breaking out_ buying new FWC Eagle

clikrf8

Okay, after a few false starts, more research, phone calls, futile CL, RV Trader, etc. searches, we have decided to buy a new FWC Eagle. With apologies to Gene, the nice couple in Anacortes with the Outfitter Caribou 6.5, and our stupidity in buying a wood framed hard sided camper, our best bet is to buy a new camper. There are 4 aluminum-framed manufacturers that I could find. They all have their good points but we believe that for weight, price, features and delivery date, we have found the best match. And, used ones are hard to find. So, a collective big deep breath and a few finances juggling, we are ready to buy.

I talked with Stan this morning who answered all my questions capably. The Eagle will fit beautifully on our 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. It will bring us closer to where we want to photograph. To catch the best light, we rise early and stay out late. This camper will allow us to sleep during the day rather than return to a motel.

Our option choices are the 4 mechanical jacks wth swing away hinges, solar panel, Fantastic Fan, electric water pump, extra battery, porta potty, and Engle DC to keep our food cold. We are opting for the traditional sofa layout for better storage although we pack pretty light. I am not sure about the heat: propane heater or Wave 3 catalytic.

We chose FWC over ATC because of the seamless one piece roof, rounded front door and earlier delivery. We have a family reunion in late May in Idaho that we want to attend in a camper. Also, being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains and is foggy/overcast we felt the roof and door were a better fit.

So, what do you all think? This will put us back about $15k, a lot of money but life is short and there is a whole world to explore and photograph. Resale value seems to hold if taken care of. Also, one of my favorite photographers, Jack Dyckinga, has an FTW/Tacoma. Sold.

How about the options we chose? We opted not to get the outdoor shower as we can always stay at a campground or motel. Any other ideas?

Also, are there FWC meetups in Washington state? Any FWC owners in Washington state, north of Seattle? Most of our friends are ole fuddy duddies who stay home.

Any other sage advice?

Thank-you very much
Judy

Our website:
www.clikrf8images.com

Our blog:
http://clikrf8.wordpress.com/about/

Cool :D , must be excited. Sounds like you know what you are going to do with it and that seems to be the key to getting the right setup. I'm a wave 3 fan using the on board 20# tank, quiet, steady, efficient, few less pounds as well. I'm not sure what the FWC porta potti is but we use a pop-up porta-loo and poo powder bags which may save weight and maybe space. Enjoy.

Also, are there FWC meetups in Washington state? Any FWC owners in Washington state, north of Seattle? Most of our friends are ole fuddy duddies who stay home.

Congrats.

We've never gotten one together yet but have talked about it a little.

I'm in S. Everett, Yukon is in Mukilteo, davinski is in west seattle, NWCamper just bought a rid and is in Bellingham. Yukon is the only one I've met. I've also see some FWC's in my area while driving but haven't crossed paths with them while stopped. Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone...

Congrats! Your options list sounds good to me. Wish I'd sprung for the solar when I bought my Eagle. With solar, the power consumption of the factory furnace may not be an issue, plus the new furnaces are quieter than what I have in my 2008 Eagle. I know others love thier catalytics, but I think I would personally go for forced-air, given the better furnace FWC is offering. Just my opinion.

I originally had the couch option, then had a dinette conversion done. I found that I didn't lose any storage space at all. However, I don't know how my conversion compares to the current dinette layout. Anyway, I love not having to sit with my back to the window.

Judy,

I'd suggest you still consider a dinette version. You do not lose any storage. You can place a blue Rubbermade box in the space. I would so rather be looking out the window at the view with the dinette, than having my back to the view and be staring at the sink and stove with the couch. What is also a problem with the standard couch configuration is that if someone is working at the sink or stove, you need to throw the table outside to make room!

Outdoor shower? Place a pot of water on the stove, warm it up, pour over head.

Here is a picture of dinette version on an ATC though on a larger Cougar model:

Scroll through the pictures to see the dinette: http://tinyurl.com/4rba5hu

It seems you will be using the camper often! One last thing, and I cringe when I say this because I don't want to cause you any more lost sleep but.....since you are buying a new camper maybe you should just go all the way and get a 3/4 truck. Most of those folks who use their campers a lot end up realizing the 3/4 truck is the way to go. You'll get a larger camper space, no need to do mods to the suspension, chassis, brakes etc. I'd just hate to see you go through the dreaded expense so many of us have gone through of realizing we should have bought full size, sell our trucks and campers and then buy it all over again full size.

