Buying advice.

dgknows

Been watching craigslist ,website and others for a while for a used pop-up.
One popped up locally today a 97 Ranger 2 that would fit my Tacoma. I’m scheduled to buy it. Can’t believe I was first in line just randomly looked on craigslist
Canvas was replaced with no windows that needs to change. In The pictures it looks pretty solid and he’s asking 6500 what do you guys think. Have pictures to add
Thanks
Don.

Gotten so much Good advice on this website hoping for some more
Thanks
Don

Attachments

• 8AD39B0A-5E6E-4E76-9005-C5D44702D49E.jpeg
    8AD39B0A-5E6E-4E76-9005-C5D44702D49E.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 174
  • D128EBD3-11C3-4AAC-8815-61F53861F60F.jpeg
    D128EBD3-11C3-4AAC-8815-61F53861F60F.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DDD5569A-3367-4809-B2C1-BDC3239998FE.jpeg
    DDD5569A-3367-4809-B2C1-BDC3239998FE.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 204
Hello dgknows
Congrats on your find. Well first I'd camp in a few times first, reason I say that is we don't always open our upper windows. That said we do have four of them, and if I ever got another, or had to replace the upper fabric one in each side. Either both in the middle, or one over the kitchen, the other over the bed area. Again not sure it's sound advice just what I think I'd do differently. We do have two fantastic fans.
Don't forget to take a couple of shots when you get the camper
:)

Russ

Thanks Russ.
Good advice. My wife and I have camped for 35 years together ( since high school). We’ve had tents , tent trailers travel trailer. And a cabover hardside. (Top heavy).
We really like back country camping.
Looked at getting a FWC or ATC shell and built out. Do you think this camper is a fair price? $ 6500. A shell would be about double.
Thanks
Don

Don, if the Ranger is in really great shape, that’s not a bad price. I’d still negotiate the price.

Give the ATC team a call about windows in the vinyl. I suspect it will need to be removed to do the job.

Don,
I had a 2000 Ranger (8ft bed) and we loved that camper. It was well built by the guys who now own ATC.

The price does seem a little high but it looks to be in very good condition. Check out the headliner for any water leaks over the years. Use any issues you find in the negotiation. A fridge that age is the only thing that might be a concern. On the other hand, for what these are going for on the used market, if you really like it then go for it.

As far as the windows go, we hardly ever open ours, even for light.

Thanks guys
Yeah I’m less than 2 hour drive to ATC. My daughter and family are about 20 minutes away from them. My wife and I were there last week. I kinda of talked them into building a Ocelot shell to fit my Tacoma. Then this came up.

Been in contact with another guy who has a had a 06 8’ ranger nice shape. He’s texted me back few times.

Wife really wants a Porta Potti for to pee in the night
Probably add a water system.

So my other guy with the 06 Ranger 96” long. contacted me. Said he would meet me 1/2 way. He’s about a 10 hour drive. If I gave him a $150 deposit. Seems fair. Said to call him Going to talk on the phone. It’s definitely nicer newer. And the wife really wants it:). $9500.
I’ll post some pictures
Thanks
Really appreciate the input.
have a trailer but want to explore back road camping.
Thanks again22B52407-17E0-487C-B837-B096E983AFB2.jpeg

Attachments

• B2F9A149-6224-4003-AB96-AA7FBAE87208.jpeg
    B2F9A149-6224-4003-AB96-AA7FBAE87208.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 3B38B59D-FFE6-45BD-A577-230F4E8A41D0.jpeg
    3B38B59D-FFE6-45BD-A577-230F4E8A41D0.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 155
  • 151B2B42-34E6-4F55-8CF1-159FEA7E5BA7.jpeg
    151B2B42-34E6-4F55-8CF1-159FEA7E5BA7.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 118
Some thoughts ...

We have a '97 Granby. I noticed the lack of windows on the '97 and wondered if that was the arctic pak shown. Not sure now but does seems odd to me that it wouldn't have been built without windows.

Also the window is a newer style than ours. Our siding is an off white. Hard to say in the pics but the '97 looks a different colour. For sure some exterior bits have been painted. Interior looks orig except the sink and cooktop on ours is bare stainless. If the ones in the pic are orig, they appear to have stood up pretty to 22 yrs of use.

What all this means to me is the camper appears to me to have had some work done to it. Not a bad thing or unexpected just you prob won't know how much and why. Nothing necessarily wrong with an old camper tho, we have one and it still works very well. But I'd include how long you want to keep it into the value equation. Also rear lights are not a bad thing to have, or the corner jacks. And if you are close to ATC they could do repairs/upgrades if desired which is a bonus.

The 06 looks orig and in good shape. The composite lift panels are nice, the interior struts not so much. Has the windows for light and has a power vent. The extra length will be welcome inside, but the unit is long. I notice the siding paint is worn, presumably where the pick up box ended. That could give an idea on how much overhang there might be - something to think about. You'd want (and need) those cable jacks. They look in new condition. I wonder if trailer is included ?

