Best Procedure for Washing Dishes?

alano said:
We usually wash outside using a plastic basin with hot water from the water heater (large jobs) or "cooked" water from the stove (small jobs). I like to use the outside shower for rinsing. If inside, we do it pretty much the same as everyone else here but use the sink to wash then stack them in the basin until ready to rinse and put on the table for drying.

I wish every campground had a policy on what they want you to do with grey water.

Alan
Alan the campgrounds may have a policy but they don't display it. It's like they want to keep it a secret.
They give all this info about not using the camp water faucets for anything but getting water from them,but forget about what you are supposed to do with the "gray" water. Fortunately most of know what to do .
Lots of great ideas about "how we wash dishes".
Frank

We have plastic plates and use paper plates on the top. We have stacking bowls and add hot water and soap, minimal washing required for us. After washing everything is placed on an absorbant drying mat. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

LiveLifeNow said:
I'm surprised that more folks don't hook a short hose to the exterior drain outlet of the sink, leading to a collapsible jug. Washing dishes in a pail set in the sink just seems to add one more item that needs washing and drying. As a newbie, this is just my impression.
That's exactly what we do. We do wipe down dishes, but generally get some hot water going in our all purpose coffee pot and use that to wash with some Bronner's. Air dry on dish towels.

When I'm done using my hot dog stick, I usually just throw it in the fire. If I'm doing a group operation we usually use paper plates. As for what needs washed, I'm a fan of Camp Suds because:
1 a little goes a long way
2 it's bio degradable
3 it works well in hot or cold water

As for water consumption I usually don't worry because if I'm near water and:
1 it's flowing well
2 it looks clean
3 it dips up clear and clean
I'll dip some up and hard boil it to clean with

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

LuckyDan, I like the way you think!

Share some ona'stick recipes?

Seth said:
LuckyDan, I like the way you think!

Share some ona'stick recipes?

I was introduced to this one at 6th Grade Camp, A.K.A. Outdoor school. It's easier to paste this recipe than write it up myself

http://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/tutorial/how-to-cook-bannock-on-a-stick-campfire-bread/

Another is to just use buttermilk biscuit in a tube mix. I ball up a couple of biscuits with a smidge of flour into one and wrap it on a clean, whittled stick and bake. I slice one end when done and pull it off. Follow it with a roasted hot dog and cheddar sliced thin to make a Pig in a Blanket.

I've got a couple other links that are way quicker than me typing and have some stuff I haven't tried. I'll head to the Camp cooking and post there. "Thanks for likin ma thinkin"

AK Nomad said:
Clean your plates up kids! :) No need to wipe anything off.
Hot soapy water in sink (just enuf to get the job done)
Wash dish.
Rinse dish with hot water under faucet. (don't have fancy spray thingie)
Place dish in Camco RV dish drain sitting next to sink. (fits in sink for storage)
Let air dry or towel dry and put dish away.
Drain sink - I use a short piece of garden hose to drain sink into collapsible water container.
Dispose of as mentioned.

Our 20gal water tank lasts a long time - over a week including showers.

No kids or dogs [Hmmm?] so we wipe dishes essentially clean with paper towel..don't use oils/grease so need for hot water is negated....which saves propane...bio-soap...deep plastic basin fits sink and dish drain w/tray is on counter then it fits inside sink basin for travel..air dry...must fess up that unless required I drain grey water onto ground depending on the environment..but then again I don't bag my poop and love to pee outdoors.. :D

Phil

Ps...Does anyone know of an extender for the FWC sink faucet spigot? It needs to be more in the center of the sink and not so close to the back edge of the sink.

Back
Top Bottom