Gene

Second or third on the dinette. You don't lose storage, you get to sit and look out the window, and you can be in the camper and out of the way when the other person is fixing a meal, etc. Marty , Don, and Jeff fixed our dinette so the table leg is short enough to fit under the seat so we may have gained some room. Who knew? Sounds like you have a good plan there.

Congratulations, sounds like a well thought out new camper.

Two options worth considering, given your location -

1. Arctic Pack. If you do any winter camping, this would be a bonus, especially if you're undecided on a heating option. But it can be purchased later if you choose and easily installed, so not a big deal at this time.

2. A screen door. For daytime naps to keep that air flowing and the bugs out. Again, not a big thing, but difficult to add later. I find myself wishing for one during daytime siestas.

Regarding the dinette vs. couch, you'll hear a lot of good user feedback from both sides and some strong opinions around here... kinda like republicans vs. democrats :)

I've used both and I prefer the couch. That's me though and how I enjoy using my camper... Regardless of other's opinions, the best way to determine which is best for you two, is to sit in campers equipped with both - couch & a dinette - if possible. You just have to try them on and see what fits.

Again, congratulations!

Fourth on the dinette. I made my own and it is great looking out the window. If you are camping with more than two the bench may be better if not the dinette is the way to go.

Edit agree get the screen door. I had to buy a full door to add to my used Hawk. Sold the old door, so not to expensive if you can do the work yourself.

Pictures of my dinette conversion on this thread: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2212/page__hl__dinette__st__20

Congrats.

We've never gotten one together yet but have talked about it a little.

I'm in S. Everett, Yukon is in Mukilteo, davinski is in west seattle, NWCamper just bought a rid and is in Bellingham. Yukon is the only one I've met. I've also see some FWC's in my area while driving but haven't crossed paths with them while stopped. Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone...

Hi Pods8: we live in south Bellingham. Nice to see that there are others near us who enjoy their FWC. Count us in for a meetup. We will probably be financially ready to order mid March. Stan says about 3 weeks from order date to completion if we order in a few weeks; longer wait if we order closer to prime camping months.

I've had the couch in 2 FWC campers and I'm done with that. Pretty useless as a dining area (table placement is terrible). The couch makes the big window almost irrelevant as the couch obscures it and you sit looking away from it. I did not draw the shades on that window even one time on my last camper.

Dinette for the win :)

I also never used the water heater or outside shower. Wasted money and cabinet space IMO. Quicker and easier to warm up some water on the stove to do dishes. I plan on using a Zodi shower in the future.

Hi Pods8: we live in south Bellingham. Nice to see that there are others near us who enjoy their FWC. Count us in for a meetup. We will probably be financially ready to order mid March. Stan says about 3 weeks from order date to completion if we order in a few weeks; longer wait if we order closer to prime camping months.

Keep your eyes posted, we'll get off our duff sooner or later. :p

You're free to come scope out my camper if you're trying to get a feel for things (keep in mind its a hawk though).

The couch makes the big window almost irrelevant as the couch obscures it and you sit looking away from it. I did not draw the shades on that window even one time on my last camper.

This part is pretty much true with mine too.

Hi all, long time lurker and now a shopper. Hoping to pull the trigger on our own new camper here very soon. I don't mean to hijack the thread but this question pertains to the current topic. I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find a price on the dinette option? Any one out there have the dinette built in at the factory, what's the charge? And can the factory dinette be converted to a bed?

Thanks and sorry for thread drift.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

On getting a newer, bigger truck: just not feasible financially at this time. That is why we turned down the 2005 Caribou 6.5 just 45 minutes away. It required a newer (2nd generation) Tundra to haul due to weight as the unit was loaded with everything. He had a big honkin' 2007 Tundra Super 8 something, crew cab. Waaaay out of our reach. Diference between retired contract refinery worker and a retired commercial pilot. Sweet camper with inverter, electric jacks, CD/radio, solar, extra battery, outdoor shower, 3 way fridge, Tork lock, Fantastic fan, microwave, ladder, racks, heater, etc. for $12,900. He was going to throw in delivery and the small appliances. Someone will get a great deal.

