breaking out_ buying new FWC Eagle

Hi all, long time lurker and now a shopper. Hoping to pull the trigger on our own new camper here very soon. I don't mean to hijack the thread but this question pertains to the current topic. I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find a price on the dinette option? Any one out there have the dinette built in at the factory, what's the charge? And can the factory dinette be converted to a bed?

Thanks and sorry for thread drift.

Hi LT,
I've sent you an eMail regarding the Dinette option.

I don't have a FWC. :( Maybe someday.

I can't bring any new ideas but I can definitely 2nd the water pump and fantastic fan. Have you ever tried to wash your hands while one of them is pumping water? The water heater would be very nice but not if you're fighting a weight problem.

I would also choose the dinette and the furnace. Of course I winter camp and I think the furnace with fan would do a better job fighting condensation. I know half the hot air goes out the exhaust but that is better than asphyxiation IMHO.

I have the Engel 45 quart chest cooler to replace the dead fridge. It works wonderful. Does take up floor space but I camp solo in the pop up. It is noisier than I expected but not too bad. I have to put a towel over the "on" light as it illuminates the whole camper. I do miss the ability to make ice cubes.

The only other thing I can say is Lucky Dog, Lucky Dog, Lucky Dog!!!! :cool:

The only option I wish I would have passed on is the hot water heater/shower. To date....after 2.5 years we're never even lit the thing.

We went for the white walls. Not sure if that is an option now, but it minimized the photocopied "wood" aspect in the camper quite a bit.

Had the couch. My son "slept" on it one night and said it was very uncomfortable. After that we took the couch back off and bought additional 2.5 inch thick foam that raises up the bed so you take advantage full width of the area, including the carpeted "shelf" by the window. Now, rather than this bed being 2 different types of foam with a ridge running down the middle of it and only being 2 ft wide we have a 3 ft+ wide x 77" long bed that is much more comfortable. Easily wide enough for 2 people to nap on during the day

The Dinette is too cramped for a guy like me @ well over 6 ft. and we just don't do the sit down/prep alot/cook a feast kinda meals when we're out on the road. I'm sure the bed is >as< comfortable as the couch bed tooo...cus with it being in sections there's gonna be ridges and lumps, no doubt. Ouch.

Others here complain about the noise of the heater but I'm one of theose guys who sleeps with a fan running in the room at all times....so the noise is welcome here. In the Summer I click on the refrig fan at night. Not familair with the Wave heater but if it isn't permanently installed I would think it would be a pain to find a good place for it to reside. Ya sure won't have any counter space...LOL.

2 Fantastic Fans are nice. If you only get one...I would suggest upgrading to the 6600 with the remote. The lower settings will work well for you in the PNW for fighting condensation. On the regular fan (4400?) "low" is a bit fast/noisy if you just want to move a LITTLE bit of air.

I like my fridg but the Engel would be nice. Not worth the expense to change it out while the fridg still works though.

The lift assembly might be a good option for yer hubby's bad back. I have a bad back myself...along with a trashed neck....and it is a bit tough @ times to raise the top. I opted out on the shocks myself..again...due to the climate here. We go through these shocks like crazy on the wife's Snug top. I think i'm on my 3rd or 4th set in 9 years. In the end I figure if my back is so trashed I can't lift the top I shouldn't be out and about camping anyway.

Look into timbrens for yer 'yota. My wife has a 2002 4-door we use as the work truck/haul firewood/etc and the Timbrens make it rock soild with a load. Have em on the Tundra with the Hawk too. Here in snow country it's a far better option than the airbags that will constantly be packed with ice/snow and mag chloride over 1/2 the year and that could easily require maintenance @ some point and can fail on the trail via bolts falling out/etc.

lastly....have fun! An FWC will definetely broaden your camping horizons!

happy trails!

mtn

I don't know how FWC does the dinette, but the way ATC built mine, it is not lumpy and it is level with the ledge in the camper. There is a thread on the dinette in the ATC forum as well as one from DLN in the FWC forum.

On the Four Wheel Campers there is no cost difference for the 2 different couch styles available.

Either the original roll over style couch, or the new dinette couch are included in the base price of the campers.

The only time we charge for the couch is if you are only ordering one of the very basic "empty shell models" and then adding some things to it.

If you are going with a normal camper, the couch or dinette will be included in the base price.

On all of our campers that we install the new dinette in, we are building the seat cushions flush with the carpeted side step of the camper. This makes it much more comfortable to sleep on and gives you more wiggle room. It also gives you a few extra inches of storage under the couch.

And yes, the new dinette converts in to a small single bed.

(see pictures below) - sorry for the washed out photos. The sun was not working well with me this AM. I can get better pics for you if you want them?

