Bobcat to 2nd gen tundra

nr541

Hey all.
We have a bobcat on a 06 Tacoma and want to switch it over to our new 21 tundra. I got the low down from Marty on what needs to happen but was wondering if anyone on here has done this? If so, any recommendations and tips?
Thx

Check the depth of your truck bed rails and your height of cab for the front overhang. Check that your width will fit between the jacks. You might need to build a box for the camper to sit on and also you might need jack bracket extensions...

I had a FWC Ranger on a gen 1 Tundra and needed jack bracket extensions.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/4135-midsize-camper-into-a-fullsize-bed/?hl=%2Bbobcat+%2Btundra#entry44895

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/23810-widening-rangereagle-jack-stance-for-f-150/?hl=%2Bjack+%2Bextensions#entry272556

I have jack extensions for the front, which Marty said should be fine. Any issues with swapping the electrical? Or was it pretty straight forward?

I'd think electrical would be pretty straight forward except for the possibility the 21 Tundra has a smart alternator. It that case folks smarter than me need to wade in here.

nr541 said:
I have jack extensions for the front, which Marty said should be fine. Any issues with swapping the electrical? Or was it pretty straight forward?
Does your Bobcat have separate charging and light connections? If so, it might be a good time to consolidate them into a single connector. On my Cougar, I had it built with a single line to a 7pin bed connection that I use with my hard side. Monte has a great point about the smart alternator.

Well, the smart alternator is not the end of the world. It does mean that your truck to camper charging will be very weak, if it works at all. The best practice it to upgrade the wiring from the truck alternator back to the camper batteries with much thicker (6 AWG or thicker) wires, add bigger breakers, wiring disconnects, and possibly a DCDC battery charger.

But get the unit first and then figure out how much charging capacity you need. Some folks get by with just solar.

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it. We do have solar on the camper and we do plan to upgrade to lithium so hopefully that helps. But I’ll keep in mind about the smart alternator. I’ll keep you posted on the progress, I think the bobcat will look pretty nice in the bed of a tundra.

I'm using a Renogy DCDC + Solar combo unit (50A) with great success. I mostly charge off of solar but I haven't even come close to running out of battery ever.

Required me running some huge welding cables to the front battery to the bed, but it's been flawless.

starter battery -> huge cables -> DCDC

smart alt circuit (key on) -> small wire -> DCDC

DCDC -> house batteries -> main electrical system switch

I use a downstream EcoFlow for my inverter and only charge it off 4A from the main switch these days, but A big inverter would traditionally go on the house batteries

In theory I should swap the IOTA for a more optimized one but I never have had to plug it in

Finally got the bobcat on the Tundra! And we’re loving the new look. Ended up making a box with 2x4s and plywood. The turnbuckles obviously weren’t long enough and I couldn’t seem to find what I needed at Home Depot. So I got steel caribeaners and eye bolts to help secure. Seems to work well so far but anyone else have any input?

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
for my ocelot, i had atc put 2 100w solar panels on top. those were enough to keep battery topped off, and 12v fridge/freezer running, as well as lights. i never did get around to running elec connections from engine compartment to the camper.

Looks great!

The carabiners should do the trick. I am using eye bolts and carabiners to connect my FastGuns to the TorkLift tie downs. The camper seems very solid and hasn’t moved at all.

Looks great I have a fleet on rcsb.

Attachments

• IMG_7540.jpeg
    IMG_7540.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 19
Finally got the bobcat on the Tundra! And we’re loving the new look. Ended up making a box with 2x4s and plywood. The turnbuckles obviously weren’t long enough and I couldn’t seem to find what I needed at Home Depot. So I got steel caribeaners and eye bolts to help secure. Seems to work well so far but anyone else have any input?
That looks great! I’m a newbie to wander. I have a 2013 tundra crewmax im thinking of try to fit a used bobcat on. Curious what it did to the gas mileage?
Thanks for your time
Steve

Hello
Thank you
Thinking about putting a bobcat on my 2013 tundra crewmax. Wondering what effect it has on the gas mileage.
Thank you for your time
Munz

I have a 1st gen Tundra AC cab Limited 4x4. I don't know what the MPG was before I put the Bobcat on as the truck was used to me.
My driving is mostly paved roads small ones where possible.
My MPG averages around 16 on our trips.
The truck has lots of power and drives well with the Bobcat.
I would give Marty a call at ATC and ask what you need to mount the camper.
I think you will need to place the camper on some sort of maybe 2" platform to clear the deeper truck bed. Yours is maybe 21" deep? The 1st gel is 19" deep so the Bobcat fits perfectly.
Frank

Thanks for the reply. I have the 5.7 ltr. I’m thinking I’ll lose a couple miles per gallon. I’m fine with that. I’m contemplating having Atc build me a new one. The gentleman that has the used one has a first gen tundra as well. I would definitely have to build a platform for it.
Thanks again for the response
Munz

Back
Top Bottom