I think those of you favoring the newer dining configuration may be winning. Stan said there was more room between the food prep area and dining area with the new setup. The Rubbermaid bins are a good place to stow camera gear. Do the chairs fold down comfortably for a bed? I would assume it is narrower. It may be where one of us may sleep during the day. We could bring a hammock also. Can you sit upright in the chairs if the pop top is down? Part way, probably. Would it be more comfortable to use for editing images on a laptop? If weather is decent then lawnchairs for outside dining. I see there is a small rectangular storage bin near the bed on passenger side. Thanks for the images.

Not sure about the screen door. We may initially limit our travels to the PNW including warmer summer temps in Eastern Oregon/Washington, Montana and Idaho. Where we live Northwest Washington, air conditioners are rarely needed. If we had to choose: screen door or Fantastic Fan? Isn't there a screen in the door? Also, the window has louvres and the pop up has screens. It would add more weight that we do not need.

No winter camping for us. This is when we hunker down, clean house, work on photos, cut wood, maybe go to someplace warmer. Maybe later; good idea about the wrap but again, extra weight.

Will look into the pop up portaloo. Anything to save weight. And space. We may just use a bucket at first. This something that can be added later. I worked on a fishing boat for 2 summers: bucket worked fine. I was much younger then.

We are still unsure about the heater. If the new ones are quieter and more efficient.... And, there may be some concern about oxygen depletion with the Wave 3?

Thanks to Gene Rubin for suggesting the Engle for keeping our food cold. Simpler, cheaper and Stan said they would install. This sounds like they will work with us to get what we want. I know they don't cutonmize totally but some small changes to basics are welcome.It is better than getting standard icebox only to turn a round and buy the Engle. There are sevral models available. Any favorites? Maybe I need to see what FWC offers.

My husband used to be handy and still is to a certain degree but since he injured his back he is unable to work in cramped areas without pain. He may want to customize a few things. He is a machinist/pipefitter/jack of all trades guy. I saw what someone did adding a USB plug in. Nice.

Hubby is insisting on electric water pump. Is it really necessary? I have seen that the Sure Flows may fail and are hard to repair. Someone also mentioned that a switch would be convenient.

One last concern. I have yet to see a license plate on any FWC image I have seen. Are these types of campers exempt?

The one thing I didn't like is the vinyl covered wood. It is tacky. There must be a light weight alternative. Maybe I can paint it white?

Since we live quite a distance from Woodlawn, if any warranty repairs come up, is FWC easy to work with with a local RV repair place? Where would those of you who live in the Seattle area and north buy RV supplies?

Anything else? There is so much to know and learn. This is exciting and scary at the same time. We will definitely share our photos. We will try not to test our frame too much. Most roads around here have been gated that are any fun to do off roading on. We will probably hang near camping areas or not too far off the beaten track at first.

Thanks so much for your replies and well wishes.

Judy

I don't spend enough time inside to worry about the difference between couch and dinette. Get the furnace. You can always add a wave later but adding the furnace is difficult. My door doesn't have a screen. No matter what you want the fantastic fan.

Another photographer. Popup campers seem to be a natural fit there.

Are you getiting the chest type engel or the new one?

I don't spend enough time inside to worry about the difference between couch and dinette. Get the furnace. You can always add a wave later but adding the furnace is difficult. My door doesn't have a screen. No matter what you want the fantastic fan.

Another photographer. Popup campers seem to be a natural fit there.

Are you getiting the chest type engel or the new one?

Great to meet another photographer/camper. I noticed that some 2011 models will be out in May. But, it would be better if it is built in by FWC to see what model they choose. The front opening model would be more accessible and more amenable for installation where the stock ice box would fit I would guess.

Thanks for the input. Website?

Judy

Not sure about the screen door. We may initially limit our travels to the PNW including warmer summer temps in Eastern Oregon/Washington, Montana and Idaho. Where we live Northwest Washington, air conditioners are rarely needed. If we had to choose: screen door or Fantastic Fan? Isn't there a screen in the door? Also, the window has louvres and the pop up has screens. It would add more weight that we do not need.