I had always wondered how comfortable it would be since it is so small. But I drove our truck and trailer and 3 campers up to Portland on Sunday Night / Monday and slept a few hours at a rest stop on Sunday night in the Grandby Model with the new dinette set up. I left the camper top down and just closed the curtains (stealth mode). I was surprised how well I slept. I put a small blanket down on the cushions for a little extra padding, and used a blanket to stay warm. The only time I woke up was when I big semi truck pulled in next to me. Maybe I slept so well since I was worn out. It sure beat trying to sleep in the truck cab !

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find a price on the dinette option? Any one out there have the dinette built in at the factory, what's the charge? And can the factory dinette be converted to a bed?

Attachments

• P1010050.JPG
    P1010050.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 270
  • P1010051.JPG
    P1010051.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 318
  • P1010052.JPG
    P1010052.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 334
  • P1010053.JPG
    P1010053.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 340
  • P1010054.JPG
    P1010054.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 286
Great to meet another photographer/camper. I noticed that some 2011 models will be out in May. But, it would be better if it is built in by FWC to see what model they choose. The front opening model would be more accessible and more amenable for installation where the stock ice box would fit I would guess.

Thanks for the input. Website?

Judy

Omg, not me! I use a point and shoot, poorly. I was referring to the rest of gang here.

First of all, I would like to thank each one of you for contributing to our better understanding of the FWC Eagle. This will be a major investment for us but believe that the dividends will accumulate in more adventure and photography.

I am compiling a cheat sheet of comments posted here and throughout the FWC forum. I now have a clearer idea of what options we want installed when ordered and which to buy later. So, if you see me lurking on this site, it is because all of you have some brilliant ideas. Also, it is refreshing that a rep of FWC regularly frequents this forum for input and ideas.

We hope to put our order in by mid March. We are so excited to begin our adventure and new phase of life: retirement.

Judy

http://www.clikrf8images.com/

... So, if you see me lurking on this site, it is because all of you have some brilliant ideas. Also, it is refreshing that a rep of FWC regularly frequents this forum for input and ideas. ...

http://www.clikrf8images.com/

I certainly hope you will do more than just lurk :) I'm looking forward to future trip reports with pictures!

Hope all goes well with your purchase.

I certainly hope you will do more than just lurk :) I'm looking forward to future trip reports with pictures!

Hope all goes well with your purchase.

x2

Judy,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on going forward with your camper purchase.

A lot of people are pushing for the dinette. We were recently at a show where FWC had several campers on display. One thing we noticed about the dinette was that it seemed to block the door entry. I know on our couch, the seats sticks out into the doorway 2-3 inches. This makes it difficult to pack large boxes (ice chest, firewood, etc) into the camper. It seemed like it stuck out even more on the dinette. For those of you with the dinette, has this been a problem? Perhaps Stan can take some more photos showing the entry to an Eagle with each set-up for comparison.

You mention not needing the heater because you don't winter camp. Perhaps with the heater you would camp year round. Some great photography weather in the colder months. I recommend getting the built in if you do opt for one.

I also recommend the screen door. Not a significant cost increase. There have been a number of threads about what options would people get again or skip, and nobody has regretted getting the screen door.

There does seem to be quite a few photographers with these campers, professional and hobbyists. If you have not already seen posts by Kodachrome, look them up. He uses his camper a lot for his work and has done a thorough review. That and his project may interest you.

Please do hang arounds and share your experiences on the forum. We love looking at other member's photos and learning about places to see. Happy camping.

Ted

here are some pictures of the dinette in a smaller sized camper . . .

Attachments

• P1010052.JPG
    P1010052.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 279
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 299
I'm going to have to agree with Ted about the dinette. I checked out both the dinette and couch at the show in Denver and I am going to go with the couch. I'm 6'4" and the dinette was just too cramped and awkward for me. Also if your stealth camping with the top down the dinette bed is much smaller than the couch set up and to my eye it looked like I would loose a lot of storage. Everything is a trade off and your needs may differ.

I would also vote for the factory furnace. Even in the middle of summer those mornings can be cold at altitude here in the Rockies.

I think you will love your new FWC, my old Grandby served me well for over 20 years with only a few issues. The last thing I would say is to watch your weight, it can add up fast on a 1/2 ton truck.

Please keep us updated on your decisions and good luck.

Thank-you all for your input. All your replies were very helpful. Over the weekend I read most of the posts in this forum and have a list of questions for Stan on Tuesday (to allow him to recuperate from Portland).

Should i start a new thread with this info or continue in this one? At this point we are considering the Finch also.

Judy

Thank-you all for your input. All your replies were very helpful. Over the weekend I read most of the posts in this forum and have a list of questions for Stan on Tuesday (to allow him to recuperate from Portland).

Should i start a new thread with this info or continue in this one? At this point we are considering the Finch also.

