Bundutec Side entry Flat bed

kmacafee

Greetings

I just took delivery of my New camper on Monday. There are pictures and videos on BundutecUSA Facebook page. I’ll post more when I have time.

Maybe there should be a new Forum section dedicated to this company. They are fantastic to work with, and build a quality product.

Cheers

Here are a few more pictures. I plan on doing a full write up with pics soon. We will be testing it out this week.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1539004872064.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539004872064.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • FB_IMG_1539004860151.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539004860151.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2,793
I finally have some time to post a description of the build. It was done in three phases.

Phase 1 -- Replace my Tacoma
We were looking for a truck that could carry 4 people and get a camper that was both bigger than our FWC Eagle and designed around our needs. We loved the Eagle and used it a lot but we wanted a comfy place to sit in when the weather was less than stellar, and more room to take our granddaughter camping.

I narrowed my search down to a 1 ton Ram gasser and after a few months searching, purchased a 2015 Laramie edition for an excellent price and with only 18,000 miles on it. It has way more bells and whistles than I typically get (heated/cooled seats, leather) but I really liked the fold flat platform in the back and the price was right.

20180609_095155.jpeg

Phase 2 -- Build a Flatbed

We really wanted a Flatbed model for the space so I needed to find a manufacturer who could build what I wanted. Alumline in Cresco, Iowa is close by and they were willing to do a custom build. There are storage boxes fore and aft of the rear wheels and I added a drawer, accessible from the back, that extends the full length of the bed. One of the boxes was large enough that I permanently mounted my ExtremeAire compressor in one and ran the airline to a quick release at the rear of the bed. Alumline had a person who bought my original bed and paid what I thought was a fair price.

Build quality is great and everything works very well. Their customer service experience is not great but ultimately, I got what I wanted.

20180627_121009.jpeg
20180928_141509.jpeg
20180928_141524.jpeg

Stay tuned for Phase 3.

Phase 3 -- The Camper

We looked at all the major camper builders who had built flatbed models who were within our budget and willing to customize a few things so we could get what we wanted. After visiting a number of places, we settled on Bundutec in Raymond, Iowa. Rory, the owner, has 40 years in the camping industry, having previously owned Northstar Campers. Jenn, his General Manager, has been with him for years and together, they run a great company.

We visited them in March and were very impressed with their products and general approach. They build their campers using a wood frame and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being less than crazy about a wooden built camper. But, having owned wooden boats and seeing their build process, I became comfortable enough to place an order.

Rory is willing to build pretty much anything a customer wants assuming it makes sense. My wife wanted an indoor toilet and I wanted to use a National Luna Fridge I had rather than a vertical fridge. Rory admitted he had never built a side entry flatbed camper but said he was up to the task and off we went. He was also willing to let me source a few things and he would install them for me.

The interior is somewhat similar to the layout that FWC uses with one custom change -- a hidden compartment for the National Luna fridge. In my Eagle, I mounted it over the water tank but it took up a lot of space and it was difficult to access when the top was down. Rory's solution was to mount the fridge on a slide and tuck it away under the bed.

20181001_104238.jpeg 20181001_104223.jpeg

The rear dinette has plety of room for seating and folds flat to a bed, perfect for my granddaugter. The table top is due soon and will double as the platform to make the bed.

20181001_104542.jpeg

The bed area is a full queen size and has storage bins on both sides. At the top of one side is a 12 volt and USB port. The entire bed lifts up and there are three massive storage bins that run the length of the bed.

20181001_104159.jpeg

My wife gets her toilet -- a Thetford cassette model. Access to the tank is on the outside.

unnamed (1).jpg

The kitchen includes a two burner stove and a large sink that are topped with glass. Plenty of drawer and cabinet space. On the front of the cabinet is the satellite radio I added and the speakers are at the end of the bed platform.

20181001_104150.jpeg 20181001_104310.jpeg

These are the controls for the Truma Combi furnace and hot water heater and the solar controller. I added 340W of solar from AM Solar. The Truma is extremely efficient and so quiet, you cannot hear it running.

unnamed.jpg

I also purchased a QuickPitch shower enclosure and it is mounted next to the outdoor shower controls outside.

unnamed (2).jpg

We will be adding Torklift stairs at some point but they are backordered. The 4 foot ladder works well.

20181001_135628.jpeg

A few outside pictures.

FB_IMG_1539004860151.jpeg FB_IMG_1539004872064.jpeg

We will take our maiden voyage camping the next few nights and will be definitely testing the furnace -- its expected to get into the 20's at night. I'll post more pictures with the roof up and the awning extended when we return.

Cheers

I really like the set up, makes me want to go back to a pop up again!
Looking forward to interior pics and how it works in the real world.

Les,lqhikers

^ Thanks for the pics kmacafee. Looks well finished.

Would you be willing tell us a bit about the lift system and how you like it ?

Also regarding the entry height, on your's it looks typical of a flatbed side entry. am considering going that route next time, but that climb is a concern for me and especially for a pet. Do you have any issues or thoughts on this ? Would a grab bar be welcome ?

Thanks,

klahanie said:

Also regarding the entry height, on your's it looks typical of a flatbed side entry. am considering going that route next time, but that climb is a concern for me and especially for a pet. Do you have any issues or thoughts on this ? Would a grab bar be welcome ?

Thanks,
Coming from a FWC where I needed help to lift the roof, it’s great. There are small servo motors at the lifts that work from a switch.

There is a grab bar that folds flat for travel that is not clear in the picture. My flatbed is probably 4-6 inches taller than normal as I have a drawer that runs the length of the flatbed and opens from the rear. Those Torklift steps are amazingly sturdy and stout. No bounce at all.

klahanie said:

Thanks,
Coming from a FWC where I needed help to lift the roof, it’s great. There are small servo motors at the lifts that work from a switch.

There is a grab bar that folds flat for travel that is not clear in the picture. My flatbed is probably 4-6 inches taller than normal as I have a drawer that runs the length of the flatbed and opens from the rear. Those Torklift steps are amazingly sturdy and stout. No bounce at all.

^ Sorry, I missed the grab bar, see it now.

Surprised about the steps but in a good way now. They actually look pretty substantial so I think a medium sized dog would be okay with them.

Thanks

Well thought out. Our folding stairs are no challenge for our Boxer.
You'll be waay more comfortable in the Bundutec.
Really nice.

Back
Top Bottom