Buy FWC, Quit Jobs, Drive to Argentina

Bill D said:
I looked at your blog and it looks like you took everything but the kitchen sink. I'd love to see a photo of all that gear packed up and inside your FWC.

I also have to wonder if you feel that you have enough or you have too much.

We used to be masters of tent camping and knew exactly what to bring and what not to bring. After 6 months of owning my loaded 2013 Hawk, I'm still trying to figure out what to bring and what not to bring.

In your case you abandoned everything in your day to day life. In my case I'm still transferring things from the house to the camper after each trip until I figure out what works and what does not and then appropriately equipping the camper with specialized items specifically for the camper, that will stay with the camper.

ie. I have a 12" cast iron frying pan, but I just purchased a 10" non stick pan as well. I was't sure whether a 6 or 8" pan would have been a better choice.

Sooooooo...... how are thing going for you? What works, what does not work?
Finally got around to getting some pictures of the camper loaded...

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Fellow Travelers,

Your trip sounds great. My wife and I did this twice. Quit our jobs, sold house, and spent a YEAR on the road (above artic circle). We did it in a Landrover Distovery (and a tent) before we had our Eagle. A couple of recommendations:

* Most of what you take, you won't need (but you won't know until later what is essential).
* Recommend making a bug netting to go around the awning (removable).
* Check out the magazine called "Overland Journal". Great stories about people who do what you are doing.

I built my Eagle from a shell about 8 years ago. I love it. I weld, so I was able to weld a steel box that is part of an equipment stacking rack in back of the truck seats (Nissan Frontier with removed jump seats). I also have a secret safe built into the bumper system (also welded myself). I am a 'no frills" kind of 4-wheeler. No frig, no water heater, no electric pumps. My feeling is that all of these things can break. Keep it simple if you are going to be in really remote places.

Have a GREAT time!

Chris

Yukon said:
Fellow Travelers,

Your trip sounds great. My wife and I did this twice. Quit our jobs, sold house, and spent a YEAR on the road (above artic circle). We did it in a Landrover Distovery (and a tent) before we had our Eagle. A couple of recommendations:

* Most of what you take, you won't need (but you won't know until later what is essential).
* Recommend making a bug netting to go around the awning (removable).
* Check out the magazine called "Overland Journal". Great stories about people who do what you are doing.

I built my Eagle from a shell about 8 years ago. I love it. I weld, so I was able to weld a steel box that is part of an equipment stacking rack in back of the truck seats (Nissan Frontier with removed jump seats). I also have a secret safe built into the bumper system (also welded myself). I am a 'no frills" kind of 4-wheeler. No frig, no water heater, no electric pumps. My feeling is that all of these things can break. Keep it simple if you are going to be in really remote places.

Have a GREAT time!

Chris
Wow, when's trip #3 Chris?!? I bet you guys have overlanding down to a science by now.

Thanks for the advice. We've decided to give our gear a trial run in the U.S. and see what we should get rid of before crossing into Baja. The rig doesn't "feel" heavy but the lighter the better...and easier to organize. A bug netting would have been amazing to have in South Dakota...so many flies! We'll have to consider getting one. We've also read quite a few stories from Overland Journal...great stuff.

Really wish I knew how to weld. If I did, I'd have figured out a jerry can mount by now...the Tundra's range is pretty limited so this is something I'll need to address.

I was a 'no frills' hiker and am slooowly learning how to apply this to overlanding. Speaking of things breaking...we're stuck in Jackson WY waiting for a shop to open after the holiday weekend. Found a CV boot leaking grease everywhere during a quick inspection of the rig. Had to leave a great boondocking site that was overlooking the Grand Tetons and head into tourist central....such is life.

TravelAmateurs said:
Finally got around to getting some pictures of the camper loaded...
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. It looks like it all packed away quite nicely.

I try to keep a positive outlook when it comes to balancing space and convenience. It's fun to improvise and make items multi-use.

Stan@FourWheel said:
Adding a gas can mount should not be that hard.

If you e-mail directly at ... stan@fourwh.com I can send you pictures of what I have seen customers install.

No welding required.

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/categories/FUEL-%26-WATER/Can-Holders/

:)
Thanks Stan. Really appreciate how you guys take the time to help out FWC customers. Just another reason we love our FWC....although we got a bit jealous after seeing the loaded silver spur Hawk outside of the Jackson Hole FWC.

Those AT jerry can holders are the prefect option. We were trying to avoid that purchase but it looks like the best option. Might have to pick one up when we pass by in CA. We've been discussing adding roof lift struts and a fog light to the Hawk as well.

TravelAmateurs said:
Thanks Stan. Really appreciate how you guys take the time to help out FWC customers. Just another reason we love our FWC....although we got a bit jealous after seeing the loaded silver spur Hawk outside of the Jackson Hole FWC.

Those AT jerry can holders are the prefect option. We were trying to avoid that purchase but it looks like the best option. Might have to pick one up when we pass by in CA. We've been discussing adding roof lift struts and a fog light to the Hawk as well.
The jerry can sounds like a good investment/insurance, being you will be travelling deep into South America. I couldn't imagine not having one on a trip like that. The piece of mind itself would be worth it, being you are travelling into the unknown. You might end up helping someone else. You may use it to start a fire in damp conditions etc. Perhaps you get bad fuel along they way and need some good fuel. You may even use it to barter at some point.

Anyhow... best of luck. Hopefully you never need to use it :)

I strongly recommend a larger fuel tank for the tundra. South of the border, Jerry cans have a way of disappearing while you are sleeping...

I was also planning outside USA travel and welded together this cage that fits on my swing-out bumper. It opens from the top and has a padlock. Shovel mounted on the side (not locked). In winter I put my snowshoes in this box and lock them up.
Chris

Attachments

• Gas cage.JPG
    Gas cage.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 170
Bill D said:
The jerry can sounds like a good investment/insurance, being you will be travelling deep into South America. I couldn't imagine not having one on a trip like that. The piece of mind itself would be worth it, being you are travelling into the unknown. You might end up helping someone else. You may use it to start a fire in damp conditions etc. Perhaps you get bad fuel along they way and need some good fuel. You may even use it to barter at some point.

Anyhow... best of luck. Hopefully you never need to use it :)
Thanks! Those are all good reasons to bring one...we definitely agree. Just got back to service/civilization so we'll see what our budget/time allows us to put on the rig.

Yukon said:
I was also planning outside USA travel and welded together this cage that fits on my swing-out bumper. It opens from the top and has a padlock. Shovel mounted on the side (not locked). In winter I put my snowshoes in this box and lock them up.
Chris
Nice!!! We toyed with getting a hitch mounted gear rack that flips up. Thought we could mount a jerry can to it and keep the rack locked in the upright (flipped-up) position to block the door. Wouldn't be nearly as nice as your option though.

Back
Top Bottom