Bleeding the hydraulic system

mrmtbaldy

I am a new owner to a 10' non cabover Alaskan, and I am almost certain I have air in my hydraulic system. The pump on the jack is really soft until the last 1/2 inch or so and only then does it raise the rams at all. I have looked for bleeder fittings but I can't find any. Does anyone know of the proper or any way to bleed these systems of air?

If it won't pump up till the bottom of the stroke the pump system it is probably low on fluid. I'll apologize in advance if your aware, but there are owners manuals posted on here somewhere for various Alaskan vintages.
Try the link below. It talks about re-fluiding and bleeding an Alaskan system.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3741/

Hope it helps

Mike

My hydraulic has this problem. Maybe you can tell me why and what to do about it.

The front rises and will come down only if weight is applied to the top. The back is not moving unless weight is applied to the front. Need two guys to rais or lower it. Any idea';s.

thanks

dkoug

I realize this this post is fairly old but I had a revelation the other day with my hand pump that really helps with the softness on the downstroke. Figured I would share for others with the same problem.

As mentioned above, first and foremost, the fluid level must be topped off or else air will get sucked into the pump and the top won't be going anywhere. I had a bad O-ring on my pump which caused the thing to leak with every downstroke and I have a feeling Ill be cleaning it up for a while yet! After replacing the O-ring, I lifted the top without sufficient fluid so midway up, I added more fluid and the stroke was still very soft although I was able to get the top up after pumping 50+ more times. After dropping the top, I began pumping and the result was pretty solid, but still a bit soft. I thought through the pumping mechanism and realized that the "cheater bar" hits the floor before the pump maxes out in the downward stroke. If there is air in the "pumping cylinder," It will remain there until the pump is completely maxed out to purge the air then draw in hydraulic oil on the upstroke. What I did to purge the air is put the lever in the position to lower the camper, then, without the cheater bar, give the pump a few strokes making sure to push it all of the way down and pull all of the way up again. Finally, I switched the knob to the raise position and began pumping. Immediately, the full stroke is solid all of the way to the top.

I replaced all of the O-rings and seals on my pump twice and it resulted in no leaking but weak pumping action. I think having air in the cylinder was my problem and may help others with the same problem. We were looking at replacing the pump entirely, but now it works good as new.

I hope this helps other Alaskan owners out there! Cheers!

How old are these Alaskans with hydraulic issues? Is this something a new owner would have to deal with in the first years of ownership or are they normally good for 10 years or more?

Thanks

Many of the older Alaskans do not have the valves at the base of the cylinders used for balancing the pressure...and many have seen alot of use...the hydraulics will have minor issues when they get older...debris or air in the system, failing o-rings etc...nothing that can't be taken care of with a little patience and a few instructions like on the sticky threads. I've been avoiding doing anything major on mine except o-rings...and it's been over 40 years on the same fluid....

we get the questions about the problems...not to be extrapolated to all Alaskans....but good info to be sure

Still having issues, but scored another whole hydraulic assembly. found a similar pump with a "male" shaft and can use my power drill to raise the Alaskan. The back goes up far more slowly than the front. I actually have to turn the front control valve all the way off to raise the front. I could be as simple as o rings for the rams. My original pump (not motor) had a squished o ring but turns out it was fine though from 1989. I blew it and misdiagnosed before I took the "guts" out. the button switch had burned out, had assumed it was the motor. Though I have opened a can of worms, this is a very high quality system. Alaskan has assured me the system is self bleeding (more or less) An annoyance, that may help in diagnostics, is if I bring the top down quickly, which helps it go down evenly hydraulic fluid rushes out the filler point.

i have a Halldon Pump, Hall mfg inc. in my 78 noncab.
Anyone have experience with one of those?
Thanks

great.. mine has, besides the pressure release and outtake, two hex bolts and two flat head screws on the base as well as a hex bolt on top of the cylinder. Which one is the fill hole and what do the others do? Thanks
enk89.jpg

The fill hole on mine( which from what I can see is like yours) is through the plastic cap/ vent on top. Be sure to fill with the roof down!

well, I been filling the wrong hole.
I'm trouble shooting, hoping for an easy fix to raising my roof before I start taking things apart.
Thanks, appreciate the help.

and the pump was almost empty.. I filled it and started pumping, I wanted to see where those pin holes were to lock the top.
As soon as the holes cleared a stream of oil shot a foot from one and on 2 others fluid poured out.
Now I know my pumps good and why it was out of fluid.

holes?....reminds me of a movie ;)

out of the top of the cylinders?....holes in the copper lines?...holes in the fittings?....o-ring failure?

standard pump to many...but not many have as clean a linoleum base...and original lino :D

the campers in pretty good shape, had it 3 days and very happy.
Gonna get a bunch a rags and tinker with the 0-rings

come on......pictures please....when you get the hydraulics to work ;)

if the lino is that good......there's no telling what the rest looks like....

if the cylinders are leaking that bad...you may need help to lift the top...don't try it yourself....

actually 4 or 5 people make it work nicely...one at each corner and one trusting soul inside to pin it up...then you can do the o-rings one at a time....with a 22 1/2" piece of broomstick

so by "lift the top" are you saying the 3/4" tube can slide up and out of the 1" tube thereby revealing the o-ring?
One instruction I read says to "loosen the large nut" at the bottom and slide out that way?

Back
Top Bottom