Big Bend Ranch State Park Trip

Blindhog

Found about this site on Truck Camper magazine and I really enjoy your adventures. I'm from Austin Texas and I travel with an 06 F250 PS with an Outfitter Apex 8. I enjoy traveling in Texas and out west looking for backroad fun.
This is my first post so if I screw the pooch, be kind. Here in Texas we don't have the luxury of BLM lands but we do have an excellent state park system. Most people have heard of Big Bend National Park, but they may not know about Big Bend Ranch State Park. This 300K+ acre park is situated just west of the national park and is very primative country. It was a working ranch until it was donated to the state. The website has more info on history and features - Big Bend Ranch SP

That's the Rio Grande below

P1050046.jpg

This is the entrance to the park. It was apx. 35 miles to the headquarters.

P1050056.jpg

The roads into and out of the park are maintained to a fair state. Some pot holes and washboards but easily passable.

P1050060.jpg

Rugged country but possessing a stark beauty

P1050062.jpg

The roads to the campsite are another story. You need 4x4 to reach them and be able to get out. It was pretty rocky and steep to the site we stayed at. We traveled when the park was still being developed for the public. By developed, I mean designating a spot on the ground as a "campsite". The rangers were in the process of mapping the park using backpack GPS units to get a map so they could locate campsite. The intent is to keep the park in a primative state without improvements.

P1050141.jpg

P1050149.jpg

We drove by BBSP on our way home from the NP and wondered if it might not be quite as civilized. In the NP we can't take our dog on the trails, even on a leash. Cottonwood campground is way too crowded and accessible for our tastes. The back country sites are nice, but generators are not allowed. What would take Blindhog be on these restrictions and how they would apply at the SP? We've been to the NP twice now and probably won't go back for those reasons. We used to drive to the Baja, but that's just a mess down there now.

Thanks

Thanks for the photos Blindhog. I was in BBNP five years ago and noticed the SP on my drive to the west along the Rio Grande. I didn't have time to explore then but next time I will wander in.

Stew

Thanks for the kind words.
Carlyle, our dogs are the reason we ended up at BBRSP in lieu of BBNP. They can go on trails and be with you in the park. To be accurate, they are supposed to be on a leash at all times, but the park is very isolated so we used our judgement. NP with the rangers as they are glad to have visitors come to the park. The location is such that you have to want to go there as it IS remote. Very dissappointed in the dog policy at the NP, but understandable due to irresponsible owners.

Thanks for the report hog. I'd really like to get down to that area but it's just so far away........

Great Trip Report and photos!!!! Very unique country!!!

I've heard that there is little Public Land in Texas so this park is a real gem for the State!!!

Thanks for sharing!! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom