Big Sur and the search for Sunman's secret camping spot.

Thanks Bill that was a great trip report, very nice photos (my wife says they are not "pictures" - she is the photog of the family). Last time I was in that country was in 1999 on the Kirk Complex Fire and we fired out all the Naciemento Road. Have always wanted to go back and now I have (kind of).

Nice report. Well, I guess its not much of secret any more ;) . Looks like you did a lot of back and forth driving. . It was probably a good call that you guys didn't stay up there. It can get really gusty up there. There are some more protected spots up there though. Did you see anyone else on the trail?

My wife looking at the two pictures below says we might have been at Sunman's spot. Sunman join in and tell us how long ago the picture was taken and what time of the year?

P1120485.jpg

index.php

Note pine tree on left and tree without leaves on right. Was I at the right place??

Better angle in this photo without camper. Damn I wish it would have been clear.
P1120487.jpg

Nice report Bill, looks like you two had a great trip. From your photo it sure looks like you have found it. The photo of mine that you have posted is from March 2010. The spot wasn't technically a spot. There was no table or fire ring. Looking at the tree structure it seems like that is indeed the spot assuming you were facing due north. Were the other regular campsites occupied while you were up there?

SunMan the other regular spots up the hill were all empty. Someone was just pulling out as we pulled in. Talked to 2 dual sport riders who said the views were great if the cloud moved out. There was not a fire ring and it looked like someone had moved the table down there from another site. The small bushes have gotten bigger in 4 years and dry up there this time of year. May have to go back in Feb or March.

Where the camp was in pic below.
gallery_1903_757_154765.jpg

That's the spot. Was the old dead tree (to the left) still there?

Attachments

• IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 80
SunMan said:
That's the spot. Was the old dead tree (to the left) still there?
Thanks, my quest to find your spot was a success. I do not remember seeing the dead tree. This is where they should have the non-denominational camper rally.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom