Building Our New Camper

Thanks Mark! I'm definitely concerned with CO emissions and you've given me something to think about and research more.

GroovyDad said:
Thanks Mark! I'm definitely concerned with CO emissions and you've given me something to think about and research more.
Be concerned...but don't let that scare you off from catalytic heaters if you like their silent, no-electrical-draw operation.
I've used my Wave 6 for several years -- including at elevations above 10,000 feet, and as I describe here, the CO levels while I'm using the Wave are barely detectable, down in the noise. Of course, that's only true because I'm providing sufficient ventilation (probably more than I need, in fact).

(sorry, ski3pin, for the hijack from your topic)

Ski3pin,

Love the build, very solid and well laid out. I'll likely steal more than a few of your ideas! I was wondering how you like the truckfridge TF51? and how is the wave 3 working out? Can you post a few picks of the interior including the bed area? How has it been after almost a year, any changes/improvements you would do? Finally for now, how much off the regular shell price were you? I am planning a similar build without sink/stove for now on a Tacoma.

Thanks so much
Don

mtnflyer, thanks for the kind comments. After a year and around 67 nights, we are very pleased and "at home" with our camper. I will be updating this thread and our blog in the next few weeks with further details about our layout and how its working. About the truckfridge, it is working great. We really prefer the chest style fridge as it seems much more efficient with power use. As we have the chest fridge across the floor under the front window, we do wish we had seen the Dometic 51 liter fridge as the door opens crossways instead of length wise. That would be more convenient. I think the two are very similar (except for price).

We like the wave 3 for keeping us warm on the winter nights and scrabble games. We do not heat when asleep. We do use the forced air furnace for warm up when we wake in the morning and then turn it over to the wave. I expect there are many that do fine with just the wave alone.

Sorry, but I don't understand your question about regular shell price? Are you asking what our build cost above the price of the shell? We bought the stove, sink, fridge, battery, solar panel. We were fairly cheap on the countertop as I laminated it. Other than that it was time.............................

Ski3Pin, how did you cut your Formica for your table without it chipping? That stuff is brittle. I've heard of using a plywood blade on a circular saw, tin snips and even a router.

I'll be cutting some in the next month or so...

Ski3pin,

thanks for the answers, regarding the cost, you say the width was changed and you moved the door I think? Just wondering if that was above the regular shell listed price. I really like it that ATC will do some minor changes unlike FWC.

Bill,

I like your build as well.

My goal is too have a lighter basecamp style camper for hiking and paragliding. You're ideas are a great help!

mtnflyer, ATC made the minor changes for me as to narrower width and door as part of my build. These guys are just great to work with to get the camper that fits your needs.

Ski3pin, amazing work and 67 nights already - we are envious! Would you mind sharing what material you used for the cold weather pack? I was planning on making one using Insul-Bright from Joanns but it requires fabric covering on both sides so a lot more sewing. Thanks.

Excellent build, documentation. Thank you for posting all this!

The rotopax is an great addition, especially for those fuel capacity challenged rigs. But, I wonder about mounting it above the furnace vent. How hot does it get back there?
--
Pat the worry wart

wuck, we did give that issue much thought. Only the exhaust vent on the very bottom gets warm and the furnace is only used in cold temperatures where the heat dissipates very quickly.

Ok, did you happen to notice what they used to paint the outside wood (gray)? A lot of us need to refinish our flooring but not sure what FWC and ATC use.
Thanks.

Next time I have the camper off the truck and I see I want to add a coat or two to the floor pack, I'll give ATC a call and find out. Sorry I didn't write that one down. :)

A few years back there was a topic or two posted on what owners were using/buying to recoat along with recommendations.

Glidden floor & porch (the polyurethane oil based one NOT the latex) was the recommendation back when, not sure if that has changed. It coats well, holds up well (in a truck bed) and is cost effective at mid 20s/gallon. Homedepot carries it.

There are some extremely durable high build two part products out there too but they cost magnitudes more, are quite smelly, and would be a PITA applying upside down.

ski3pin said:
Thanks pods8!
Oh the triva knowledge of camper tidbits from all the nerding I have done that are floating in my head... let me know when they have a game show. :p

First time I went to Westmarine and got something for boats. Second time I just used the porch paint Home Depot had after using the sealer.

Back
Top Bottom