breaking out_ buying new FWC Eagle

Hubby definitely wants the Eagle. For the same price: more camper. You are right: extra room for a little hang over is worth it.

And, thanks for info about the dinette/sofa. More info: more informed decision, I hope or more confusion. More lists for + and -.

No, FWC doesn't have USB option but I saw it added on a diy on this forum. Thanks for the link. It should work. We like our music.

Rethinking awning: weight issue and more cost. May just find a tree.

Lift assist seems to little weight and will help with hubby's back. The Outfitters Caribou 6.5 featured a crank system. With the Fantastic fan, it set up quickly.

Screen door for sure. Not that much extra money and as you all said, hard to add later. Fresh air for east of the Cascades. And, for that one day when it gets above 90 here.

Heater for sure. New ones are quieter and we don't want to risk CO overdose. Also, it has a place and we won't have to hang it or find room for it.

And, I am still confused about the power for charging our camera, phone and laptop batteries. We are ordering the additional battery system with separator and the 85 watt solar panel with controller. What else do we need? How do we do this? I do not understand power stuff, right brainer all the way.

Just need to decide on dinette vs sofa and how to keep our food cold: (ice box vs 3 way fridge vs Engle or similar.

What we are looking for is a sturdy, simple, comfortable camper that we can depend on. Getting as close as we can to somewhat remote photography locations is a big plus. No more driving in the dark.

FWC/ATC community seems to have the most helpful people. Thanks. Hopefully, I will be able to help others. Still going through posts. Didn't help that we had a power outage last night.

No, FWC doesn't have USB option but I saw it added on a diy on this forum. Thanks for the link. It should work. We like our music.

I added a usb port to the monitor panel (and a volt meter)...see pic. It cha.rges my mp3 player which feeds the stereo.

Attachments

• USB_port.JPG
    USB_port.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 199
If you go with an Engel, and want to charge laptops, and don't plan on driving to recharge, will 85w of solar be adequate? I don't know, same electrical brain as yours. The price of panels is dropping, at Solar Blvd they have 120w for just over $300.

I added a usb port to the monitor panel (and a volt meter)...see pic. It cha.rges my mp3 player which feeds the stereo.

Good idea now that I have the kindle, gps and god knows what else that uses usb. You have a wiring diagram for that?

Good call on going to the eagle, a finch I think would make you unhappy in the long run.

Also a good call on passing on the awning in my mind. Easy enough to add later if you want and honestly I've deployed my side awning only twice up here in WA. If it was over the door that might be more usable. Also if in places without shade it might be nice. But around here I'm usually not setting up my camp chair right against the truck.

Screen door isn't just for the hot days, its nice to just have the breeze coming through and smelling the fresh air.

Power in = power out. I don't know what your camera, phone, and laptop pull but I'm guessing they aren't huge draws (the furnace will likely pull notably more than those when running). Does your husband understand this stuff more? You basically need to sit down and figure how many amps (or watts converted to amps) that you'll pull over a time span. 1 amp draw for 1 hr = 1 amp hour, do that for 24 hrs and you pulled 24 amp hours. Deep cycle batteries are rated by amp hours, you buy accordingly (usually try to size for only drawing down 50-70% of the battery so a 100amp hour battery you should only plan to use 50-70amps out of).

Solar will help replenish things but I'm not sure what a conservative number will be for the shady/cloudy western WA. Really simply speaking though 85watts/12volts should be about 7amps back in the battery per hour of good sun. However that likely won't happen here so derate accordingly (sorry I don't have solar to give you any personal feedback on this area).

If you go with an engle remember that will be a constant battery draw (when turned on) so take it into account in your battery sizing.

With twin batts and 85 watt solar I would definitely go with an Engel or comparable 12v compressor fridge. I can camp for 72 hours on my single Group 31 battery with no solar and running a 45 quart Engel. Also firing up the furnace on chilly mornings. Not to mention lights at night and a 350 watt inverter for my laptop.

If your truck bed liner is the drop in plastic type I would get rid of that thing and replace it with a heavy duty rubber bed mat. Makes for much more secure camper hauling. JMHO :)

Here's a smokin' deal!
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-85-WATT-12-VOLT-SOLAR-PANEL-The-Best-Deal-/110647171859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c315db13

If you go with an Engel, and want to charge laptops, and don't plan on driving to recharge, will 85w of solar be adequate? I don't know, same electrical brain as yours. The price of panels is dropping, at Solar Blvd they have 120w for just over $300.

I bought that exact panel for $222 from Solar Blvd. Maybe they will drop the price some more.

Good idea now that I have the kindle, gps and god knows what else that uses usb. You have a wiring diagram for that?

No diagram for the usb port. I installed a Prowatt 1000 inverter in the camper. One of the features of the Prowatt 1000 is a usb port. I simply bought a usb extension cord and a usb panel mount (with a 3 inch lead) and extended the port to the monitor panel. If I want to remove the monitor panel for some reason all I have to do is unplug the usb at the 3 inch lead.

I agree with leadsled that you should go with the Eagle. Those few inches hanging off the bed are really not a problem. Here's how it looks on a Ranger with a similar bed.

View attachment 11273

I'm curious about the USB port. That is an option with FWC now? It wasn't in 2008 (I think). I just use something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co...97653509&sr=8-1

Which is a pretty inexpensive add-on.

I have an awning. I like it, I use it, but not as much as I thought I would. If I had to choose between the awning and a screen door, I would personally go for the screen door. I use that a lot more. There are threads on this site for home-built awnings, and if you went that route, you could save a lot.

The roof lift assist is high on my list of improvements. Since bad backs are an issue, I agree it is a must-have.

Nice looking rig. Looks like mine with two differences, I have a bobcat and my red ranger isn't 4x4.

enjoy

Frank

Thank-you again everyone. I checked info on power cords for charging laptop, camera and cell phone batteries: INPUT: 1.5 amp, .25 amp and 100 mA respectively. Laptop: 100-240V @ 50-60Hz, Camera: 120V @60Hz and cell pnone: 100 mA @ 100-240V OUTPUT: +16.5 V---3.65A, 8.4V---0.9A & 5.2 V---800mA whatever those figures mean. Sorry to be so in a fog here but I was bored to death in physics. I woke up for Art, French & English. I just want an outlet like at home to charge batteries and use laptop, maybe mp3 player (draws less juice than Mac?) and stand alone speakers.

Okay, I am thinking stay with cooler (freeze juices, a block of ice) for short term as we can always get an Engle or similar later, heater (12k BTU forced air), screen door, solar panel, auxiliary battery, lift assist, Fantastik fan (6600 with remote), jack brackets with front swing outs, electric water pump. Later additions would be porta potty and mechanical jacks.

We will not be out in the middle of nowhere for days, at least at first. Our usual habit is to arrive at a destination, scout for photographic potential, go into town to check into motel early if possible, shop at a grocery store for deli sandwiches, water, juice, chips, salsa, cheese, fruit, etc then either return to photo location for late afternoon/evening shot or return to motel/museum/tourism bureau/local park for lunch/photo galleries to awaken early to shoot before sunrise until around 10am. If location has more than 1 or 2 places to shoot (like Zion, Capitol Reef) then repeat. Or on to next destination. Repeat.

We have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma (gorgeous metallic periwinkle blue)so at least it has the metal bed (stronger than composite?). But is it more amenable to rust? Remember Pacific Northwest weather. We have had the bedliner on since we bought it 7 years ago. 95k miles so has lots of wear left. Would the thick rubber mat help prevent rust in bed? Prevent sliing? What about loading, unlading resistance?

Maybe FWC can install USB plugin on monitor like leadsled9 did?

I haven't talked to Stan yet as he is off today so may talk to Tom? Lots of questions but they are becoming more informed so I won't sound like such an idiot.

This forum has been the best. You all are so helpful. We know so littel about RVs. I did stay in a fifth wheeler last summer for 5 days at a rock festival. Very plush deluxe but way too much for us both money and size. Not too portable. Hubby says absolutely not on towing a camper even the Scamp. So, that settles that. I had never even noticed the pop ups until we saw one in Cathedral Gorge State Park in nevada and another in Boulder, Utah. Both very out of the way places. Both on Tacomas.

Hubby is computer illiterate so I ask the questions. Some of this is his input, also. He is retired refinery pipefitter and has always been great at fixing things around the house but since he hurt his back, he isn't up to working in small places. Maybe this camper will change his mind and he will add some personal touches.

Their Apache fabric is gorgeous, just perfect for someone who loves the Southwest. We are still undecided about dinette/sofa option. probably dinette.

Thanks again,
judy

Off hand I'm not sure what voltage the input amp ratings are based on since those chargers take variable input. But long story short you're in reality likely going to only be charging stuff for what 1 hr a day? If so and you're getting that auxiliary battery and solar I wouldn't worry at all.

We don't really use salt in the PNW so I wouldn't be worrying about rust too much all the vehicles I've seen out here are in great shape verse michigan where I'm from and a lot of salt is used. Rubbber mats help with friction but if you've got the turnbuckels done well its not needed (but doesn't hurt).

No idea if FWC is installing USB ports but that link HighZ put up ( http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Use-Vehicle-Charger-Ports-Sockets/dp/B000PB8CQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297653509&sr=8-1 ) would be easy enough to plug into the stock 12V power supply. Or if your husband can do some very basic wiring you could hard wire it in somewhere else by cutting off the cigarette plug.

Okay, I am thinking stay with cooler (freeze juices, a block of ice) for short term as we can always get an Engle or similar later

One of the features about my camper that I enjoy the most is the refrigerator. Mine is a 3-way....but I may go with a front opening Engel when the 3-way dies. I have to admit....with a little bit of annual maintenance the 3-way has been working great!

I have tent camped all my life.....and am sick-and-tired of the mess created by ice chests. You know the routine....4 blocks of ice...hardly any room left for food.....ice melts and everything gets soaked in water. Yuk.

The only Engel I would consider is a built-in one as I don't want to give up any camper floor space for the required footprint.

Off hand I'm not sure what voltage the input amp ratings are based on since those chargers take variable input. But long story short you're in reality likely going to only be charging stuff for what 1 hr a day? If so and you're getting that auxiliary battery and solar I wouldn't worry at all.

We don't really use salt in the PNW so I wouldn't be worrying about rust too much all the vehicles I've seen out here are in great shape verse michigan where I'm from and a lot of salt is used. Rubbber mats help with friction but if you've got the turnbuckels done well its not needed (but doesn't hurt).

No idea if FWC is installing USB ports but that link HighZ put up ( http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Use-Vehicle-Charger-Ports-Sockets/dp/B000PB8CQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297653509&sr=8-1 ) would be easy enough to plug into the stock 12V power supply. Or if your husband can do some very basic wiring you could hard wire it in somewhere else by cutting off the cigarette plug.

Saw this today and it may work for USB and it is cheep.

http://www.13deals.com/

We have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma (gorgeous metallic periwinkle blue)so at least it has the metal bed (stronger than composite?). But is it more amenable to rust? Remember Pacific Northwest weather. We have had the bedliner on since we bought it 7 years ago. 95k miles so has lots of wear left. Would the thick rubber mat help prevent rust in bed? Prevent sliing? What about loading, unlading resistance?

Personally I would not have a drop in as a gift!!! They never allow the truck bed to dry out. Too many folks have removed them to discover some unpleasant surprises!!!

No, a mat alone will not prevent rust. I take mine up periodically and clean both the mat and truck bed. Just normal maintenance IMO.

The very best combo would be the spray in bed liner and the rubber mat. No water, dirt, sand can get in between the liner and bed to cause damage. The mat will keep the camper where it belongs.

Loading/unloading is no problem. You back the truck under then set the camper down.

The very best combo would be the spray in bed liner and the rubber mat. No water, dirt, sand can get in between the liner and bed to cause damage. The mat will keep the camper where it belongs.

Why would you need/want a mat if you have a bed liner? Most of the good ones are fairly rubberish feeling and would provide all the friction you'd want.

If you have any questions after you get your camper, please feel free to get in touch. I purchased an Eagle last May with the dinette, furnace, fridge, and screen door. The unit also has the new roof. Overall, it has been great and I really like the dinette. You may want to ask the factory to install a gutter over the back door, which is a really nice feature for our wet part of the world. I live in Ferndale; althouh until June I will be working at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs.

Steve

Why would you need/want a mat if you have a bed liner? Most of the good ones are fairly rubberish feeling and would provide all the friction you'd want.

You are correct for a lot of linings like Rhino. But the very popular LineX is hard and slick in comparison. I should have been more specific.

Another FWC camper/photographer here throwing in my 2 cents. This camper has definitely made my photography more enjoyable. I have a 2000 Hawk that is on it's second truck and a few things I will throw out is I didn't order mine with a screen door new and ended up adding it later at a much added cost and would not go without it now. I do not have a bad back and would still recommend the roof assist, it's on my wish list. The factory furnace is great and I use it often. I will be changing my couch to a dinette in the future also, just because the couch has never been comfortable to me. Have fun with your new camper, I know I can't wait to get mine out next. My photo site www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz.

Thanks for all the latest entries. We ran into a financial snag but have overcome it so plan to order our new FWC Eagle in the next few weeks. Life is short, live it to the fullest.

I still have a short list of questions to ask Stan, mostly nit picky things to set our minds at ease but he answered a number of them a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile, as we await the date to retrieve it, we will check out spray on liners, rubber mats, different suspension/springs systems and make a short list of places to explore/camp in the PNW. Neither of us has been to Mt Rainier. Sheeesh.

We have stayed within our budget and have added items which you all have recommended. We would have never considered the screen door as a necessity but your experiences have shown otherwise.

Marblecreek: you are pretty close by. The new doors are rounded on top and have a rain gutter especially for our rainy weather. We also went with FWC becaus eof seamless roof and inside storm flaps.

GpnAZ: checked out your photos and envy you being able to photograph the Wahweap Hoodoos and Pariah area. As we venture further from home, we hope to be there, too. I got as far as Kanab a year ago. Somehow, the Southwest appeals to me more than any other area in the US because it differs so greatly from our corner. Eastern Oregon is similar, just not as dramatic. Thanks for letting us know this works for you as a photographer. Jack Dykinga can't be wrong.

Eagle model: screen door, power assist lift (hubby's back), propane heater, 3 way fridge, Fantastik Fan (6600 with remote), solar panel, auxiliary battery, mechanical jacks/brackets and dinette option.

I am not sure on one point: whether to add springs/stabilizers before loading or after. I did read where it should be done later. On our return from picking up our camper, we may go to Oregon Coast North or swing over to Eastern Oregon/Palouse for photography depending on pick up date.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It made for easier decisions to hear firsthand about your experiences. And we can't wait to get on with adventures we will be sure to have.

http://www.clikrf8images.com/

Back
Top Bottom