Better water tank level sensor/gauge?

As I can't just cut a slot to see my water tank, I ended up ordering one of these:
http://www.newprovidencemarine.com/product_sensor.html#foil

I have access to one end of the tank through my hot water heater cabinet, so the install should be straight forward.

I still like the sight glass idea, but I realized I am more comfortable plumbing electrons than I am plumbing water, thus the electronic solution. If this sensor works, I may end up replacing the FWC monitor panel completely. With the level sensor and the BMV-700 battery monitor, the monitor panel will no longer serve any purpose.

rando said:
As I can't just cut a slot to see my water tank, I ended up ordering one of these:
http://www.newprovidencemarine.com/product_sensor.html#foil

I have access to one end of the tank through my hot water heater cabinet, so the install should be straight forward.

I still like the sight glass idea, but I realized I am more comfortable plumbing electrons than I am plumbing water, thus the electronic solution. If this sensor works, I may end up replacing the FWC monitor panel completely. With the level sensor and the BMV-700 battery monitor, the monitor panel will no longer serve any purpose.
Those look nice but the display panels are expensive.

We are old school and use a dip stick with notches. We poured in a gallon at a time and notched the 3/8 dowel rod at each level. We have a access port in the top of the tank to take the measurements.

Cheers

kmcintyre said:
Those look nice but the display panels are expensive.
True. But it also looks like this sensor just outputs a voltage that is proportional to the water level. So my hope is just to use a potentiometer to adjust the voltage to have a physical meaning (like 2V = 20 Gal) and use a little LCD panel meter to display the level. I can shift the zero too if that turns out to be necessary. We shall see if it is that simple.

XJINTX said:
I would like to know if anyone has actually had an issue with running out and not expecting to?
Well, yes, sort of, on my last trip. A couple of weeks ago, I was halfway into a two week trip, and watching the LEDs because I knew I was running low from the amount of water I had been dumping from my grey water bag. The display showed two LEDs on, indicating 1/3 full, when the pump started pulling air. I knew I had been getting close, but I thought the display would go down to one LED before the tank was completely empty. I had an extra 3 gallons stashed in the truck cab, so I was able to refill until I could get to more water.

When I got home, I filled the tank until water ran out the air hole, and then drained it as I watched the LEDs. Again, the second LED never went off when the tank was empty. I also tried parking on a 10 degree hill to make sure all the water was out, but but still 2 LEDs on.

I need to do more careful measurements, but the third LED (the one labeled 2/3) seemed to go out when there were about 7 or 8 gallons left.

It would be nice if all the LEDs except for the one labeled E went out when the tank gets down to about a gallon or so.

Yukon said:
Here's my "simple" solution to the water level. 100% reliable, simple, can be viewed from outside of the camper. 12 gallon tank.
Chris
Nice Cabinetry! I think this is the route I would like to go. My water tank doesn't have any indicator of how full it is and I'm honestly surprised the slot wasn't part of the factory design...simple and effective. The digital ones make a little more sense in larger RVs where the tanks are likely more hidden, but they sight glass or even simpler slot in the panel seems like the perfect low-tech solution.

I'm interested in this mostly so I can take as much water as I need and leave the extra weight at behind. It'll also be good to really know how much water is needed by tracking how much is used each trip.

I like the dipstick idea too, but I don't think I could access it without a hinged or flexible dipstick of some kind.

Colorado Mark said:
I'm really old school. My drain bucket is a 5 gallon pail. When I have emptied the bucket 3 times, its time to start thinking about adding more water.
Ha! Yes I agree, old school is a version of KISS...FYI, only what I do and it may not be the best, but I keep my 20 gallon main tank and 6 gallon hot water tank full...tis better to carrying a few more pounds [relative to GVW it is small] than to not have water when needed...I also carry a 3 gallon MSR water bag and a 7 gallon water jug depending on route...but, we are primarily in boondocks and if we get stuck or spend more time than planned on we still have water...old survival sequence: Shelter and then water...food not so much.. :cool: We monitor water in main tank with FWC lights, so far more that adequate.

Back
Top Bottom