useable spare. Called the local Les Schwab 10 minutes before closing, they looked her up in their system and said "no problem". They went to another les schwab location 50 miles away that had the tire in stock, brought it back, took the wheel and mounted the tire, and had her on the road in a few hours. They even covered the tire under warranty!

Since then, I've stuck with the plan
Critical vehicles with heavy towing and long distance travel=common sizes from Les Schwab
Daily Drivers, play vehicles=cheapest retailer possible

Discount/America's Tire has always been good as well but they don't have the dealer network near me like Schwab does.

Here's another idea if you want to save money. I was getting tired of the noise my 1/2 worn Toyo MT's were making so I bought a basically brand new set of tires and wheels off Craigslist. They were from a 2017 F250 and fit my 05' perfectly. Goodyear Wrangler AT w/Kevlar and nice 18" factory wheels for $1,000. Super nice ride and much quieter, and I was able to sell the old set of tires and wheels for $600. There are lots of other new or almost new takeoffs for sale on CL.

Also, I was a big fan of Les Schwab until they quoted me over $700 to do a front brake job on my truck! Needless to say, that didn't happen-I ordered premium PowerStop components and did it myself for about half that. They use cheap quality replacement parts and their tires are overpriced. A few months ago I got a replacement spare tire (my old tire was old and had sidewall cracks) from Americas tire for literally 1/2 the price.

Discount Tire is where I go now. i use to be a Schawb customer but I only go there if I have too now. The service is not as good as it used to be, they are really expensive, and i won't let them do any sort of service on a trailer yet alone on my rig. When I needed new tires for the dually, Discount tire was $1400 less for the same BFG tires.

OP - your going to have a tough time finding E rated 15's. Might need to invest is some 16" wheels.

Would it be safe to buy either D or E load rated trailer tires for my truck with 15" wheels? I'm having a hard time finding tires to fit my wheel size.

CamperCamper said:
America's Tire in Walnut Creek has 3 brands of 225 /75 R15 E rated tires from which to choose. I use them all the time for tires and they are great. If you don't live close to them, they have stores all over Nor Cal. Best of luck!
Would you be kind enough to show me the tires for sale that would fit my criteria for what I'm looking for? I called a number of places and am having a hard time finding what I need to so I can haul my camper.

Hamer95USA said:
Would you be kind enough to show me the tires for sale that would fit my criteria for what I'm looking for? I called a number of places and am having a hard time finding what I need to so I can haul my camper.
Try this link: https://www.americastire.com/fitmentresult/tires/searchBySize?q=%3Aprice-asc%3AloadRange%3AE1&text=&diameter=15&width=225&aspectRatio=75&E1=on#

They have 4 sets of 225/75/R15 E load range tires for sale. The guys at this store are very knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom