Bike & 'yak mount

Thanks. I guess this system's not going to work out. Maybe I'll look into one of those Yakima Swing Daddys. Too bad. I really did like the simplicity and light weight of the fork hangers.

Lighthawk said:
Good points, kmacafee. But I doubt a few hours would cause shock seals to give up the ghost.
Typically, I mount up the bikes for a trip. Then upon arrival, take them down for riding.

But, if I was on a long term tour, I might very well consider the effect of mounting the shocks horizontally while using a bike tight mount on the rear of the camper.
You are correct that a few hours would not matter. But if the road was rough and the bikes bounced around a lot (which they will), it would drastically speed up the seal deterioration.

And then there's this. Great built-in 'flex' cradling support to handle 4WD 'roads', and no undue stresses on the front fork. For single-bike apps only; it's not for everyone but has been a great solution for me.

Attachments

• single_bike_mount.jpg
    single_bike_mount.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 436
RicoV said:
And then there's this. Great built-in 'flex' cradling support to handle 4WD 'roads', and no undue stresses on the front fork. For single-bike apps only; it's not for everyone but has been a great solution for me.
I was just wondering if something like this would work. How does it fare on rough roads/off-road?

Just came across your Oct '16 post ETAV8R, so sorry I'm late to reply. My little custom fabricated bike rack works, in a word, 'fabulously' on rough roads. Those challenging kinds of up-down stresses are absorbed within the mounts and bungees, and the forks are in their normal position so no worries about fluid leakage. For me as a solo rider it's been the answer I was seeking a few years back for our camper setup, but have some doubts as to whether it could work for anything more than one bike?

I am very intrigued by the original poster's bike carrying system. However, I have the larger three way fridge and it extends right to the roof (when in the down/travelling position) which limits access to the space where one would want to mount a fork mount on the left (driver) side of the camper. Anyone else encounter/solve this problem?

Back
Top Bottom