Big Sur HWY 1 Closed

super doody

Wow, makes me wonder how many secondary and National Forest roads will just be closed for lack of funds to repair. When this weather lets up there will be more damage to be found, pretty sure of that.

Not a good year for any roads in CA.

1024x1024.jpg

920x920.jpg

If that was Idaho, it'd take them 2+ years to replace it regardless if it was the only bridge into town or not. :)
It does make you wonder (or not) when you cross those bridges across large spans though.

From CalTran's QuickMap app, it appears that the Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge is closed for all of 2017. But the rest of it is expected to be open by March 20, which means that the Nacimiento Pass Road should provide "easy" access to Hwy 1 south of Pfeiffer.

Northbound / Southbound 1 Full Closure
At Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (Post Mile 45.5)
Due to Bridge Work
Expected to end at 6:01pm Dec 31, 2017

At Paul's Slide (Post Mile 21.60)
Due to Slide Removal
Expected to end at 6:01pm Mar 20, 2017

At Salmon Creek (Post Mile 3.50)
Due to Slide Removal

At Ragged Point Inn (Post Mile 72.9)
Due to Slide Removal

Last updated: 03/12/2017 8:14AM

Classic case of OSHA type rules making the work not only more difficult but sometimes also more dangerous. It's the unanticipated ripple of new ideas/rules/methods/system(s) that always bite you.Likely no one asked the guys who actually use the equipment if this was a good idea, and any sort of built-in by-pass is automatically assumed will be abused. Probably rightly so, but never the less it sure bit this time. Now they're going to have to disable the system, if they can, just to do work that should have been easy.

My guess is one "slippage" with catastrophic consequences drove that likely hasty implementation.

I don't know why they just "blow up" the bridge.
Or at least use one of those huge jackhammer machines
and the thing will come down to where they want it.

Oh well it's someone else who has to do the work.
But all this delay just lengthens the finish date.
Frank

Yes they have made some good progress. Not sure how they will take down "section 3"the south side,can't reach that far and can't bring a machine up from the south yet.
It's very interesting to watch the reports.
Frank

I'd say that's a classic "slump", right out of a geomorphology textbook. Geology in action!

Back
Top Bottom