blankets or sleeping bag?

DonC

which do you use?

I was a dirt bag climber for 40 years and simply being in a camper is luxury, so I'm still in a sleeping bag. But at least I can use a comfy rectangular bag which is far better than a tight mummy bag needed for warmth outside.

We use rectangular bags unless it's really cold. Then the down mummies come out of the closet. It's too much trouble (for us) to use sheets and blankets. In hot weather, we're on top of the bag with a sheet over the top.

sheets and comforter is the standard. Also have a rectangular bag and more synthetic and down bags of various weights than I care to think about so what I bring varies from trip to trip

We use fleece...sheets (fitted and flat), pillow cases and a fleece blanket. Fleece is incredibly warm and lite. When the nights are very cold, we throw a rectangular style sleeping bag (as a comforter) on top. Works very well. We use Full/Queen size sheets/blanket due to the fact we don't slide the bed out, therefore we have plenty of coverage.

We use a double sleeping bag that is nearly the size of the queen bed. If its really cold another blanket is pulled inside. Of note, I have an older camper with the smaller cab over so I can't leave the bedding on the bed with the top down.

3 comforters one on bottom and 2 on top, they stay in place when the top comes down. I tried a double sleeping bag but it weighs a ton and is very hard to deal with taking it on and off because it is to bulky to leave in place when the roof is lowered.

Wife and I use a North Face Dolomite double sleeping bag (got it for $99 on sale at REI) and carry a down comforter for really cold nights. We find it's kind of a PITA to make the bed when using sheets/blankets. Sleeping bag is easy.

Dolomite 3 season for us, also. Same REI sale, I guess. Light weight & very warm, Have a fleece blanket to throw on top if needed.

Paul

I have an easy to wash zip up fleece liner inside a down/polyester bag. Also a down over bag for furnace won't light, generator won't start winter time emergencies.

Travasak with removable sheets. Pretty sure that company is gone, but others exist. Like a sleeping bag with sheets, winter side and summer side. Stays in place all the time. Been using this one since 2007, on it's second camper.

DesertDave said:
Travasak with removable sheets. Pretty sure that company is gone, but others exist. Like a sleeping bag with sheets, winter side and summer side. Stays in place all the time. Been using this one since 2007, on it's second camper.
Travasak is still going strong. Just google. A lot of folks in our boating group (CDory) use them.

Aside: when I typed in Travasak on the iPad, autocorrect returned 'Tea ask'. Gotta love the predictive features...

DesertDave said:
We use a copy of this that was sold by west marine. Simple, easy product. We have made three additional sets of removable sheets out of flannel and fleece, nice and warm and comfortable. These are easy to pull out and wash. Winter and summer side is nice so the same product works year round. We have a polyester fill quilt for when it gets cold. We do not use the furnace at night.

RVSuperbag is marketing a similar product.

Retired mountaineer. Use blankets in the camper: layers of fleece for temps above 35°, add grandma's wool quilt for below 35°, take my -20° down mummy for really cold (don't ever want to camp in those temps again).
Sleeping bags are impossible with a beagle constantly trying to worm his way in and wiggling around.

117767.jpg

I use Cabellas Magnum 44 bag $239.99. 44" X 90"
I live in Canada. It's is awesome.
I don't use the fleece liner. It's warm enough without it. Too warm for many of you. I find it comfortable to regulate the warmth with the zipper.

The thing I like about it in the FWC is it is the same size as the cabover bed when the bed is not extended to a queen. I don't have to ever have to make the bed, nor do I have to remove it to lower the roof. It just stays planted. I place it so the zipper side is towards the back door so it's easy to get in and out of.

BTW. I have absolutely hated sleeping bags until I used this bag. Although its designed for one big person, it is so roomy two small adults could practically sleep in it zipped up. Your feet don't feel constricted either. That was the biggest thing I disliked about sleeping bags in the past.

This would be a great bag for you 100acrehump. It's huge.

Back
Top Bottom