Bottle jack and air compressor recommendations?

I have a Puma mounted in the 4 runner. I separated the tank from the pump. It has been good over the years. They are 100 % duty cycle and about 46 amps draw. Will be getting a second one for the Dodge truck.

Edit... David I was going to ask where you purchased it but you being in Canada it was not sourced in the USA?

As my vehicle came factory equipped with on board air (Mog), I have never given having air a second thought..For my vehicle there were two choices for air, belt driven and cam driven... Now I know that a cam driven system is very engine specific and probably most will not have this option...but going with a belt driven system is very doable.
A quick googlelator check and I saw more than a few...
Might be something to look into.

G Vavra

Attachments

• extremeflow-compressor-kit.jpeg
    extremeflow-compressor-kit.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 95
^ oh yeah engine driven would be awesome, too bad in a lot of modern engine bays you can't even see daylight :(
---

pvstoy said:
Edit... David I was going to ask where you purchased it but you being in Canada it was not sourced in the USA?
Bought it from Buzzard, direct or thru online shopping sites. Sometimes on sale I think so shop around. Had it shipped to neighbouring WA, then drove down to pick up. Even tho we are one of the "bad guys", Canucks do a lot of cross border shopping. :cautious:

http://www.buzzardgulch.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=108

Having a belt driven under the hood was the first place I looked, but sadly there is no room to mount one. Thanks for the place, Buzzard is who I bought from years ago for mine.

From my days of racing Porsche's and spending a fair amount of time under the cars has taught me to never get under a tire or car that is solely supported by a jack, any jack.

So in my quest to find an overlanding substitute to a floor jack and separate jack stand I came across this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack?cm_vc=-10005

And so far I like it! I was able to change a flat tire on a gravel road that was pretty soggy due to the rain we were experiencing on our trip to Nova Scotia last fall and my rig which grosses over 10,000 pounds was not an issue.

Please don't count on just a jack when you're under your rig!

ntsqd said:
Occurs to me that a picture might be handy.

i-JN4q576-L.jpg
I like your skid plate mod. I usually count on the wheels of my jack sinking into the gravel to give it stability but it looks like you get a nice wide perch.

It slides on pavement surprisingly well too. I wouldn't do this with the home floor jack, but for one that goes with I can't imagine going back to wheels.

I too am installing a Puma in our '88 4rnnr. Tank lives above the stock spare location and the compressor will be hung on the drivers frame rail adjacent to the muffler (with some heat shielding of course).

It might be a good idea for those with a new truck and new camper to try out their jack while at home. See if you can even dismount the spare tire (check tire pressure!) and see if you can loosen the lug nuts on the truck (tire shops don't always use the proper torque setting when mounting the wheels!) and see if you can actually raise one of the rear and one of the front tires enough to change it.

You are basically your own "Pit-Crew" when out there in the boonies!

A rule that I have is that lug nuts are ALWAYS tightened with the tool that I carry to loosen them. If a shop has put the wheels on I break them loose at home and then re-tighten with that vehicle's lug nut tool.

I haven't tried it yet (fortunately haven't needed to) but I've heard you can use a flare to heat them up if all else fails.

MANXMAN, sorry for not replying sooner. In answer to your questions I have the tankless twin and airing up probably takes between 2 and 5 minuets depending on how far I’ve aired down.

veryactivelife said:
MANXMAN, sorry for not replying sooner. In answer to your questions I have the tankless twin and airing up probably takes between 2 and 5 minuets depending on how far I’ve aired down.
No problem.

I ended up getting the ARB twin compressor too but with the tank. I also splurged for the EZ Deflator and Digital Inflator.

Will be airing up and down from 35 all the way to 80 psi so didn't want to spend too much time on the side of the road waiting on a small compressor. This one should get it done fast.

Thanks.

i-Xz69tvX-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom