BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO ➙➙ KO2?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Yes, another tire thread, but this one is specific to the latest version of BFG All-Terrain T/A: the KO2.

Have any of you BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO runners -- and I know there are a lot of us here -- bought a set of this new version yet?

Even though my current ones aren't quite worn out yet, I've decided to replace them before a several-thousand-mile trip which will include some rough remote roads.

And in looking at the website for the dealer where I bought the previous set, I see that the KO has been replaced by the KO2.

BFG claims it's "improved" towards better durability -- sidewalls (I sure hope so...) as well as tread-wear on gravel.
Reviews seem good.

??

I bought the KO2s a couple of months ago. Because they are a new product, I can't say anything about tread life yet. The ride is very much like the old KO. The sidewalls are supposed to be a little more robust, with a better transition from tread to sidewall, but I haven't tested that aspect. FWIW, the KO2s cost me a little less than the KOs I bought in 2008 (or was it 2007?). They do seem to clear mud from the tread a little better (but just a little). I have no complaints so far. My guess is, if you were happy with the KO, you will probably be happy with the KO2.

I'll definitely consider them. I was thinking maybe of giving the Coopers a shot next but after hearing complaints of "they pull right" (which I've already gone through) maybe I'll stick with the BFG's. My truck seems to like them. Fortunately though I have a couple more years to go.

Mark,
I pulled the trigger on a pair in early November when they were released and have no complaints thus far. I've spent a few days aired down crawling over large, sharp rocks up Hanaupah and Trail canyons in DV followed by a week in Baja, and a handful of local weekend mountain trips too and feel they've been put to task fairly well. Happy to report there is not a single chunk or chip out of the sidewall lugs after some fairly long sharp rock and gravel roads, the tires still look (and smell) new in fact.

No noticeable difference in highway performance as HighZ says.Time will tell on tread wear. I also paid significantly less for this pair than my previous pair which was quite nice. Have not yet had them in sloppy mud, snow (sigh) or deep sand so no comment there.

I will admit to my bias to BFG as I drank the koolaide a long time ago, but thats only due to flawless performance in some pretty tough conditions. I seriously doubt their new product would be inferior in any way. I'd say go for it.

Also, If your current tires aren't shot yet and you are so inclined, I guarantee you can flip em on Craigslist easily and offset your cost even more.

Thanks highz and SunMan for the input. :)

I'll probably get a set of these. I know there are other brands/models that others like -- but there are other threads to discuss that route. ;)

I like the idea of the toughened sidewalls and more wear-resistant tread. My only personal experience with BFG A/T radials was with work trucks in Mississippi way back when they came out with the AT radials, a radical concept for the late 1970s. The tread design, to my untrained eye, has remained fairly constant through the decades and the KO2s look like it continues to be similar. Our beef with the BFGs was a total lack of self-cleaning tread. They'd pack up with mud immediately and would become 4 glazed doughnuts. I don't know if any nuances in tread design since then has made them more self-cleaning in mud, but maybe so.

Then again, desert rats aren't often concerned with mud.

Foy

Yeah - dirty snow. They have added thin "mud buster bars" to the outer edges of the tread pattern that is supposed to help loosen mud so it ejects better. It seems to help a little, although mud still collects in the interlocking treads.

Foy said:
Our beef with the BFGs was a total lack of self-cleaning tread. They'd pack up with mud immediately and would become 4 glazed doughnuts.

Foy
I would not disagree with ths statement.

HAPPINESS is a new set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 ! :)

New%20Tires%202-2.jpg

New%20Tires%201-2.jpg

The tires are so glossy/shiny that it makes me wonder if they apply tire dressing to make the "new tire experience" more exciting and satisfying for the buyer. :unsure:

New%20Tires%201-2.jpg

I'll have to apply some high desert dirt to get them looking "normal" before I go on a trip. :D

(like in that scene from The Philadelphia Story where Tracy Lord knocks her fiance to the ground and throws dirt on his brand new horse-riding togs so he doesn't look like such a newbie-geek)

Wanted to bump this back up and looking for any updates. Looking to replace my stock Continentals with these.

Back
Top Bottom