Pricing ?, I don't follow used. Well we paid 9300 so I guess they do keep their value.

Good luck !

ON EDIT I see the 06 front window is the non slider type. The slider on the 97 might be useful but also might leak driving in heavy rain.

Looks like you have some hard choices.
How will your Tacoma handle the extra length?
The 06 looks a bit nicer.
Those extra 9 years could have some problems.
You just have to go with your gut (and what the wife wants/thinks).
Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Frank

Yeah the newer 06 seems like the obvious choice. Is
$9500 a fair price?
We’re both under 6’ feet tall. Anyone know the bed size. Would like to be able to sleep across. And probably add hot water and fridge. Thinking of calling FWC in the morning get the specifics. Have nothing spec wise on it. Looking for a fleet. Or ATC talked about modifying a Ocelot for a Tacoma
We’re about 2 hour drive to them.
He’s more less holding it till Tuesday.
Thanks for the insight

Not sure if the Ranger is the same size as the ATC Bobcat.
We sleep across the camper works great for us.
The Bobcat has slide out and extra cushions but have never use them.
For 10 years now they are lost in the garage.
Don't know about prices.13 years newer for a FWC would be about 7K more.Just a guess though.
Info from FWC/ATC would help.
Frank

Helps a lot.
We’ve checked out the fleet and bobcat.
ATC said they probably would build a ocelot shell to fit a Tacoma,
Wanted the extra width.
Haven’t checked out any FWC Ranger’s. And the guy wants a 150 up front to meet half way. Which is understandable.

New style of camping for us. Want to do road trips and backroads camping. Away from the crowds.

Appreciate the input

I had a 2000 Ranger on a 2000 Tundra. We loved that camper...

It is narrow, and it is long. On the Tundra it went to the top of the tailgate. On a Tacoma it will be 6 inches past your lowered tailgate.

You sleep length wise, in that it has an extended bed (I can see the extension in the photo). Ours had a thin mattress because both pieces stacked in the overhang when folded up. They listed the width as 69" and that may have been the outside.

Here is a picture of mine on the Gen 1 Tundra. As a reference, the Tundra has a 6.5 ft bed and an 18" high tailgate.

20070609010.jpg

I have more pictures here, including dimensions, that might be of help. https://jimj.smugmug.com/Other/FWC-Ranger/i-kFcwvnf

I think you would find that a 96 inch Ranger is too long for your tacoma. That is a lot of weight hanging over the back axel. As a Fleet owner with a Tacoma I think you would find it is as long as makes sense for a Tacoma with a long bed. Even my Fleet is about 300 lbs over weight, but is more balanced front to back and with small modifications of tires, shocks and air bags works fine. I would not want more weight off the back.

Yeah
Thanks for all the input. The guy was telling me it would work. Said it would only come to the end of the tailgate.
Glad I didn’t move forward. Called FWC camper today they confirmed its to long.
Found this pictures online
Thanks

Attachments

• 99D34E71-A1B6-4305-840A-108FEDC2D905.jpeg
    99D34E71-A1B6-4305-840A-108FEDC2D905.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 61959E9A-7FC1-4134-8A21-079DF8FEFED4.jpeg
    61959E9A-7FC1-4134-8A21-079DF8FEFED4.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 77
Strange that no windows were put in the new "canvas." However, it may not be a bad thing, especially if you plan on using it in a colder climate.

I have been wondering what it would be like to cut windows in. I don't know exactly what the material used but in your potential camper but, many folks seem to be using a similar produce to some inflatable boat builders. Boats are either glued or welded together. So I imagine you could probably glue or even weld in screens and fabric flats and the works. Just a thought I have been having, never tried it.

The guy wants to hold off showing the camper till Saturday now. He’s working.
Gives me more time to look into it. Going to Rocklin Thursday. Stopping at FWC’s and going to talk to them about it. It’s going to be my second camper. Keeping my trailer to. Want the camper for Dirtbike camping with the grandkids. And some road trips. I’m past sleeping on the ground.
See if I can talk the guy down on the price others have said it’s slightly high.
No windows
And he said the fridge doesn’t work
Looks like it’s been painted on the outside
Thanks
Guys

Hmmmm, that would make my spider sense tingle...
dgknows said:
The guy wants to hold off showing the camper till Saturday now. He’s working.
Gives me more time to look into it. Going to Rocklin Thursday. Stopping at FWC’s and going to talk to them about it. It’s going to be my second camper. Keeping my trailer to. Want the camper for Dirtbike camping with the grandkids. And some road trips. I’m past sleeping on the ground.
See if I can talk the guy down on the price others have said it’s slightly high.
No windows
And he said the fridge doesn’t work
Looks like it’s been painted on the outside
Thanks
Guys

Sent a bunch of pictures to the guys at all terrain campers
I think I should pass I’m not really in the position to take on another project especially at that price.

Back
Top Bottom