Bus Depot Awning

Rob in MT

Anyone ever use one of these? Seems like it might work pretty well, w/ the pole setups, although I wonder how well it would do in the wind. Seems like a good value.

I built this out of a couple of tent poles and some drapery panels. It's attached to awning rail and works great. My new one will be out of Sunbrella fabric.

Attachments

• Copy of FWC Awning 001-PLCopy-(1).jpg
    Copy of FWC Awning 001-PLCopy-(1).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 278
Thanks, that looks like a great setup. In the picture I can't see the awning rail detail. How is the tarp attached to the rail and how is it attached to the camper? Just sheet metal screws? Looks like those are adjustable tent poles.

Thanks, that looks like a great setup. In the picture I can't see the awning rail detail. How is the tarp attached to the rail and how is it attached to the camper? Just sheet metal screws? Looks like those are adjustable tent poles.

The awning rail is attached with the same hex head screws that are on the roof of the camper. The rail is on both sides of the camper so you don't need to move the truck around. Awning cord is sewn to the inboard side of the fabric and you just slide it into the awning rail. I sewed an open ended pocket into the outboard end of the fabric. A length of metal conduit with the ends flattened and drilled to fit the pointed ends of the tent poles slides into the pocket. The other end of the poles can be attached to the jack brackets as shown or placed on the ground. Either way they can be tied down with pegs and line if need be. As you can see this was a huge awning. I believe the dimensions were 6'x8'. I intend to make the new awning 8' wide and the length size adjustable with a flap on the outboard end.

There probably wasn't more than a couple of hours invested in this awning and I had the poles and material so it was basically free. The new awning will be made from either Outdura or Sunbrella. The poles are at Campmore for $27. The 54" fabric is $15 a yd and I'll need 6 yards to do what I have in mind. The awning rail is $30 for both sides of the camper. The conduit is $2 or $3 and I have the cord. So a total of $153 and a couple of hours labor and sewing and I'll have a gorgeous awning. I particularly like that it is off the ground.

Since I used to sew all the canvas on my boats and this is just straight stitching I didn't find it to challenging. Because of the thickness of the awning chord you do need to take care when you sew it to the awning fabric so just go very slow and you should be fine with a home machine like mine.

I hope that wasn't TMI.

Sorry, forgot the link.

http://www.busdepot....ails/awning.jsp

Never seen one like this before, thanks for the link. I like the design, would be great to see one to see how heavy duty the fabric or fiberglass poles are or how you'd attach it to the camper.

Haven't seen Jay's awning rail either but i like the pictures and I've had great results with sunbrella fabric. Could the bus depot wheel mount kit be used with his setup? Sounds like his next design will be two 54" x 9' tarps for a cost similar to the bus depot unit.

hey Rob there are alot of posts about awings in ultimate awning thread, check it out. here's a link to the set up I got its on the rear but all it take is a track mounted on the side and it could be mounted on the side.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1425/page__hl__awnings__fromsearch__1

Jay,

Could you take some close up pics of the rail attachment. Looks like you have done a good job there.

Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff,
I sold that camper at the same time I started my ATC Dealership but I managed to message a few older pix to give you an idea of what I did. You can also see where I notched the railing to accommodate the roof latch. I'm sure there are better set ups out there but my main thrust was to come up with something that would be off ground. This worked extremely well and I'm doing it again on the new Cougar coming in July.

Attachments

• Awning 1.jpg
    Awning 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Awning 2.jpg
    Awning 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 192
  • Awning 3.jpg
    Awning 3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 196

Back
Top Bottom