Not that we have a lot of bugs but I do like have the screen door, we definately use it. Our camper only has a fixed panel window in the door. Although I consider a fantastic fan a must you can add one later much easier that a screen door if you're debating at the moment between the two.

Hubby is insisting on electric water pump. Is it really necessary? I have seen that the Sure Flows may fail and are hard to repair. Someone also mentioned that a switch would be convenient.

I have this basic shurflo facuet/pump set, it has a build in switch and the pump is easy to change if you mount it in a good place. You can pick this set up for ~$80.
faucet-94-009-21_20_-500px%28ikbvh4%29.jpg

One last concern. I have yet to see a license plate on any FWC image I have seen. Are these types of campers exempt?

Technically no, in WA the regs say if the extended height of the camper is over 50something inches and its setup to sleep in then its supposed to be licensed (thus truck toppers are exempt for instance). That said I don't have a license on mine (I never got a title for it and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to register) and haven't had an issue in 2 years... :rolleyes:

The one thing I didn't like is the vinyl covered wood. It is tacky. There must be a light weight alternative. Maybe I can paint it white?

Since we live quite a distance from Woodlawn, if any warranty repairs come up, is FWC easy to work with with a local RV repair place? Where would those of you who live in the Seattle area and north buy RV supplies?

I think they'll do white vinyl wood, dirtydogs old camper had it.

There are tons of major RV places up and down I5 between you and seattle. There is a camping world in burlington for some supplies. If you're looking for oddball parts I've had good luck with Evergreen RV in shoreline. Also the internet is an easy source for stuff these days.

A water pump is a very nice option. All I did was to install a $25 12v little pump in the H2O line with a switch on the front panel under the sink. Very easy to operate, still control flow with the faucet pump handle. Life is easier/more convenient with running water instead of containers.

Not that we have a lot of bugs but I do like have the screen door, we definately use it. Our camper only has a fixed panel window in the door. Although I consider a fantastic fan a must you can add one later much easier that a screen door if you're debating at the moment between the two.

I have this basic shurflo facuet/pump set, it has a build in switch and the pump is easy to change if you mount it in a good place. You can pick this set up for ~$80.
faucet-94-009-21_20_-500px%28ikbvh4%29.jpg

Technically no, in WA the regs say if the extended height of the camper is over 50something inches and its setup to sleep in then its supposed to be licensed (thus truck toppers are exempt for instance). That said I don't have a license on mine (I never got a title for it and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to register) and haven't had an issue in 2 years... :rolleyes:

I think they'll do white vinyl wood, dirtydogs old camper had it.

There are tons of major RV places up and down I5 between you and seattle. There is a camping world in burlington for some supplies. If you're looking for oddball parts I've had good luck with Evergreen RV in shoreline. Also the internet is an easy source for stuff these days.

Gotta sell the Honda and wait for a class action wage dispute check then we order.

Can't wait. Meanwhile, income tax time so we can get our refund sooner.

Judy

Thank-you Pods8 for your knowledge. Sometimes, we are overwhelmed at what we need to know.

We will probably get the electric pump.

Yeah, keep a low profile about the plates. We will be off freeways and out in the boonies so just may encounter the locals. In this economy, every small town is trying for more revenue.

Camping World in Burlington is about 20 minutes away. And, yes, the internet has become my vendor of choice, especially for photo equipment. Mostly cheaper and free shipping.

A couple more suggestions -

Add a second fantastic fan over the bed especially if you're going to be napping during the day. A little breeze always helps on a warm day.

If your husband has a bad back look into the lift assist springs.

Go with the heater and screen door.

I'm another vote for the dinette set up. I originally had the couch and hated it. I had FWC convert my Hawk to the dinette and love it. You don't lose any storage and you get one more small cabinet.

The outside shower is great for me and I use it a lot. Even if you don't shower.....the hot water tank holds an additional 4 gallons of water....and I'm always running short of water with just a 20 gallon main tank.

Screen door is a must for bugs.....fantastic fan is a must......arctic pack keeps it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I didn't order mine with solar, but have since installed it myself.

And finally....YES....the dinette is much nicer when using a laptop to sort photos!

Back
Top Bottom