Judy

Hi Judy. Frank here. Might I add some opinions .I have a ATC bobcat with the dinette though they are not for everyone we find ours useful. My wife is short and I'am 5'8" a lot of things work for us.Are you getting the" extenda bed" cabover? It's extra with the FWC but if you are our size it makes a nice size bed and the extra cushions to make the bed larger are not needed so you can leave them at home and not take up space in the camper.General things like heater and camper battery power seem to be very useful.Also its a lot easier to pop up with the helper shocks,either inside or out, they save the back. Especially if you carry anything on top.These pop ups are great either brand. The FWC guys will answer all your questions. Check out the different models while you are there.

Frank

Hi Judy. Frank here. Might I add some opinions .I have a ATC bobcat with the dinette though they are not for everyone we find ours useful. My wife is short and I'am 5'8" a lot of things work for us.Are you getting the" extenda bed" cabover? It's extra with the FWC but if you are our size it makes a nice size bed and the extra cushions to make the bed larger are not needed so you can leave them at home and not take up space in the camper.General things like heater and camper battery power seem to be very useful.Also its a lot easier to pop up with the helper shocks,either inside or out, they save the back. Especially if you carry anything on top.These pop ups are great either brand. The FWC guys will answer all your questions. Check out the different models while you are there.

Frank

Hi Frank,
We are somewhat taller, probably bigger, also. There are so many questions I have for Stan. We are looking at Finch, also. Our bed is 73" long inside, a guess as we have a liner. Finch would tuck nicely inside; Eagle would hang over 5". So many worthwile options to order, but we have a $15k cap: heater, Fantastic fan, solar, extra battery, jack brackets are musts. Add delivery, installation and we are pushing it. Not only watching price, but watching weight.

Awning would be nice as would assist with raising pop up, screen door, electric water pump, usb connection for mp3 player and speakers for music, also. We will opt for the extended bed as we are taller and like our space. Probably the sofa for more room for one of us to nap (probably hubby who likes his siestas) and more storage. We will get 2 twin memory foam matresses and use one in the cab bed and another in both places. Jacks would come later as we plan to travel during midweek during the season. Top of the list will go to options that would be best as factory installed such solar (so as to not void roof warranty), screen door, heater, pop up assist, Fantastic fan.

Will keep you up to date.

This a major purchase for us. We have camped in a tent but have never had a camper. Getting older and all that.

When deciding between a Finch or an Eagle....you might want to consider this....since your truck is a 1999.....and in the future you will probably be updating it.....you might like getting the larger Eagle model. If you get just the camper that's ideal for your present truck....then you might have to update the camper AND the truck at the same time in the future.

When I bought my 2008 Hawk....I had a 2000 Tundra. Stan asked me at the time if I wanted to have the Hawk built specifically for the 2000 Tundra so it would fit like a glove. I considered it but knew if I updated my truck....it would cost so much that I wouldn't want to buy a new camper at the same time.

So, with an eye towards the future....I had the Hawk built to standard specifications.

Low and behold a couple of years down the road I upgraded the truck to a Ford F250. I'm sure glad the camper fit it nicely (with a slight modification) and I didn't have to upgrade the camper at the same time. Trucks and campers are much too expensive to be buying all the time.

I have a Bobcat with a Dinette.....A few observations. We travel as 3, My wife (5'5"), My son (4'2"), and myself (6'2"). We have done several extended (4+ week) trips in our Bobcat and would never trade in the dinette. You don't always have to have the table set up...in fact we travel most of the time with the Dinette made up as a bed. My Son likes to hang out at the Dinette and read or play games while my wife is prepping food or what not. Usually I'm outside getting firewood etc. My son sleeps on it every night and loves it. I have slept on it numerous times and its just fine. You don't lose any storage with the Dinette and you actually get to utilize the large window on the passenger side. If you decide to not get the Dinette save your money and get rid of the passenger side window; actually come to think of it you might not be able to because its the emergency exit....not sure about the rules with regards to that. I just don't see the point of sitting a the couch and staring at the cabinets.

The one downside of the dinette is that it does stick out into the doorway a bit. This is not really a problem with the ATC because you can tell them to make it narrower to suite your needs. I don't believe FWC can do this because of their folding seat setup (Stan correct me if I am wrong here).

My two cents,

Cort

I agree with leadsled that you should go with the Eagle. Those few inches hanging off the bed are really not a problem. Here's how it looks on a Ranger with a similar bed.

profile_small.jpg

I'm curious about the USB port. That is an option with FWC now? It wasn't in 2008 (I think). I just use something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co...97653509&sr=8-1

Which is a pretty inexpensive add-on.

I have an awning. I like it, I use it, but not as much as I thought I would. If I had to choose between the awning and a screen door, I would personally go for the screen door. I use that a lot more. There are threads on this site for home-built awnings, and if you went that route, you could save a lot.

The roof lift assist is high on my list of improvements. Since bad backs are an issue, I agree it is a must-have.

Back
Top Bottom