Beware of scam to capture your cell #

Ronin

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum or not, so please let me know. There is a scam to capture your cell phone # via Google Voice. If you publish your # on Craigslist or Job search websites or anywhere else, scammers will text you to let you know they want to talk to you and would it be alright if they call. They will proceed to send you a text letting you know they're calling from a # that will require you to accept the call and enter their 2 digit code. Do not do this!! What they're doing is setting up a Google Voice account using your cell # . Setting up Google Voice requires a person(scammer) to enter a valid phone# (yours) and Google will call you from a Washington DC #( the # the scammer says they're calling you from) and prompt you to enter the 2 digits to verify and finalize setting up the bogus GV account using your cell #. The scammers can then use your # as the # to call for their scams but the call gets forwarded to them and you'll never know it's happening until they stop forwarding and the calls will come directly to you.

Again,sorry if this isn't the proper place to post this.

Thanks for this, I have gotten a similar call and fortunately hung up. I use craigslist a lot, I get everything from scams to stoned teenagers prank calling me. I finally got my own Google Voice number that is disposable when too many weirdos get ahold of it.

Back
Top Bottom